Author Topic: Marang  (Read 1394 times)

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
Marang
« on: May 28, 2022, 05:21:42 AM »
Is the fruit ready to be plucked? 2 months since setting.

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Marang
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 06:50:38 AM »
It’s close but I think needs Maybe 2-3 weeks. Notice how the “spikes” have started to spread out on the bottom, they will do that throughout before it is ready to pick. I would personally let it ripen on the tree before picking it. The stem will often turn more of a yellow / brown before it’s ready, another indicator that it’s ripe or close to ripening.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 10:09:04 AM »
It’s close but I think needs Maybe 2-3 weeks. Notice how the “spikes” have started to spread out on the bottom, they will do that throughout before it is ready to pick. I would personally let it ripen on the tree before picking it. The stem will often turn more of a yellow / brown before it’s ready, another indicator that it’s ripe or close to ripening.

Thank you so much for the info. :-)

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 04:36:38 AM »
Today, the fruit turned almost pale yellow and light brown patches started to develop. I can smell gasoline from distance. The spikes are soft & brittle and no latex oozing out when broken. I am planning to pick the fruit tomorrow. Is it the right time?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 05:59:14 AM »
Yes if it’s giving off an odor it is probably ripe.  Can be hard to tell just from photos. Light brown patches could indicate over-ripeness , it’s ready!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:13:06 AM by ben mango »

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 07:02:21 AM »
Yes if it’s giving off an odor it is probably ripe.  Can be hard to tell just from photos. Light brown patches could indicate over-ripeness , it’s ready!
Ok, thank you!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 09:08:32 AM »
If you wait too long the fruits will fall apart before or during picking. Keep making observations so that you learn to pick before they become hard to handle. We feel that if we can pick while they are still hard and not giving off odor but ripen about 2-4 days later we have nailed it. That way the fruits can be handled, even transported.
Peter

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 11:33:34 AM »
If you wait too long the fruits will fall apart before or during picking. Keep making observations so that you learn to pick before they become hard to handle. We feel that if we can pick while they are still hard and not giving off odor but ripen about 2-4 days later we have nailed it. That way the fruits can be handled, even transported.
Peter
Thank you for the valuable info.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 01:45:47 AM »
First year fruiting? How many on a tree?

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 03:42:49 AM »
Flowering since few years. But, male flowers only.
This is the first time I am seeing a female flower and it held.

Oqueel

• Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 12:51:00 PM »

Mine has been flowering like that for 2 years! I was starting to worry but now I feel better. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 12:57:38 PM »

Mine has been flowering like that for 2 years! I was starting to worry but now I feel better. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!
Welcome!