Author Topic: Question regarding wood heater in greenhouse.  (Read 1279 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Question regarding wood heater in greenhouse.
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:41:00 AM »
Hi! I'm starting to set the heating in the greenhouse , i have the pictured wood stove and i will be using this, my plan for a heating with water ,connected to the house's heating system will prolly not be a fact till winter so, will work with what i have. I am expecting losses due to cold, hopefully the stove will do the trick.
Back to the thing...i was wondering if i need some kind of a barier between the heater and the plants ,which are fairly close to it as u see. Was thinking of mounting the bricks on theyr sides as i have shown in the pics. Now it will be better to have something thats not stationary and i can remove once spring comes. And becouse of this i thought about surounding the stove with bricks ,placed on theyr flat sides, without fixing them together with glues and such ,just like in the last two pics.
The main question is do i need all of this, can i just pass with tying the closest plants somewhat away from the heat and be good ??

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:44:10 AM by Plantinyum »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding wood heater in greenhouse.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:20:51 AM »
Put some less important plants near the heater and see :)

I have an overhead hot-air-blower heater in my greenhouse.  It blows directly above a jackfruit and cherimoya tree, and sometimes if a branch grows into the flow it browns and dies.  Overally the impact has been very minor.  I think of it as free pruning.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
Put some less important plants near the heater and see :)

I have an overhead hot-air-blower heater in my greenhouse.  It blows directly above a jackfruit and cherimoya tree, and sometimes if a branch grows into the flow it browns and dies.  Overally the impact has been very minor.  I think of it as free pruning.
The stationary plants that are near are a cherimoya, two pasifloras ,guava and a tea camelia. I think i could do the buffer with the bricks,my second idea with them....they will be like a heat releaser, without the heat draft . I was brainstorming about putting a pan or something on the stove to heat water also....
Thanks for the inform Brian !

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 07:59:02 PM »
Interesting... keep us updated.

Kevin

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 09:35:44 PM »
I'm not sure of this is applicable or not, but we once heated a covered structure for dragon fruit with a three wood fires. It was pretty smokey in there, but they kept the temperature well below the damage point. Unfortunately, most of the draginfruit vines yellowed and became sickly shortly there after. In one spot where the cover had blown off, the vines fared much better even though they were exposed to the elements more. I always figured that there was something in the smoke (ethylene?) that killed the vines.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 10:22:50 PM »
I've been running an unvented natural gas heater for years with no issues (with CO and CO2 sensors), but a smokey fire is probably pushing it too far. 

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 01:09:25 AM »
Ok now i'm worried !! The sraight chimney should vetn the gasses yp and away, i dunno if its clear but i will have a chimney ! Usually when i have started the fire on such stoves it is smokey while its starting, then it does not smoke.
I may have to buy a C02 sensor then....

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 01:40:33 AM »
If you have a chimney you should be okay.  Definitely get a carbon monoxide detector though

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 02:24:28 AM »
If you have a chimney you should be okay.  Definitely get a carbon monoxide detector though
yeah i didnt think for a sec i wouldnt need a chimney....i checked the co2 measuring systems and i should say, my god they are EXPENSIVE!! i could not afford them at the moment ,maybe for the next season. . I will have to vent for brief periods each day when the fire is on. I will be setting a venting system, yet this project is also for the next season ....

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
I found both CO and CO2 detectors for cheap.  Check amazon, they shouldn't be more than like $20.  You probably don't need CO2 unless your greenhouse is very tightly sealed

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »
I found both CO and CO2 detectors for cheap.  Check amazon, they shouldn't be more than like $20.  You probably don't need CO2 unless your greenhouse is very tightly sealed
Yeah i found all sorts on amazon, so i need the c0 and not the co2?
Is your device from amazon also ? Thank u ! 🙂
The gh is as i think tightly sealed , minimal leaks from the doors ...

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »
I forget if mine are from Amazon or Home Depot/Lowes.

CO is much more important.  It can kill you with no warning. 

High CO2 means oxygen is being depleted and above 10,000ppm (really high) becomes mildly dangerous, but you'll start feeling sick before it becomes deadly. 

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 11:48:15 AM »
I forget if mine are from Amazon or Home Depot/Lowes.

CO is much more important.  It can kill you with no warning. 

High CO2 means oxygen is being depleted and above 10,000ppm (really high) becomes mildly dangerous, but you'll start feeling sick before it becomes deadly.
Thanks, i found several on ali express, i will order from them !
Will focus on the CO then...

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Just an update on this, today, an hour ago i started the fire in the woodstove for the first time, and the results were ...
My idea with the bricks i think was spot on, i fired it without the bricks and the heat arround it was just too strong for some of the plants and i got a little burn on cherimoya and passiflora leaves from it. They are just too close to the stove but i must work with what i have and will find a solution to this somehow.
Next ,outside the temp is 6 C ,inside before the fire was started it was 10C, thats the usual amplitude that i get inside compared to the outside, i had the observation that as the outside temp gets colder, the amplitude is greater. With the fire going now for abbout an hour the temp has been increased to 19.5 C . I dunno if the stove will be enough in the death of winter where we may get to minus 15-20C . I will def need a way to retain the heat via blanckets and stuffs through those times.
I am prepairing for a total loss this year, especially with the horrible weather predictions for the upcomming winter ,and if it happens i may end up planting citrus in this greenhouse.....everyone wish me luck !!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 10:46:46 AM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk