Author Topic: Am I Pickering?  (Read 6723 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Am I Pickering?
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
So it has come up in another thread that my Pickering might be different. So thought I'd start a thread to track the progress of mine and see what others think. I went and looked in my garden book - bought it from pine island in 2010, and the label shows the nice golden yellow fruit. Last year however, I had 4 fruit, none of which was yellow when ripe. The insides were dark orange, and it was extremely sweet with a lot of coconut flavor. The fruit was huge! But they did not ripen until august. The tree is very small and seems to exhibit the dwarf growth habit I expect. So now som pics

Fruitlets and young fruit were markedly reddish

As they grew they got more and more green

The fruit were huge! I used quart sized jugs to protect from raccoons

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the fruit, but they were fully ripe.

Here is what the tree looks like this year

And this year's immature fruit

Whatever I have, it is excellent! But am very interested in others opinions - is this is actually Pickering?

I'll post more pics as this year's crop matures. Be very interesting to see if they turn yellow this year!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Am I Pickering?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
Looks like Pickering. If they get lots of direct exposure to sunlight, they can develop a nice yellow and pinkish/red blush to them.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:07:45 AM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
Thanks for the pictures to compare to - those are very pretty! My fruits last year were shaded - the tree is so small the fruits are literally on the ground, and the plants around the tree cast shade on them. When the tree gets to its full size, the fruit will eventually be above the decorative edging plants:) So if they aren't getting enough sun can they ripen without turning yellow?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
Some parts will turn yellow, but it won't be as uniform. If the color test can't be done, you can always give them a very light squeeze and if they "give" just a little (vs being rock hard) then they can be picked for counter top ripening.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »
It looks like Pickering to me as well...I've not seen that pretty color on my Pickerings like TnTrobbie's. I think its due to the fact that most of them are hidden in the canopy and don't get much direct sun...which is fine because I use those Clam shells and they can sunburn them sometimes... I'm still waiting for mine to start coloring up...they are all pretty rock hard and mostly green, but I do see a hint of yellow on a couple. I'm also seeing some fairly large size on my tree...very happy about that.

The growth habit on your tree is similar to mine as well...the only difference is mine is a VERY vigorous grower for a dwarf tree...Planted it from a 7 gallon in May 2011...this was taken in April of this year! Its huge for a 3 year old "dwarf",lol...

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
I just bought this one from Jene's Tropical in St. Pete in May.  It had no tag, but the leaves look identical to yours.  I have been spoiled with the PIN TAGS.  No fruit yet of course.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
rbody2...since you say it has no tags...is that suppose to be a Pickering or was it labeled on the nursery pot? or was it a NOID mango tree ??

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
So maybe the lack of coloring in mine is due to shade. Puglvr, interesting that yours don't color up as brightly either. I too am keeping mine inside plastic covers to keep the critters off them - I wonder if the plastic filters out some of the parts of the sunlight that cause the color change? Went and looked at mine this morning, and I'm starting to see maybe a hint of yellow on the topmost part. So maybe they'll get some color this year! That is an amazingly shaped tree puglvr! What are you feeding it? It is huge compared to mine! I probably shouldn't have let mine hold fruit last year, strictly speaking - culling would probably have let the tree size up better. I was good about that with my other varieties, but I was impatient to taste this one:)

Nice tree rbody - hope it is a pickering! I've only been to Jene's once, and as I recall, there were many trees whose labels were no longer legible, and the owner was selling by memory of what was where. Lovely people tho, and very fun place to wander around.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »

Oops, Sorry about that ...I just realized I put the wrong date on when I planted this Pickering..turns out its not 3 years old its only 2 years old,lol...I planted it May 16 2012 So its really unreal how fast it grew in just 2 years!

Here's the picture I took when I planted it May 2012...

Thanks Sun! That tree fruited the first time a year after I had it...but only had 4-5 fruits. This year is much better appx. 20+ I do remember I watered it often and fertilized it monthly (with lesser) amounts...also having it planted close to the house and having a not so brutal winter last 2 years really helped it a lot...I still had some freeze damage but not as much as other years...

I've used fish emulsion...Dynamite slow release (HD) and 8-3-9 and or Citrus/Avocado/Mango fertilizer...I also sprayed the new growths with Phyto fos when it was young and newly planted...

I'm not sure its the Clamshell that prevents the coloring...I had a potted Pickering a few years ago(its dead now) and it was in full sun and I didn't know then to use the Clamshell and it did not color up well on the tree...it did color us a little after I picked it and let finish ripening on the counter though...

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
Puglvr1 - It only had Pickering written on the nursery pot in yellow chalk.  Also, the owner said that it was a Pickering.
Hopefully it is.

Sunworshiper - Thanks!  I hope it is a Pickering.  Most importantly I hope I love it no matter what it is.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
Yes, that's certainly Pickering. 

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »
Yes, that's certainly Pickering.

;D
SWRancher - Are you referring to Sunworshiper's tree only? Lol

Sunworshiper - Thanks for starting this thread.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »
Sunworshiper: Do you put the plastic jugs over the mango fruit while it is still on the tree? I also have a lot of trouble with raccoons. I put woven wire fence and bird netting over my Pickering in hopes of slowing them down.
Erica

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
None of my Pickering have had any reddish color!!!! I have my doubts!
FloridaGreenMan

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
This is all so interesting!

Floridagreenman, so no red on yours. Do other people's have a distinct red tinge when small? If not, is that characteristic of any other variety?

Swrancher, what are the key characteristics that you use to id?

Rbody - I think if it was written on the pot there is a good chance it is Pickering.

Erica, yes I use the jugs while on the tree. Hard to tell in the pic, but I cut the sides of the jug part way so I could pry it open to put over the fruit. Fruit was so low that the jug was sitting on the ground, so no need to devise a way to hold it on. I also poked a lot of holes in it so air could circulate and water could drain out. Using it like puglvr uses strawberry clamshells. That fruit was too big for a strawberry container. For some reason raccoons love these, even green. Mine started getting claw and bite marks when they were only half size this year! Have strawberry clams on them for now. Jug is hard to cut, but worked great! So far strawberry ones are doing the trick this year until the fruit outgrow them - saved some lettuce containers that r bigger, going to try to modify those to work tomorrow. I'll try to get pics of how the fruit look and the protectors when I swap them out.

Most impressive puglvr! That is some amazing fast growth! Thanks for the input on coloring & the effect the clam shells have.

Cant wadi to see how mine develop this year!

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »
nothing for nothing, it kinda looks like my Springfel.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »

Thanks Sun, it really is amazing the way this tree has grown  ;)...Very pleased with it!!

Rbody, I meant to tell you I'm pretty sure you have a Pickering as well...my Pickering came from Jene's Tropical also, and if memory serves mine was tagged on the pot also. Marking them on the pot is probably more reliable simply because the tags on the tree could fall off...

My bet is still (Sun) that yours is a Pickering...especially since you had commented on tasting a lot of coconut flavor in yours and if you look at the part (where the stem connects to the fruit) not sure if that's called a "nose" or not,lol...but That's a characteristic I've noticed on my Pickering...It also appears your fruits get a lot more direct sun than mine, so that maybe why you are getting those reddish coloring on them? Just a guess though...as I'm certainly not an expert on Mango varieties  ::)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the pointers on fruit shape puglvr! I am still leaning toward this being pickering too, and that last year's fruit just didn't color up for some reason.

As promised, here are some shots of the fruit with the protectors off. This is much more yellowing that I had on any of the fruits last year!

And here are the protectors I made today out of some lettuce containers that are bigger than the strawberry clamshells. Used a box cutter to put a bunch of air holds in them and cut a spot for the stem. Used gorilla tape to make the hole for the stem not sharp.

Here they are on the tree

They don't click shut quite as hard as the strawberry clamshells do, might have to tape them shut with gorilla tape, not sure yet. Will check them in the morning to find out.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Its amazing that a tree that small can hold fruit without stressing out..

Enjoy !
Ed,,
Zone 10

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
The shape of the leaves, and the shape of the fruit, the red dots on the near mature fruit... I would put money on that being a Pickering.  Are any of the fruit out in full sun, all day? 

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
Thanks Ed! So far it seems pretty happy. It is very fun to see huge fruit on a tiny tree.

Patrick, the tree is in nearly full sun, but as it is so small, the fruits are at nearly ground level and so tucked down into foliage and only in partial sun. Thanks for pointing out the red dots as an important marker!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
Whether the fruit are tucked in the leaves or not, they should still color up.  My guess is the plastic bottles and clam shells have something to do with it.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 11:21:40 PM »
Noel - here are a box of fresh picked Pickering with yhe red coloration.

- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »

Wow!! That box of Pickering sure looks delicious...love the coloring on them!

Sun, you can see in this picture a deeper produce Clamshell, I think they had Kiwis in them, can't remember?

You can see the strawberry size one on the right is nowhere as deep....These come in handy for the larger size mangoes I have like the Keitts.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
That is a very pretty box of mangos Rob! Yummy! Certainly seems possible that the clamshells keep them from getting full color. Of course if they can get ripe without showing much color, that's actually a bonus for me, as my tree is about 3' from the sidewalk. Keeps people from thinking they are "done".

Puglvr, I definitely will have to collect some of those bigger clamshells next year. I didn't collect enough this year, but I'm not complaining, always great to have more fruit than anticipated!