Author Topic: What do you guys think of Cumbe cherimoya?  (Read 1053 times)

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
What do you guys think of Cumbe cherimoya?
« on: October 11, 2021, 01:47:32 PM »
Here in Panama we don't get much annonas commercially.   There is one grower - that I know - that sells sugar apples, and there are a couple of cherimoyas you can get.

One cherimoya variety we do get is "Cumbe" which comes from Peru.  It is good, but honestly I don't find it outstanding.  I prefer sugar apples.  There is a local cherimoya variety which tastes better to me, but the fruit quality is somewhat variable (probably due to agricultural practices).

How does Cumbe compare to other of the nice cherimoya varieties that you get for example in California?   

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys think of Cumbe cherimoya?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
Is this the variety that's supposed to fruit in Florida?
John

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 04:53:33 PM »
Is this the variety that's supposed to fruit in Florida?
Don't really know.   The "Dream" variety I have read that does very well in Florida, but supposedly there is debate whether it is a cherimoya or an atemoya.  The "Cumbe" variety comes from Peru, where it is grown in a place called Cumbe (it figures).  Don't know how well these do elsewhere.

I was told by a friend first, and then by a nursery owner that there is a cherimoya variety here (in Panama, Central America) that does well in hot climates and she promised she would get me a small tree.  I am looking forward to see what comes out of this.

I have read such superlative adjectives about California grown cherimoyas that I thought I should ask here how these compare to the "Cumbe".

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:51:57 PM »
I was told by a friend first, and then by a nursery owner that there is a cherimoya variety here (in Panama, Central America) that does well in hot climates and she promised she would get me a small tree.  I am looking forward to see what comes out of this.
Keep us in the loop.
John

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 05:45:08 PM »
I decided to try our Cumbe in FL.  I have also heard somewhere that it might fruit in Florida so I grafted a couple and will see what it does.