Author Topic: Overhyped avocados  (Read 14275 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Overhyped avocados
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2022, 05:27:44 PM »
 Brad what are qualities of Fujikawa tree both the good and bad, is fruit like a Hass or what's it like ?Are you top working your stumps in the spring turning them all into Hass ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:31:38 PM by Avoman »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2022, 05:51:38 PM »
Fujika is full guatemalan like nabal.  The tree grows well and sets fruit well and thry are earlier than nabal and reed.  Fruit tastes nice but has a bad spot at the tip of the seed that has to be removed.  Thats the main flaw.  Has a small bad spot in the top of the seed cavity.  Otherwise I think its pretty nice.  The fruit are a bit on the big side.  More than you need for one sitting.  It makes good guacamole.  Its not quite as nice as nabal or reed but close and the tree grows well.  I think its pretty good.  Im not going to plant a bunch of them but Im not chopping the 2 or 3 I have down either.

Yeah I top work the stumps in january with whatever I need more of.  Probably some more gwens and carmens this time. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:55:54 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2022, 10:16:23 AM »
Maybe Ardith likes growing 1 mile from the coast in 60 degree fog year round and that makes the fruit taste better , or perhaps a geriatric panel of Avocado noobs  . Bonny Doon is most likely a Hass seedling and nothing special. Why is Bonny Doon cold hardy ? It’s not, not exposed to freezing or cold temperatures ever. Few people have them because it was selected by an Avo nursery that doesn’t keep stock  on it and/or just takes custom orders for it. i have it in a good spot and it grows like crap and is finally fruiting , badly, on year 10 . The mother tree fruits are okay.
Brad’a un biased observations can save folks alot of learning experiences and just plant the goods.

I can't speak first hand as I've never had a Ardith so not sure why panel thought it was number 1 in the taste test, maybe the Hass they were comparing it too was a early picked Hass out of a gorcery store who knows hard to say, I do want to grow a few Hass and Gwen down the road to compare for myself, on that same taste test Boony Doon was rated as number 2 but few people even have Boony Doon trees, I heard they are cold hardy trees but small fruit and large seed. I like Bacon and Zutano for taste so I must be werd, they would fire me if I was on a taste rating panel.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2022, 11:07:29 AM »
I have a Ardith and Bonny Doon tree actually many Bonny Doon trees they just aren't happy here in Arroyo Grande close to coast. Ardith has been a very slow grower for me has been set back my hard freezes so don't know yet if it will come around or not. green gold is another one along with Kona Sharwil they just refuse to ever fruit. A big part of problem is tempertures at flowering times can be to cool for avocados to flower expressing both sexes during day and stay male too long. At least that is the thoughts of  Freddy Menge at Epicenter Nursery who gave a talk one year at CRFG-conference.
And I seem to br noticing that happening here close distance from coast maybe 3-4 miles as crow flys.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »
My green gold is a beast. Got it from epicenter.

My nishikawa was a dud. Grows great but never flowered. I pruned it heavily last September and surprise it flowered and is holding fruit. Not as many as a tree of its size can hold, but it's better than nothing. I'll hard prune again this year and see if I can continue the trend.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2022, 09:22:36 PM »
My green gold is a beast. Got it from epicenter.

My nishikawa was a dud. Grows great but never flowered. I pruned it heavily last September and surprise it flowered and is holding fruit. Not as many as a tree of its size can hold, but it's better than nothing. I'll hard prune again this year and see if I can continue the trend.

Post a pic of the green gold fruits and tree.  It seems like its not the same tree Atkins is selling.

I put a photo of a fruit off my atkins tree back on page 3 or 4 of this thread.  Does it look the same?

The fruit are really high oil and are over ripe here by May.  Tree sags from the fruit load and gets sun burns here.  I like the fruit but the way the tree performs is keeping me from grafting more. 

If yours is something different, I would like to try and grow one.  Still have 50 trees or more that need top working. 

Nishikawa grows OK not great and flowers very little and sets not much fruit here.  Its looking like a waste of time.  The tree is big enough to hold a good load but it only set a couole fruit this year.  Its kind of a lanky grower too.  Not that great of a shape or growth habit.
Brad Spaugh

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2022, 02:21:47 PM »
Good feedback for Nishikawa, I'm on the fence if I should plant some or not, for sure planting Reed and some others, a guy in Gilroy area has a round one a little bigger fruit than a reed I'll try that also as I like the big round ones.Brad are you cutting out your lamb hass also, I'm not sure I will plant any more lamb I only have 2 in ground now.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2022, 02:25:17 PM »
Brad so does that mean the group you got from HI never did that great? nothing ever stood out for you ?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2022, 11:58:16 PM »
Lamb, yeah I think its got to go.  Gwen or GEM are better I think.  Its a nice tree but the fruit is pretty mediocre.  No one in my house will eat them since we have reeds at the same time.  Ive eaten a ton of lambs over the years and just never really thought much of them. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2022, 12:00:25 AM »
Brad so does that mean the group you got from HI never did that great? nothing ever stood out for you ?

Theres a few decent ones.  A bunch of losers too.  I think its mostly the west indian hybrids just dont grow that well here but who knows.  Yamagata and fujikawa are doing well.   The rest seem pretty worthless. 
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2022, 01:21:46 PM »

I agree with your assessment on GG and Sharwil, I doubt other Kona Avo’s would want to flower or fruit either.
What stumps me a bit is why the grafted Bonny Doon tree’s are doing poorly when they are in the same conditions as the mother tree.
Could it be root stock?
I know they used A batch of Duke that some of my tree’s were on and also Bacon for rootstock.
I bought like 6 Avocado tree’s from them 10 years ago and they have all either died or do not fruit.
I have grafted some like Jan Boyce onto mature tree’s and they grow normally.

I have a Ardith and Bonny Doon tree actually many Bonny Doon trees they just aren't happy here in Arroyo Grande close to coast. Ardith has been a very slow grower for me has been set back my hard freezes so don't know yet if it will come around or not. green gold is another one along with Kona Sharwil they just refuse to ever fruit. A big part of problem is tempertures at flowering times can be to cool for avocados to flower expressing both sexes during day and stay male too long. At least that is the thoughts of  Freddy Menge at Epicenter Nursery who gave a talk one year at CRFG-conference.
And I seem to br noticing that happening here close distance from coast maybe 3-4 miles as crow flys.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »
Brad any fruit yet on your Yamagata is it a fast grower ? Large, healthy ,full, tight leaves ? Besides the other version of green gold are you going to try any more diiferant kinds or just focus on your stumps, do you sell your excess fruit on internet or farmers markets ? How many Nabal fruit do you get;a year and what price can they sell for at a farmers market ? Do you graft directly on your stumps or is grafting on a sucker on the stump as good ?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:49:15 PM by Avoman »

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2023, 12:16:32 AM »
On my multi-graft tree Jan Boyce sets very nicely and consistently for years. It does NOT hang well, and skin is quite prone to cracking especially after heavy rain. But we still like its flavor and tiny seed. This year we had a lot of rain but actually see less skin-crack, idk if it has to do with age.

Sharwill on the other hand, is an extremely slow grower for me. Barely ever fruits.

Interesting topic Brad.  I agree with every variety on your list except Jan Boyce.  I live closer to the coast at lower elevation and Jan Boyce consistently produces big crops that hang on the tree relatively well.  The tree can get lanky yes, but seems to respond well to pruning.  The fruit tastes great, but is one step below a prime Reed, Nabal or Hass. 

Yeah it seems the UC system has produced some of the most overhyped, lackluster avocado varieties (i.e. Sir Prize, Holiday, GEM).  Out of those 3, I'd say GEM is the best.  There's so much potential with the UC system though, because they have the land and resources to develop some awesome new varieties, which they seem to be trying to do but have not succeeded yet.  And they've been at it for over 30 years.  They should be planting and testing out Nabal and Reed seedlings.  That genetic lineage seem to be really strong and adaptable to high heat, salt buildup in the soil, and produce consistently in different areas (inland and coastal).  If they planted a field of Nabal seedlings, I'm certain they would get at least a few winners. 

Your TBD list is interesting too.  I think Hellen, Nimlioh, Edranol and Pinkerton all taste great, and are definitely keepers in my opinion.  Regarding Hellen and Nimlioh, the downside is the fruits get so big, so it takes forever to mature them up to the right oil level and flavor, and then figuring out when they're ripe is a whole other task, thanks to their hard shells.  But it's all worth it in my opinion, because their flavor is outstanding.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2023, 09:20:34 AM »
What is wrong with the GEM variety?

Update: nevermind, did not realize this thread was more than one page.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:39:20 AM by Pau »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2023, 11:49:34 AM »
funlul, sounds like if the Sharwill grafted branch is growing slow, then you should re-graft it to a few more branches on your tree. I have 4-5 Sharwill scionwood grafted on my tree and the new grafts grows very fast and healthy looking.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2023, 02:44:53 PM »
Its hard to say which avocado is more over hyped, Jan Boyce or GEM.  Im going with GEM since they patented it and told people is worth planting acres of.  I cant even give them away, the neighbors dont even want it for free, they want hass or reeds. 

GEM definitely wins this thread.  Weak tree, mediocre at best fruit, and overhyped level infinity.   Gold medal for sure.

Brad Spaugh

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2023, 03:36:03 PM »
Mr. Spaugh, I live in a hot humid 9a that goes through various cycles of rain and drought. It can be blazing hot 105 all of August and might drop in the 20s in January. If someone here has a live fruiting avocado we’re doing pretty good. I have not had an opportunity to try virtually any of the varieties you tend to favor these days. Do you have a recommendation on what you think would do the best for me, as well as be a good fruit?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2023, 04:40:43 PM »
Mr. Spaugh, I live in a hot humid 9a that goes through various cycles of rain and drought. It can be blazing hot 105 all of August and might drop in the 20s in January. If someone here has a live fruiting avocado we’re doing pretty good. I have not had an opportunity to try virtually any of the varieties you tend to favor these days. Do you have a recommendation on what you think would do the best for me, as well as be a good fruit?

I have no idea.  Does anyone have a fruiting qvocado there?  The weather isnt really that conducive to avocados so its probably always going to be an uphill battle.  Maybe something really bullet proof like bacon but I really have no idea.
Brad Spaugh

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2023, 05:00:16 PM »
hi all,
Have Reed , Sharwil, Gwen,Pinkerton and Sir prize. picked these for the reason is maintain below 12 -15 ft. and have reasonable yield. if not "Sir prize" what would be other choice for type B Avocado.
 Also, is wurtz (little cado) type  A and B on one tree? some said its A&B and other its A ? is it a good pollinator that can be moved around in a 20 Gal. container?   Fujikawa Type a or b? where to get in SoCal?
Thanks everyone, more importantly Brad for a great discussion and guidance.
Mike.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2023, 06:10:11 PM »
Mike, the wurtz avocados are not good, dont bother growing it.  I dont know if fujikawa is A or B, I dont pay any attention to that.  Maybe a carmen tree since it seems to grow slower than regular hass.  Maybe your sir prize will be ok if you then them way down they are actually a really nice fruit.  If it sets too many, thry stay small and watery.  But if theres not so many they can get really large and good flavor and texture. 

Keep in mind also that regular hass can be managed pretty small.  They take hard pruning really well.  I think you should grow it over the others to be honest.  Its going to perform better than the rest of those. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 06:13:16 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2023, 07:37:07 PM »
After reading lot, Yes! thinking about Hass. Thanks for the suggestions...

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2023, 06:29:11 PM »
reviving this thread.

Brad, to cover my annual avocados what varieties do you recommend?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2023, 07:21:15 PM »
I would recommend carmen, hass, sharwil, and reed.  The winter avocados like mexicola grande etc are not worth growing IMO.  We just take a break from avocados for a few months a year and start again in February when the good stuff is ready.

The carmen tree has not grown as well as hass here but the fruit are ripe earlier and they are super good.  I was really surprised how good the carmens are this year. 

Brad Spaugh

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2023, 07:33:43 PM »
I would recommend carmen, hass, sharwil, and reed.  The winter avocados like mexicola grande etc are not worth growing IMO.  We just take a break from avocados for a few months a year and start again in February when the good stuff is ready.

The carmen tree has not grown as well as hass here but the fruit are ripe earlier and they are super good.  I was really surprised how good the carmens are this year.

dang i have planted in-ground pinkerton & janboyce on 1 hole & it is thriving my area despite last years heatwave.. that being said. what other variety to cover my annual having pink and boyce?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2023, 07:52:23 PM »
I would say get a reed tree since everyone needs a reed tree.

Brad Spaugh