Author Topic: Aphids  (Read 665 times)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Aphids
« on: March 18, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »
My tangerine are infected with aphids. What is the best way to get rid of them?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Aphids
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 11:30:10 PM »
Dormant/hort oil spray, or soap spray.  However, you can blast them off with plain water from a hose just as well if you are persistent.  Do it every day or two for a week to be sure you get them all, new ones tend to migrate to new leaf growth

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 12:20:41 AM »
The key is to prevent ants from climbing up the plant since they are the ones that carry aphids up the tree.  Here is how:

0-spray the existing aphids away by hosing them with water.

1- wrap the main trunk with aluminum foil. Make sure do not leave any gap between the trunk and the foil.  The foil should be 5 inches high.

2- take a shoe string and wrap around the foil a few rounds.  Not too tight. Instead of shoe string, I rip an old t-shirt and take a piece from it.

3-spray the shoe string with liquid ant killer.

4-go to step 3 every 6 months or as often as the instruction on the liquid ant killer said.

How does it work?  The shoe string aborb the liquid ant killer.  This prevent the ants from carrying the aphids across the string to go up the tree. 

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 02:16:15 AM »
Word of caution around this time in Socal...If you are growing them outside and they are flowering, be careful when you spray insecticides including soap.

Best time is at dusk but read the instructions. Or, as Brian mentioned, just continuously hose them off. I personally hose and squish, so I can maintain a healthy beneficial insect population. I admit. I get a lot of leaf curl, but I don't care.

Also remember that the archenemy of ants are termites. Best to deter rather then kill them.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
ah, yes as John B said don't spray anything other than water on open flowers or it might kill the flowers.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 01:07:22 PM »
I just ignore it.  I see a few aphids here and there but the tree looks good and makes tons of fruit so who cares? 

If your infestation is so bad that its causing the health of the tree to decline, you may need to back off on your nitrogen fertilizer.  Excessive nitrogen can cause bug problems.  Not necessarily what is causing yours but something to consider.  Especially water soluable nitrogen causes rapid soft growth that bugs are attrwcted to.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:09:25 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 01:16:32 AM »
Thank you guys for all the useful informations and the suggestions. The plant flushed lots of new leaves; I must have added too much urea like Brad mentioned, to the fish emulsion when foliar sprayed.  These might have attracted the aphids.  Will hose them down with water daily.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk