Author Topic: Cancun fruit find.  (Read 1872 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Cancun fruit find.
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
I've been overstuffing myself with

The green kind is what I really like, very sweet, some graininess. The black kind is not worth it at all.  Very dry and doughy, has a starchy feel to it. There was also very good rambutan and ataulfo mangoes, forgettable kenep, and fairly decent dragon fruit. Interestingly, the annonas are called saramullo, not cherimoya or cherimola like it was explained in a thread here not to long ago.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Cancun fruit find.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Nice find Newgen,
it is unfortunate the black ones weren't very good, they sure look interesting.  No jack fruit? 

Enjoy the trip!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »
I wish there was jackfruit, star apple,... would have loved to try a rollinia, read so much good review on it.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
Hi Newgen

The saramuyos look good. Cancun is not a very good place for tropical fruits. You have to head south towards Belice or West towards valladolid.....there you will find Jackfruit, mangostane, nance and better overall tropical fruits.  BTW, the rambutan are from Chiapas and caimito(milk fruits) are in Febuary to April.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
Saramuyos are the same as Anon, Sugar-apple, Sweetsop, and many other common names. 

Central-Eastern Mexico and South-Eastern Mexico have a wide variability of Annona squamosa, and are thought to be the native area of origin of the species.  Because the seeds stay viable for months, or even more than one year, this species was among the first few that the early European explorers succeeded in spreading far and wide -- including to Brazil and India, where many now contend that sugar-apple is native.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk