Author Topic: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???  (Read 11465 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???
« on: March 25, 2022, 06:58:15 PM »
Ok, I have most of the mulberry varieties (23) that people say tastes good - excellent, and I don't plan to add any more varieties..

I would like to hear which ones you have tasted that is the best tasting to you. I do not plan to add any more varieties since I think I have all that I need to evaluate this, probably will now start getting rid of the ones that are average or not good tasting. I'm planning to keep only two in ground trees and get rid of the rest. I'm now thinking it would be good to find a few good dwarfing rootstocks so when I have it in pots, it will stay small-medium size and not have the roots grow out of the bottom of the pot and take over the yard again. I have two dwarfing rootstock that shows promise so far.

I have been eating many of the different varieties I have grafted on my 7 in ground mulberry trees and for me, I must say the White Pakistan/Australian Green is the number 1 sweetest of all mulberries.

Here's a few photos of the fruits I picked yesterday. I will post more photos later tonight or tomorrow showing how/when you should pick the fruits on the tree so that it is at the best flavor.

If you pick it at the right time when it turns yellow/white, it is by far, the sweetest mulberry you will ever taste. It also does have the melon smell when ripe. The only negative on this variety is that the fruit will not hold long on the tree when it gets ripe so if you don't pick it within 1-2 days, it will fall off the branch.

Many people that have not really waited for the correct time (fully ripe) mentions it has a grass smell or taste, that is not the case if you follow my instructions to determine that it is fully ripe. It just tastes like all honey/sugar, you won't taste another fruit like it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 So, I would like to hear which ones you have tasted that is the best tasting to you.
If you have any photos of the ripe fruits that would give everyone more information on what the fruits look like.
As my mulbery fruits ripen, I will try to take photos and post here as additional info for those who have not grown some of these other varieties. If my Best Tasting changes as I eat these mulberries I will update it here.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:48:42 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 07:15:24 PM »
Ok, finally able to save my list and show it here...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:48:27 PM by sc4001992 »

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 08:01:50 PM »
A blind tasting session is in order to answer this question, Kaz.

So far, I've only tasted Black Pak and Thai Dwarf. They would get the same vote from me in terms of taste but again, taste is strictly personal.
Thera

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 08:06:25 PM »
I think it's between himalayan and pakistani for me. I really like my king white but sometimes it's just so sweet and plain that it gets meh. I can eat a bowl of pakistani cause of the blend of sour / sweet / herbal. Himalayan is about as good, just a bit drier but I like the peach notes.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 09:14:37 PM »
My kids like the white one.  I like the way the black pakistan and himalayqn taste best.  Didnt really dont care for the everbearing, thai dwarf or the shangrala.  Going to ditch shangrala for sure.  I have about 8 or more trees so Ill have a few new ones to test at some point like oscar, larry white, persian, and martas himalayan. 

Have a couple ungrafted seedlings in the ground also that need to be top worked with something.  Probably another white and a black pakistan. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:19:03 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 10:34:23 PM »
So, is White Pakistan the same as Australian Green?  I'm glad I got this one (Aussie Green) from you, Kaz.
Thera

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 11:53:50 PM »
I have about 6 sources for the long white pakistan looking fruits. I have the three types grafted and they are fruiting so I can say yes, the fruits are about the same size (3-5" long) and they all taste very sweet when you wait for the fruit to be perfectly ripe. So the three which taste and looks identical are;
1. Australian Green
2. White Pakistan
3. Saharanpur Local

I'm updating my list, forgot about #3..

But I do notice the White Pakistan is the most difficult to graft, and both the Australian Green and Saharanpur Local are easy to graft similar to Black Pakistan.

My original White Pakistan I purchase here in Orange County is one of my earliest mulberry tree. It seems to be the dwarf growing version, but I don't know if its the rootstock it is grafted on or the variety. I purchase multiple trees from the same source, he said one was an air-layer from his large tree, the other was grafted.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:51:31 PM by sc4001992 »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 12:30:55 AM »
any idea where to find mulberries for sale? I don't think I've ever seen them at any shop. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 01:26:32 AM »
Middle eastern grocery sells them in the town near here.  If they are for sale in a store it will be dried mulberry.  I could dry some and send them if you really want to try it. 

I see amazon sells dried ones also. 

Heres some pics of a couple young trees.  This one is the white pakistan tree kaz grafted and sent me a few years ago.  It has a lot of fruit for a tiny tree.  My kids love going to pick them.

This one is the red himalayan and I have a few otjer types grafted on it also.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 01:38:31 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 06:34:40 AM »
Brad, nice photos of your trees and I like the pictures of your kids picking the fruits. The good thing about the White Pakistan tree is that is does have smaller branches and seems to stay lower to the ground while the Black Pakistan just keeps growing and growing upwards and can reach 20 ft in a few years. I'm digging up my Shangri La and Black Pakistan trees as soon as I have time this year. I do want to save the trees, so I plan to stick it in large pots (trash bid with wheels) and give it to some friends.

I'm glad to see the white pakistan tree is doing well. Your photo of kids picking fruits off the trees is what I had envisioned when I planted the trees. The Thai Dwarf is a good one for kids to pick fruits also since the branches are skinny and long and with the weight of all the fruits (hundreds on each branch) it will bend down, and kids can reach the fruits. Only drawback is that the fruits is not that sweet.

That is a good idea to dehydrate the mulberry, I should try that this season. I do have a dehydrator and just got an air-fryer that should allow it to be dried.

Your Red Himalayan fruits looks good.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 02:28:09 PM by sc4001992 »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 09:21:51 AM »
Variables, variables, variables... problems with any study or evaluation... temp., watering, minerals, soil type, etc. etc. etc.

I keep thinking of how bad IMO tomatoes taste in Florida vs. states like Alabama, Tn., etc. lol...

Who ever has all those varieties to evaluate would definitely be the best person to comment. But, one of the given varieties still might taste better in another location, state, time of year ripening, elevation, etc. etc. etc. Pretty similar to mango varieties tasting different in different locations, time of year ripe, amt. of sunshine, rain or watering, etc. etc. etc...

It's still good to hear opinions....

Ok, finally able to save my list and show it here.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 09:51:39 AM »
Great point. So many variables and a lot boils down to location. The whites are very good and I remember the first time eating them being impressed with concentrated sugar taste. The Himalayan reds are a top contender as well, can be very sweet and leave your hands sticky after harvesting a bunch.

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 11:26:20 AM »
Variables AND we all have differences in what we like, so it is very subjective, I think Kaz is just looking for what we like and to share that.

Aussie green/White shatoot - Honey melon, very sweet great flavor, my favorite also. Must be picked ripe or they will taste very "green" kinda like grass being cut smells?

I have 3 types of Red Himalayan, RH from Kaz(thanks Kaz!), DMOR9 from Marta, Skinner from Craig Hepworth(Florida Fruit Geek) which is originally from Chris Rollins at Fruit and Spice Park, which is where I think Adam's(Flying Fox) Red Himalayan is from, please set me straight if I am wrong. :)

I have not tried Kaz's, fruit is on, waiting for it to ripen. Just got DMOR9 last season, no fruit yet. Have had Skinner several times, multiple trees, different locations, different stages.

Red Himalayan, Skinner - Unique, complex, sweet. Very hard to describe flavor, best flavor when picked dark red very ripe. If picked early has a vegetable taste kinda like carrot maybe even radishy taste? Vegetable taste goes away when picked fully ripe.

Thai Dwarf - Sweet tart strong flavor. Excellent mulberry flavor, the best way for me to describe this is a coffee analogy, where regular mulberries, Shangri La, Tice, etc are your typical cups of dinner coffee, flavor depends on when/where, Thai Dwarf is like a triple espresso :o , delicious! But some people like a simple coffee and the taste may be too much. BTW, triple espresso is my go to, I like strong robust flavors like the Thai Dwarf. My Thai Dwarf was sourced from Adam's(FFF) farm about 2 years ago.

Worlds Best/Bryce's WB - Very low to ZERO flavor little sweetness. Kinda like licking a sugar cane after it has been squeezed. Will try these as rootstock, they grow very easy from cuttings. Worst tasting mulberry I have ever had.

I, like Kaz, have a lot of mulberry varieties, these are the highlights and lowlight.

Honorable mention:

UF - Thai type, unknown(by me) variety. In Gainesville, University of Florida, Food Forrest, near the Bat Houses. BIGGEST leaf mulberry tree I have ever seen, big tree also. Very tasty, large, juicy, not as good as Thai Dwarf, but really good.

Hope this helps!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 02:36:06 PM »
Thank you johnnym33315. 

Yes, that is exactly my point in creating this post. So, I and others can get feedback from people in all parts of the country, so those who live in that specific area can get feedback from mulberry growers which ones they like. It's not to say one variety is the best, just asking which one everyone likes the taste best for their personal taste, in their location.

At least these comments here will give some people who are starting to grow mulberries which varieties people like since there are so many to choose from, and it takes 2-3 years to get the full taste of the fruits.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »
johnnym33315, thank you for your detailed description on the varieties. After reviewing your comments, I wonder if I have a bad variety of the Thai Dwarf. It tastes just like your description of World's Best, basically not much taste at all even though the fruits look good hanging on the tree. Both my Thai Dwarf and World's Best taste the same here in CA.

I do agree with your comments on the other varieties and when it needs to be picked for best taste.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »
I thought the same thing.  The thai dwarf I got is bland.  Makes loads of boring fruit.  I dont think the problem is the weather or soil issues.  Thry just arent that tastey.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 03:52:37 PM »
Yup, planning to take out the tree, but the Shangri La has a little more taste. I like the Tice better than Shangri La and it seems to grow slower so doesn't get as tall as the Shangri La. My Thai Dwarf is grafted on the Shangri La rootstock and the tree is about 15 ft tall.

Brad your Red Himalayan I grafted on a 3yr old rooted cutting from my Shangri La is looking great, its about 7 ft tall, has a nice canopy but now my son tells me I need to dig it up today or they will trash it when the landscaper comes on Monday for demolition day at his house.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:36:41 AM by sc4001992 »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 07:48:34 PM »
I have a dwarf Thai and it’s a tart and sweet fruit. It’s not bland at all. My best tasting one is from a mislabel. I thought I was getting a Himalayan, but it’s a shorter and fat fruit. It’s taste like a really sweet raspberry.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 11:21:39 PM »
Middle eastern grocery sells them in the town near here.  If they are for sale in a store it will be dried mulberry.  I could dry some and send them if you really want to try it. 

it seems the only middle eastern grocery to me is an hour and a half away, not much of a population here I guess.  How does dried compare to fresh?  I have never seed dried raspberries, blackberries for comparison.

I guess I could grow one but I'm running out of space

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2022, 12:05:49 AM »
Tommy, if you need a Red Himalayan (from Brad), I can send you some cuttings, just send me a PM.
I'm digging up one tree tomorrow and should have some cuttings for you.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 01:21:46 AM »
Kaz, what method gets high successful rate when grafting Pakistan White?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2022, 02:46:12 AM »
Lovetoplant, I just hear from people who purchased many cuttings of my White Pakistan cuttings that their grafts did not take. It is one of the more difficult/touchy one of the mulberries to graft. I'm pretty sure if you had a fresh one (like graft it on the day it was cut) it will do better. I try many grafts myself to make sure it will graft ok. I did more than 20 grafts from my large tree and grafted to some rooted cuttings (Shangri La and Black Pakistan) and only got like 6 grafts to take and grow fine. You can use any graft method, some people like the whip & tongue because it has the most contact of the cambium, I just use same size rootstock to scion and use cleft graft.

So, because the White Pakistan (at least the one I have which is on the dwarf growth habit) is so difficult to graft if it is not immediately grafted on the same day, I stopped selling cuttings since the people who buy them will be disappointed even if I give them plenty extras.

In the future, I think I have a source for some good rootstock so I will buy more and graft the difficult ones like the White Pakistan and my rare Sangue e Latte and sell the grafted plants to share with our members here.

In fact, once my Sangue e Latte branches grow a little more this year, I will try to have another contest for a Free Grafted plant. This will be at the end of summer.

Sorry for the long winded reply to a simple question.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 07:26:28 AM »

it seems the only middle eastern grocery to me is an hour and a half away, not much of a population here I guess.  How does dried compare to fresh?  I have never seed dried raspberries, blackberries for comparison.

You could experiment planting some outside as there are a few varieties that are supposed to be cold hardy enough for this area. Is it worth space in a greenhouse ? I’m leaning towards a No because the trees need to be pretty large to get a decent amount of fruit. The difference between dried and fresh? The flavor is still there but it’s a whole diff experience. I’ve tried dried white mulberries before which you can prolly find at a Whole Foods or other high end markets.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:33:44 AM by ben mango »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2022, 09:22:28 AM »

You could experiment planting some outside as there are a few varieties that are supposed to be cold hardy enough for this area. Is it worth space in a greenhouse ? I’m leaning towards a No because the trees need to be pretty large to get a decent amount of fruit. The difference between dried and fresh? The flavor is still there but it’s a whole diff experience. I’ve tried dried white mulberries before which you can prolly find at a Whole Foods or other high end markets.
Well said. I didn’t really know how cold hardy these tropical mulberries are, but my shangri la withstood 15 degrees. I think you can grow them outside - they can withstand freezing temps as long as they are dormant

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 11:30:44 AM »
Thanks.  I am going to try ordering some dried ones and look for a cold hardy type.