Author Topic: First fruiting - Campomanesia guazumifolia  (Read 1664 times)

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
First fruiting - Campomanesia guazumifolia
« on: September 08, 2021, 01:47:57 PM »
Finally fruited my Campomanesia guazumifolia, from seeds I obtained from Vitor some years back. I have to say that this has not been the easiest plant for me to grow, as it seems to prefer more humidity than I can readily give it. It struggled for the first few years, until I placed it in the middle of a bunch of other potted plants, where because of the density it was a much more humid micro-climate.  Once there it took off, doubling in size the first year and nearly doubling again the second.  Unfortunately It outgrew its spot, and after moving it to a more open location it is back to struggling a bit.

Anyway, it flowered for the first time last year but did not set any fruit.  This year it set an abundance of fruit,  and I have been enjoying them for the past week or so.  The fruit is around 1 inch in diameter, flattened and yellow green to yellow in color. the skin has a fuzz, similar to a peach that does not wash off, and while it does not bother me, some people might find it a bit irritating.  the flavor is sweet to sub-acid, depending on the ripeness with flavors of apricot and guava.  Its relation to the Psidiums is evident in the texture, with a slight graininess near the skin and a more gelatinous pulp in the center. Overall a very enjoyable fruit, but not as good as my Campomanesia adamantium.

Cheers,
Richard

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: First fruiting - Campomanesia guazumifolia
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 02:51:04 PM »
Awesome and thank you for your post, really helped me better understand what mine needs. Mine has also been crushing it and doubled in size this year and put out a few weak flowers. It makes sense about the humidity, mine has been way happier in my greenhouse dead center. It wasn't doing as well when it was by the door. Do you have yours in full sun?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 04:32:29 PM »
Cool Richard
Shane

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 05:21:53 PM »
congratulations!

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 01:24:48 AM »
Very nice!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 10:53:35 AM »
nice job very cool.

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
How many different Compoanesia species are you growing, Richard?

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 10:58:41 PM »
K,
Yes mine is pretty much ch in full sun.  Last year it was in a 5gal pot,crowded in with some bananas and Eugenias and other stuff.  It grew so much I put it into a 10 gallon and had to move it to the other side of my yard. Same amount of sun but a drier nanoclimate. That is when it started to look worse.  I am trying to figure out what to do to keep up the humidity around it.

Joe,
Right now I have two Campomansesia that are fruiting, the guazumifolia and an adamantium.  At one point in time I had 7 different species, but when I put them in the ground six of them died, with only the adamantium surviving.  Fortunately I had a backup of the guazumifolia in a pot.   I have since started over and have small plants of xanthocarpa, phaea, malifolia and guaviroba.  I think this is a cool genus and am always on the hunt for more.

Cheers,
Richard

Geeth

• Ceylon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
congratulations!

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 06:37:49 PM »
Congrats! Did you notice a pepper-y flavor near the skin?
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Soldier

• Czech Repuplic
    • View Profile
    • Tropické rostliny
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 02:32:24 PM »
congratulations!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 03:29:28 PM »
Very cool! Is the adamantium from Ben's tree? I think I may have heard that what he has isn't actually xanthocarpa? Maybe I'm wrong.

Sounds really awesome, thanks for posting this!  I'm looking forward to my Campomanesia collection coming into fruiting.  I have a bunch of Campomanesia hirsuta in 5gs if you are ever interested in trading or want one.  They seem pretty vigorous and frost hardy.

I have just planted about 5 C. hirsuta, 2 C. laurifolia, and 1 C. guazumifolia.  I have back ups in pots because I'm afraid I'm going to kill them too, haha.

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 10:39:47 PM »
K,
Yes mine is pretty much ch in full sun.  Last year it was in a 5gal pot,crowded in with some bananas and Eugenias and other stuff.  It grew so much I put it into a 10 gallon and had to move it to the other side of my yard. Same amount of sun but a drier nanoclimate. That is when it started to look worse.  I am trying to figure out what to do to keep up the humidity around it.

Joe,
Right now I have two Campomansesia that are fruiting, the guazumifolia and an adamantium.  At one point in time I had 7 different species, but when I put them in the ground six of them died, with only the adamantium surviving.  Fortunately I had a backup of the guazumifolia in a pot.   I have since started over and have small plants of xanthocarpa, phaea, malifolia and guaviroba.  I think this is a cool genus and am always on the hunt for more.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard,

My Guazumifolia does really good under the shade of a PPC atemoya, the Guazumifolia flowers a lot but has yet to hold fruit.

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing
Yohann