Author Topic: Avocado graft suggestions  (Read 696 times)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Avocado graft suggestions
« on: February 15, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »
My seed grown avo has 2 trunks.  I grafted Gem on one and Kona on the other in early November.  The Gem took the other was failed. 
Should I reattempt to graft another scion on the failed trunk or just cut it off?  Thanks

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado graft suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 04:44:37 AM »
You can re-graft another scion on that trunk.

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 10:03:49 AM »
The reattempt has never worked for me with avocados.  My theory is that the tree redirects its energy to the other branches that have growth and buds on them.  It’s worth a shot to try and regraft though, especially if new growth starts to form on the branch that held the failed graft.  You might have better luck than me. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »
It works, as long as the failed graft branch is not already dying back. Also, that branch should have many leaves still growing below the failed graft point. That's one reason when I graft to avocado seedlings, I don't graft close to the seed/soil line, I try to graft it at the half height point of the rootstock. Then you should get 2 chance to make a good graft.

If the failed graft branch doesn't seem to have many leaves, then just wait a few months until you see new buds from where the leaves are, then its ok to re-graft again.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and giving the suggestions.  I will give it another try. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk