Author Topic: Any chance you can identify this annonas only from leaves  (Read 949 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Any chance you can identify this annonas only from leaves
« on: March 01, 2022, 10:00:02 PM »
I started several seeds of cherimoya, custard apple, sugar apple and atemoyas, plus some mystery annonas seeds from past seasons.  I wasn't expecting much and planned on using them for rootstock.
One plant pushed well and really looked good so I set it aside.  Today it was the victim of kids playing and was snapped in two.  I will try to nurse the stump but wondered if anyone can suggest what this might be from the leaf which is unusual and unlike any of the others that germinated.

Some extra info
The seedling held leafs through our winter, but that may be because it's in a pot close to the house and was brought indoors for the coldest nights
It was about 18 inches tall when it met it's Waterloo at the hands of a errant volleyball.
The leaves are deep green and roundened.
No felt on the underside but soft and smooth to the touch on the upper side.

All suggestions welcomed.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:23:54 PM by Orkine »

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Any chance you can identify this annonas only from leaves
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 11:35:29 PM »
I would guess atemoya but since I’ve never grown cherimoya I can’t rule that one out.

Kevster_88

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 03:52:47 AM »
It looks like a Cherimoya. Atemoya leaves are more pointed (not round shape). Red Geffner Atemoya leaves are most pointed and slim.
Thanks,

Kevin

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 11:02:22 AM »
See if this may help you https://www.horticulture.com.au/globalassets/laserfiche/assets/project-reports/cu11000/cu11000-final-report-complete-2.pdf on pg 15 they talk about leaf hairiness as a means of differentiation. The cherimoyas I’ve grown as rootstock and the grafted one I have for breeding are noticeably more hairy “felt” feeling. From the pics you posted I would lean more cherimoya.

-Joe

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »
Looks like Cherimoya. 

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 02:00:20 PM »
I started several seeds of cherimoya, custard apple, sugar apple and atemoyas, plus some mystery annonas seeds from past seasons.  I wasn't expecting much and planned on using them for rootstock.
One plant pushed well and really looked good so I set it aside.  Today it was the victim of kids playing and was snapped in two.  I will try to nurse the stump but wondered if anyone can suggest what this might be from the leaf which is unusual and unlike any of the others that germinated.

Some extra info
The seedling held leafs through our winter, but that may be because it's in a pot close to the house and was brought indoors for the coldest nights
It was about 18 inches tall when it met it's Waterloo at the hands of a errant volleyball.
The leaves are deep green and roundened.
No felt on the underside but soft and smooth to the touch on the upper side.

All suggestions welcomed.

Just a question question since you have just started annona from seeds.  I tried germinating cherimoya seeds for 3 weeks now and nothing comes up. 

How long did it take yours to germinate?

Thank you

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:42 PM »
Definitely looks like cherimoya

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 10:07:28 AM »
I will assume it's cherimoya and graft something on the stump.
Thanks all

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 06:01:27 PM »
It is not Sugar Apple or Custard Apple. It could be Cherimoya or an Atemoya that leans strongly on its cherimoya parentage. Some Atemoyas look more like SA and others more like C. C types have wider internodes and grow faster. SA types make smaller trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk