Author Topic: Major mango bloom  (Read 2099 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Major mango bloom
« on: February 23, 2022, 04:45:44 PM »
Okay I did not get a good bloom early,very sporadic as the only fruit set is on some Thai varieties seem to need less to go quiescence.So I was hoping  their be another shot of bloom as it was looking lame!Its here the major bloom of the season!!And no more cold its perfect.
Anyone else see the big bloom happening ?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Major mango bloom
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 05:19:48 PM »
Yes, the cold weather we had did the trick and the second bloom is on in my yard. I had a good first bloom. Frequent rain, high humidity, morning fog, and no spraying allowed anthracnose to thrive on the first bloom with most trees having no fruit set. The little fruit set that remains is heavily scarred.  Many trees are now pushing out a second bloom, pushing 3 - 5 blooms around the burned-out husk of the first single bloom still attached to the end of the branches.  I am spraying this time around, but conditions continue to be favorable for anthracnose.
Brandon

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 06:17:57 PM »
Those that some blooms already the first time- Sugarloaf, Superjulie, Coconut Cream, Carrie, Fruit punch and Fruit cocktail, DH have sent out more blooms a few days ago due to the cold spell. Angie, Valcarrie and Cac are the ones that sent out blooms a few days ago, likely due to that cold spell. All else still dormant- Glenn, Peach Cobbler, Mallika, Sonpari, Orange Sherbet, PPK, lemon zest, Julie, Honey kiss, M4. I do see buds but can't say anything yet, fingers crossed.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 07:28:02 PM »
From the first blooms before the cold snap: some varieties held on to blooms and fruit and some didn't.

Now after the cold snap: everything is pushing hard and fast! Even the trees that held on to that first bloom through the cold snap are pushing out new ones now. Looks like a good year now.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 08:52:18 PM »
Areas of west and central Florida that did not see stem damage from the freeze should have outstanding crops. Almost everything should flower.

Southeast Florida (Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties) had a pathetic winter with very warm lows. We never saw more than 4 consecutive nights below 60F and there was too much rainfall.

With no cold weather in the long term forecast remaining, I’m expecting a disappointing bloom in the tri-county area relative to last year.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 09:35:29 PM »
The early part of winter was to warm for a good first bloom,so all i had was a smattering of bloom.So i could not see to taking care of them.I would have liked a early February bloom for a more on time season.But count your blessings it could be much worse!!

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 09:43:09 PM »
My Cogshall has no blooms yet, and it doesn't seem to even have buds swelling.

Located in South West Broward.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 10:09:50 PM »
Cogshall  can wear themselves out in production, that is one that is not blooming for me (yet)but is also in the process of becoming a Gem mango.Cogshall is to much a middling mango.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 11:38:53 PM »
I lost most of my early bloom but I saw new flush on several trees when I looked a couple of days ago.  I hope to confirm when next I check which can be as soon as tomorrow.  I hope I get that major bloom you got.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 12:08:52 AM »

Had a good first bloom on the carrie, hima sagar, cotton candy, valcarrie, white pirie, Guava, Angie, Son Pari, Mallika, Sunrise, Venus and Ugly Betty, but hardly any mangoes due to the cold spell and the rain. Seeing second bloom on most trees (or the first in the case of Edgar, Cac, Kesar, Honey Kiss, Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart), but Taralay is dormant.

With how warm it is now, I expect at least some of the swollen buds to push out leaves rather than flowers. Already seeing it on a few trees .

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 08:30:24 AM »
We had a big early inland bloom in Sarasota county, but most trees less than a mile or two from the gulf saw a brief, sporadic bloom. I'm one of the latter, a few varieties put out a handful of blooms and are holding ~2 dozen grape-sized fruit, but most trees in my immediate area saw < 20% bloom, at best. It was looking like a very off year.

Well, what a reversal this last month has been, nearly every branch is ready to explode with blooms! The early envy I felt for those inland trees is completely gone; all the trees I see out there had their blooms hammered hard by powdery mildew. Getting up close to a few, I can see a tiny fruit here or there, but it's primarily a sad collection of bare, shriveled panicles on all the trees out east. My area seems to have threaded the needle, multiple nights in the low 40's/high 30's but no frost damage or fruit loss.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 08:22:59 AM »
Those that some blooms already the first time- Sugarloaf, Superjulie, Coconut Cream, Carrie, Fruit punch and Fruit cocktail, DH have sent out more blooms a few days ago due to the cold spell. Angie, Valcarrie and Cac are the ones that sent out blooms a few days ago, likely due to that cold spell. All else still dormant- Glenn, Peach Cobbler, Mallika, Sonpari, Orange Sherbet, PPK, lemon zest, Julie, Honey kiss, M4. I do see buds but can't say anything yet, fingers crossed.
So it turned out to be bust year for me. Sugarloaf and DH flowers turned out to be almost all male flowers. And the other dormant trees never pushed flowers. Probably the worst year in the last 4 years. Mature trees around in the neighborhood also seem to have less blooms. This means,  will be traveling a lot up north for mangoes :) . Mangokothiyan, please save some Valcarries for me.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
My 'Beverly' and 'Ice Cream' within the last three wekks here in Tampa have thrown abundant bloom spikes even though they are each in 7gal pots.

The other two, "Fairchild', 'Irwin', are sitting pat tho also in 7gals.

The newest mango, a 'Pickering' just arrived this week from Lara Farms in a one gallon pot and it's as yet too small to try blooming and instead is concentrating on a nice flush of new leaves.

Hoping for some mangoes this season finally.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 08:00:57 PM »
Roller coaster mango bloom season. 
Lost first bloom to the freeze - not a big bloom or big loss.  My second bloom (following the freeze) looked great, much more substantial than the first.  Unfortunately, not much fruit set.  I had a bunch of flies around for a few days so I had hoped for good fruit set.
Crazy thing is I have a few tiny mango plants that not only flowered but set fruit.  I have cut most off in the hope that the next growth will be vegetative.  A small one gallon Ceci love will have the fruit removed as soon as the get close to marble size, hopefully it wont spend any more energy trying to fruit this year. 

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 08:20:19 PM »
This has been an interesting bloom season. My Cogshall had some leaf burn from the cold but only on outer leaves, maybe 20-30% of the tree. The south side is now in full bloom. The north side pushed leaves recently and no bloom.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 09:08:51 AM »
I got a decent amount of fruit set on my first partial bloom.
My primary second bloom after the 35-degree weather was full of PM, I'm surprised to see so many trees pushing fruits through it.
It looks like I'll have a good year, maybe not as good as last year but still pretty good.

Next year I really need to spray sulfur, it seems like chopping back most of my permaculture crops when it started to cool off help with airflow and anthracnose

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 10:03:18 AM »
PPK tree will have fruit! ;D
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 11:53:06 AM »
Pickering and Neelam doing some cross-pollination. Marches wind has been relentless. Sweet tart has been unimpressed with this season grow grow grow.

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 02:22:24 PM »
My big old tree (Kent) has 2 small mangos hanging on.  Other panicles got hit with mildew & anthracnose except for a few.  Rain made it put out leaves on 3/4 the tree.
This morn I carefully pruned a good 50lbs of branches, another 50-100 to go.
Thinking if I get sun on panicles, they'll be less disease prone.  No idea but might as well before heat comes.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2022, 05:28:48 PM »
Remember when Obi Wan was the only hope? Well, for me, it's Buddy, one of my three Pickering trees.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 03:53:30 AM »
Next year I really need to spray sulfur, it seems like chopping back most of my permaculture crops when it started to cool off help with airflow and anthracnose

Foliar MSM = sulfur

fliptop ---- That's a very cool cat!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »
As the mango story turns.

So I am on track for a poor mango season, good flush poor fruit set.  I will have a ton of Choc Anon which is a monster for fruiting in my yard but little of anything else.

So I did a grafting demo the other day and offered the left over scions.  Got more interest and went to cut some prepped scions I had not taken for the demo and low and behold, few blooms on 3 trees.  Including the  Choc Anon which already has 3 generations of fruit this year.  Other trees are flushing vegetative growth which is the norm for this time of the year for me.

Strange indeed.  Anyone in South Florida still getting bloom?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2022, 01:39:21 PM »
Sad mango season here. Lots of fruit drop, and wasn't much there to begin with. What appeared to be new blooms has turned out to be vegetative growth. Going to start girdling soon.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2022, 07:07:01 PM »
Lepidoptera pressure was high,chewing in half the young mangos up to half dollar size!!Getting between fruit chewing hiding" insidious"  adding to the fruit drop.Wind causing mechanical damage then infected with bacteria and fungi.Still some have good set