Author Topic: Has any body bought Tim Thompson's new mango varieties?  (Read 55444 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Has any body bought Tim Thompson's new mango varieties?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
Has anyone who has ordered trees from Tim received them?  I heard that some folks were slated for an April delivery and I'm wondering if anyone here was in that group.  I'm in the summer delivery group but haven't heard anything about that yet.

Mine is due to arrive may 21st according to an email.
Shane

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 12:35:51 AM »
Has anyone who has ordered trees from Tim received them?  I heard that some folks were slated for an April delivery and I'm wondering if anyone here was in that group.  I'm in the summer delivery group but haven't heard anything about that yet.

Mine is due to arrive may 21st according to an email.

that's great news Tim will be speaking at our local CRFG meeting Thursday.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »

that's great news Tim will be speaking at our local CRFG meeting Thursday.

Please give us an update.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
Yes Please Tell Tim that many Florida Folks would like to Purchase those trees asap !

Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »
Yes Please Tell Tim that many Florida Folks would like to Purchase those trees asap !

Ed

Many???  That is a stretch  to put it mildly.   I would venture to say it is a short list of people who may have interest.  I would warn that not only are these not proven but who knows how tge rootstock will handle Florida's climate and soil.  Wont even delve into the quality of the fruit.
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »

Ed

Many???  That is a stretch  to put it mildly.   I would venture to say it is a short list of people who may have interest.  I would warn that not only are these not proven but who knows how tge rootstock will handle Florida's climate and soil.  Wont even delve into the quality of the fruit.

Optimistic zone pushers :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 11:39:26 PM »
I'll talk to Tim tomorrow I plan on going.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
I Will Try It , There Only $60-$70 Per Tree  :-X , ..
If It Fails Then back To The Drawing Board ..

Ed
Zone 10

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »
James Agren posted a picture of the delivered trees on Facebook California Rare Fruit Growers and comment; "Thank you Tim Thompson and Maggie Young for delivery! Our CRFG chapter (North County San Diego) is the first customer to receive an order. Eight cold tolerant varieties of mango developed for commercial cultivation in Southern California by Tim Thompson, So Cal Plant Breeders. I'm planting four here in Vista."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:02:39 AM by ricshaw »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
Happy to hear of the delivery....now to assess the "cold hardiness" of the trees, probably difficult to do in San Diego.  Hopefully someone further north in CA received trees.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
Tim made the drive down to the OC fairground to our local chapter last night. I enjoyed his presentation his selection process sounds legit but he's had to scramble for scions to meet the overwealming demand for his trees along the way, he's is having some health issues to further delay the first release. I talked to him personally and he assure me he's started shipping his orders. He is taking orders for 2017. I challenge him to bring his mangos to La Habra for our sept tasting this year he wasn't sure because he's stripping his trees to fill his 2017 orders

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
James Agren posted a picture of the delivered trees on Facebook California Rare Fruit Growers and comment; "Thank you Tim Thompson and Maggie Young for delivery! Our CRFG chapter (North County San Diego) is the first customer to receive an order. Eight cold tolerant varieties of mango developed for commercial cultivation in Southern California by Tim Thompson, So Cal Plant Breeders. I'm planting four here in Vista."
Thanks for update Rick, we've (Central Coast Chapter CRFG) has paid for many tree and await delivery but Tim, seems to be having hard time dealing or learning to deal with Ag-Dept locally and his area, so we will see but this post gives me hope :P
Thanks Frank, for your update on Tim also ;) 8)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »
Thanks for update Rick, we've (Central Coast Chapter CRFG) has paid for many tree and await delivery but Tim, seems to be having hard time dealing or learning to deal with Ag-Dept locally and his area, so we will see but this post gives me hope :P

Does the Central Coast Chapter CRFG know about the set back Tim had when a high wind storm in December 2013 took out the greenhouse he was growing grafted seedlings for 2014 delivery which set back production one year?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:49:03 PM by ricshaw »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »

Does the Central Coast Chapter CRFG know about the set back Tim had when a high wind storm in December 2013 took out the greenhouse he was growing grafted seedlings for 2014 delivery which set back production one year?

I think so. Did you know the high wind storm in Dec. 2013 initially delayed delivery 2 months and then until September 2014 and then April 2015 and now they are still "soon come". A lot of people that PRE PAID are in the dark for along time.

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert
by BayAreaTropical25 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b/10a Sunset 17
sk290 wrote:
I called Tim this morning to get an update on our group order since we're supposed to get our trees in July.

Tim said that in December they had big winds that blew apart one of the big greenhouses at the nursery that was growing his mango trees. Because of that some of the trees had to spend the winter outdoors which has delayed their growth which put us 2 months behind. Tim said that now the trees are growing nicely but they are not at a size he would like for delivery and that they are better off growing in the greenhouse (and I'm assuming being regularly fed nutrients for better and faster growth).

Now we are looking at the first of September for delivery. I told him that we were all very anxious to get the trees and he said that HE was very anxious to get the trees out. So we just have to have a little more patience. I'd rather get better trees than hurry the delivery. Natural conditions (wind) is something we can't do anything about. Sorry everyone! I will try to keep you updated.

Sandra

Just a curiosity. If the big storm that happened in December damaged his green house, shouldn't he have let you know that in February when you placed the order that is was probably going to be delayed? I'm a little skeptical of that explanation and glad I am not in on the order! I hope you all are able to obtain the items you paid for.

by sk290 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 9a
Okay, I got in touch with Tim today and this is what he said:

"This year's weather has not cooperated with the growth of his trees. They have not grown to a size he feels comfortable delivering, especially since a very harsh winter is forecasted for this year. So, he's paying for greenhouse space through the winter season until the threat of frost is over and delivering the trees in April sometime. A refund will be issued to whomever is not willing to wait until then. The people willing to wait until April for delivery will be gifted a guava and a dragon fruit plant along with your order. He's been working on developing this guava which is supposed to produce large fruits and the dragon fruit is red or purple, not the Vietnamese white."

I know this is a drag for everyone as we all have been very anxious to get our trees. I'm still hanging on to the hope that they will turn out to be great trees and produce well so I'm willing to wait until next season. If you had an order for a tree and no longer wish to wait, please let me know and I will request for a refund. I'm supposed to email Tim back and let him know what everyone wants to do. I'm very sorry about the further delay.

Sandra

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
Did you know the high wind storm in Dec. 2013 initially delayed delivery 2 months and then until September 2014 and then April 2015 and now they are still "soon come". A lot of people that PRE PAID are in the dark for along time.

Just a curiosity. If the big storm that happened in December damaged his green house, shouldn't he have let you know that in February when you placed the order that is was probably going to be delayed? I'm a little skeptical of that explanation and glad I am not in on the order! I hope you all are able to obtain the items you paid for.

By the end of Summer 2015, we should know a little more.

Part of the in the dark problem is "they" are not very good with communications and using computers IMO.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:07:09 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
FYI for all non CRFG members:  Part of the CRFG "group buy" discount offer was you had to pre pay.  You had to buy at a chapter meeting when the offer was given. I don't think any individual orders were taken without payment.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:56:33 PM by ricshaw »

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
A delivery of the mangos has been made to the San Diego north county CRFG.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
This might be a dumb question but why would someone in Vista need one of these cold tolerant trees?  Their climate is warm enough (from what I've seen there anyway) to get good fruit with many cultivars.  I guess it could make sense for someone who lives in a valley.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 11:22:17 PM »

Yes Rick, we knew about G.H. damage, all I can say is that it's been a long wait!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2015, 02:01:41 AM »
This might be a dumb question but why would someone in Vista need one of these cold tolerant trees?  Their climate is warm enough (from what I've seen there anyway) to get good fruit with many cultivars.  I guess it could make sense for someone who lives in a valley.

It snowed in Vista this year.

Edit: Ok, that was glib and unhelpful. It does get down to the low 20s every decade or so. 2007 for example.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:11:54 AM by shaneatwell »
Shane

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
Did you know the high wind storm in Dec. 2013 initially delayed delivery 2 months and then until September 2014 and then April 2015 and now they are still "soon come". A lot of people that PRE PAID are in the dark for along time.

By the end of Summer 2015, we should know a little more.

Part of the in the dark problem is "they" are not very good with communications and using computers IMO.

Tim is registered on this forum and that fruit forum and was communicating fine on the computer. When the unexpected happens with your business or if you choose to go into business , communicating with your customers , especially those who have pre payed you for a product is essential.
 Whether a good reason or just an excuse as a business you should not leave customers in the dark.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

Tim is registered on this forum and that fruit forum and was communicating fine on the computer. When the unexpected happens with your business or if you choose to go into business , communicating with your customers , especially those who have pre payed you for a product is essential.
 Whether a good reason or just an excuse as a business you should not leave customers in the dark.

Just curious, did YOU order one?

I did.

Back in 2014 I ordered one at a CRFG meeting with the understanding that I might get it in 2015.
Was I hesitant? Yes, but took a gamble because the price was very reasonable and you can always find room for another Mango tree.  ;)

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2015, 06:43:51 PM »

Just curious, did YOU order one?

I did.

Back in 2014 I ordered one at a CRFG meeting with the understanding that I might get it in 2015.
Was I hesitant? Yes, but took a gamble because the price was very reasonable and you can always find room for another Mango tree.  ;)

I did not order Mango tree's. I love Mango's and would also live by the credo that you can always find room for another Mango tree if I lived where they would grow. I hope everyone's tree's work out great and there are more quality home grown Mango varieties in CA.

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2015, 07:47:32 AM »
Interesting -- so his rootstock trees are actually airlayers from some new variety he bred?

Hello,

New to the forum and if I may jump on in. Could it be that he's using etiolation instead of airlayering per se to propagate his rootstock.

Etiolation has been succesfully used to propagate avocado rootstocks resistant to salinity and PC accross the from CA, to Spain and South Africa!

It consists on grafting scionwood from a variety whose qualities are relevant to use as rootstock onto a regular seedling and letting it sprout in a dark chamber.

The result is an etiolated shoot. The second phase  consists in perfoming cuts at its base and applying rooting hormones and wrapping it like an airlayer.

3rd phase : the plant is taken out of the dark chamber to let it get used to the light and then once it has rooted, severed at its base and planted into a larger container where it will continue to grow.

4th phase : when it is fully established, the named variety to propagate is then grafted onto the clonal rootstock.

The grafted seedling can sprout again a couple of times allowing to go through the same process again.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
Interesting -- so his rootstock trees are actually airlayers from some new variety he bred?

Could it be that he's using etiolation instead of airlayering per se to propagate his rootstock.

Etiolation has been succesfully used to propagate avocado rootstocks resistant to salinity and PC accross the from CA, to Spain and South Africa!

This is a very interesting question. I agree with you about etiolation for avocado rootstocks. I believe this is the process that Brokaw Nurseries and other use to generate clonal rootstocks. It is essentially airlayering but I recall reading (awhile ago) that there was etiolation period before the airlayering process which produces a better airlayer. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I have also always read that mangoes are typically difficult to airlayer. It can and has been done (by members of this forum too), but the success rate is often low. But I think you might be on to something. Maybe an etiolation period could really increase the success rate.

One would point out that this is not the preferred way to propagate a mango tree, because the mangoes grow with very large and deep taproots and an airlayer will obviously not have a taproot. But this can likely be overcome by tailoring a watering schedule and treating it like a shallow rooted tree (more frequent watering) instead of a deep rooted one (infrequent very deep watering). However this means that the airlayered rootstock has to be very salt tolerant because any water salinity will be exacerbated by this watering approach.

Good insights, there is a lot to consider about these trees. Which I admit I am very interested in. Every winter I protect my mango trees with C9 Christmas lights and frost cloth (my winter lows tend to be 28-30 F). But if a mango was bred to have a few more degrees of cold tolerance, it would make a big difference to my growing area.
- Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk