Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Sweet Potato

<< < (8/9) > >>

amtun13892:

--- Quote from: JCorte on November 11, 2021, 01:48:36 AM ---Hi Kaz,

I harvested a few of the Okinawans and Molokai purple last week.

I did not take photo of the Molokai, but they were same large size.  I haven’t tasted the Molokai yet but they didn’t have any sweetness raw.  The Purple Okinawans are my favorite and have grown them for years.  The smaller one on the top grew in a 2 gallon pot.  The smaller one is the normal size I usually find at the Japanese market.  I didn’t intend to leave in the pot, I was just rooting some cuttings and forgot about them.  I was surprised to find the tuber because the pot has been neglected.  They’re curing now, so will taste the Molokai cooked next week.

Janet

--- End quote ---

do you ever try sweet potato from korea and japan? very sweet and juicy than the one I bought from H mart or Mitsuwa supermarket

Lovetoplant:

--- Quote from: JCorte on November 20, 2021, 03:05:06 PM ---I’ve been growing sweet potatoes in raised bed under other fruit trees and plants for years.

Janet

--- End quote ---

Janet, you mentioned that you harvested Okinawa tubers near the surface of the soil.  Tubers I found were all deeper than a foot deep.  Any idea of how to have it grow the tubers near surface? Thanks

Lumi-Ukko:
Anybody know how much shade sweet potato plants can tolerate in a a high UV tropical location (I'm in the Yucatan)?

growinginphoenix:

--- Quote from: Lumi-Ukko on April 16, 2024, 01:35:54 PM ---Anybody know how much shade sweet potato plants can tolerate in a a high UV tropical location (I'm in the Yucatan)?

--- End quote ---

I have high UV, although not tropical. All day sun is ideal in my experience.

Lumi-Ukko:

--- Quote from: growinginphoenix on April 16, 2024, 02:13:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: Lumi-Ukko on April 16, 2024, 01:35:54 PM ---Anybody know how much shade sweet potato plants can tolerate in a a high UV tropical location (I'm in the Yucatan)?

--- End quote ---

I have high UV, although not tropical. All day sun is ideal in my experience.

--- End quote ---

I don't think I can guarantee a location for my sweet potatoes that get a full day of sun here.  But given we have such strong sunlight I was hoping that a half day of sun or filtered on/off all day would suffice and replicate a full day of sun of regions further North.

I might need to rethink the size of container I can put them in if I'm to give them more sun thatn I was planning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version