Author Topic: Wanted Maha Chanok budwood  (Read 2077 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Wanted Maha Chanok budwood
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I've been having a great dialog about my underperforming Angie tree (http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16712.0). I've decided to topwork it into a Maha Chanok and am looking for budwood. Anyone willing to share some? I'm in the Orlando area and will pay shipping and a small amount for your trouble. I'd also be willing to trade - I'll have a significant amount of Angie budwood, as I intend to pug the tree to prepare it for topworking. I will soon have seeds from lemon z, coconut cream and sweet tart fruits I've purchased I could trade as well.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Maha Chanok budwood
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
I've been having a great dialog about my underperforming Angie tree (http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16712.0). I've decided to topwork it into a Maha Chanok and am looking for budwood. Anyone willing to share some? I'm in the Orlando area and will pay shipping and a small amount for your trouble. I'd also be willing to trade - I'll have a significant amount of Angie budwood, as I intend to pug the tree to prepare it for topworking. I will soon have seeds from lemon z, coconut cream and sweet tart fruits I've purchased I could trade as well.

From what i have seen of your tree, do not cut it back.  The vaneer geafts can go right on the base of the scaffold limbs and utilize the existing leaves as energy.   Let whoever is gonba do the top working dictate their procedure.
- Rob

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »
Well, unless someone wants to volunteer & is in my area, it will be me doing the grafting=) I've grafted on other plant species before, and seems like an excellent opportunity to expand my skills. I was intending to cut back to force new shoots, then graft to those, as my googling seemed to indicate that has the highest success rate. Do you thing vaneer grafting  would be more likely to be successful? Regarding energy, I would now cut all branches back - the tree has 4 main scaffolds, I'd plan to leave 2 as "nurse branches" and cut 2 to graft to. Any chance you could supply bud wood Rob? I'm looking to have a small amount of budwood mailed to me, timing it so the budwood is sent after I prune and have new shoot growth happening to graft to.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »
Well, unless someone wants to volunteer & is in my area, it will be me doing the grafting=) I've grafted on other plant species before, and seems like an excellent opportunity to expand my skills. I was intending to cut back to force new shoots, then graft to those, as my googling seemed to indicate that has the highest success rate. Do you thing vaneer grafting  would be more likely to be successful? Regarding energy, I would now cut all branches back - the tree has 4 main scaffolds, I'd plan to leave 2 as "nurse branches" and cut 2 to graft to. Any chance you could supply bud wood Rob? I'm looking to have a small amount of budwood mailed to me, timing it so the budwood is sent after I prune and have new shoot growth happening to graft to.

PM Sent
- Rob

NataKoss

• USA, Florida, Venice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
Hi.I would like to suggest you to cut Angee just partially.Reason: for first 4 years of having Angee I felt same as you:bad mango with huge over advertisement. This year I have much more   delicious fruits on it. It seems like quality of fruit taste improves dramatically.
Regards,Natasha

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:38 AM »
Thanks for the input on your experience NataKoss. If I had more space, I'd leave it alone, but I have so few places in my yard for mangos that I've decided to replace it with another variety that can produce more reliably. I don't have room in my yard for iffy producers.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
Rob, sent you a pm with pics of the tree a couple days ago, did they come through? If not, I can repost them here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk