Author Topic: JF Annona grafting in Florida  (Read 4496 times)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: JF Annona grafting in Florida
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 01:29:13 AM »
I agree, ruling out pollen induced variance, it looks quite similar to the Leo#1 that Jon Verdick is growing at his Encanto farm.

kh0110: There was a greenhouse in Japan that was completely void of insects where they tested the likelihood of annona producing fruit in the absence of a pollinator, I believe El Bumpo was the variety of choice, and they found that the more humid the environment, the more fruit were produced (without pollinator present).

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 06:10:16 PM »
I agree, ruling out pollen induced variance, it looks quite similar to the Leo#1 that Jon Verdick is growing at his Encanto farm.

kh0110: There was a greenhouse in Japan that was completely void of insects where they tested the likelihood of annona producing fruit in the absence of a pollinator, I believe El Bumpo was the variety of choice, and they found that the more humid the environment, the more fruit were produced (without pollinator present).

Sure !
Thera

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Yard as of Jan 2019:
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 09:26:38 AM »
I figured this post would be a decent place to report in.

I have a few annonas from JF's collection planted in-ground and while they might not have ample space, most seem to be doing well enough.

First to fruit Birula and Calastro (I might have picked these too early, but a few were missing from the tree when i went out today)
No hand pollination this year, never got around to it.

Still waiting on RH3, Arka Sahan, La Habra Sun, Hunucma Amarillo, Cuban Red
I have Giant Atis and Hawian Pink but they are tucked in between trees and or struggle for light.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:28:46 AM by skhan »
Khan's Edible Oasis
Yard as of Jan 2019

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
How did they taste?  I'm assuming the redish one is the Birula?

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk