Author Topic: Fresh Durian in South Florida (with Video)  (Read 15676 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Fresh Durian in South Florida (with Video)
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
I managed to acquire a fresh (never frozen) Thai durian a few months back and I took it to Harry's house in Davie for a tasting. Here are some pics and a video:

Opening a ripe durian.

I left the durian in my car overnight and the smell remained in the car for over 2 weeks.

Harry staring intensely at the durian.

The remnants.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:24:14 PM by murahilin »

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Durian in South Florida (with Video)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
sheehan, why did you end the video before the money shot?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
I don't think anyone wants to see a video involving Warren and a money shot...

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
sheehan, how did you get hold of fresh durian in the US? did you try any? did you like it?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
It was brought back from Thailand (with a permit) and the person who brought them back had a few extra and gave me one.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:34:28 AM »
and Sheehan LOVES Durian  ;D ;D
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
And what became of the seeds?

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:02:42 PM »
It was brought back from Thailand (with a permit) and the person who brought them back had a few extra and gave me one.

I'd think that the Asian supermarkets would have fresh durians. It's not too rare to see them here in So Cal markets, don''t know when they were removed from the trees, but the fruits are not frozen.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »

I'd think that the Asian supermarkets would have fresh durians. It's not too rare to see them here in So Cal markets, don''t know when they were removed from the trees, but the fruits are not frozen.

All the ones i saw in Little Saigon markets were frozen whole, then thawed out, so looked fresh, but really frozen.
Oscar
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
So ..... Was it tasty?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
Newgen is right, when in season they are available fresh at some supermarkets, especially the specialty fruit shops along Bolsa Ave in Westminster, they were sold fresh not previously frozen or thawed out, quite expensive too. 
While the frozen durians aren't spectacular in flavor, these fresh ones were much less impressive because they're picked way too early, from my personal experience of course.  Hit and miss, but mostly the latter for us and everyone we know.  You can also find them fresh in San Diego as well, just have to know where to look.
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
what kind of persimmons them be? triumph?
Jeff  :-)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
And what became of the seeds?

I think Harry may have planted them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
Newgen is right, when in season they are available fresh at some supermarkets, especially the specialty fruit shops along Bolsa Ave in Westminster, they were sold fresh not previously frozen or thawed out, quite expensive too. 
While the frozen durians aren't spectacular in flavor, these fresh ones were much less impressive because they're picked way too early, from my personal experience of course.  Hit and miss, but mostly the latter for us and everyone we know.  You can also find them fresh in San Diego as well, just have to know where to look.

In Thailand they are picked green and then dipped in chemical growth retardant so they will last even longer. You have to eat a durian straight off the tree to really get what the craze is all about.
Oscar
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
That was something I meant to ask, the fresh durians I've seen seemed to have very long shelf life.  I was just going to ask why not pick them at or near peak of ripeness, but what you're saying explains it.  How long would a freshly picked durian last without any treatment, Oscar?  I ate quite a few durians growing up and also from my last visit in Vietnam.  Sad we can't find that quality here. 
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »
That was something I meant to ask, the fresh durians I've seen seemed to have very long shelf life.  I was just going to ask why not pick them at or near peak of ripeness, but what you're saying explains it.  How long would a freshly picked durian last without any treatment, Oscar?  I ate quite a few durians growing up and also from my last visit in Vietnam.  Sad we can't find that quality here.

I think in Thailand usually the fruit is eaten within a week of being picked from the tree. These fruits you are seeing in California are sent by ship from Thailand and probably over a month old by the time the consumer eats it.
Oscar
Oscar

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
mmmmmmm 1 month old fresh fruit yummy

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »
So ..... Was it tasty?

You're going to have to ask Warren and Harry to answer that. My opinion on durian remains the same.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »
mmmmmmm 1 month old fresh fruit yummy

What gets me is that folks that taste one month old durian fruits or frozen fruits start bashing durians. They have absolutely no idea of what a durian even is. It is like somebody tasting a one month old mango saying they don't like mangos.
Even the westerners that have been to Thailand i think many have not had a good durian fruit. It has to be at just the right stage of ripeness, you have to know how to pick them, and vendors there are very good at pushing unsellable fruits on unsuspecting farangs (foreigners). Worse yet are the pulp pieces already in plastic bags, most are total junk.
Oscar
Oscar

efithian

• View Profile
Fresh Durian
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
I have had durian that was frozen in the US and found that it was impossible to stop eating. It is available anytime in my hometown of Allentown, PA. If frozen solid it needs to be thawed overnight. I was also able to get durian while visiting my son in Colorado. It was purchased from an Asian market in Broomfield, CO. When my wife and I made a trip to Southeast Asia in January 2009, I decided to try a fresh durian. We found one in a market in Saigon. The saleslady opened it for me and removed the flesh. My wife does not care for durian or its aroma. I could not take it to the hotel, so I sat in the park in front of the hotel and ate the entire durian. It tasted much better than the frozen ones I have had. It was a little more expensive than during the season, but it was worth it. About $4 for the entire fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Fresh Durian
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
I have had durian that was frozen in the US and found that it was impossible to stop eating. It is available anytime in my hometown of Allentown, PA. If frozen solid it needs to be thawed overnight. I was also able to get durian while visiting my son in Colorado. It was purchased from an Asian market in Broomfield, CO. When my wife and I made a trip to Southeast Asia in January 2009, I decided to try a fresh durian. We found one in a market in Saigon. The saleslady opened it for me and removed the flesh. My wife does not care for durian or its aroma. I could not take it to the hotel, so I sat in the park in front of the hotel and ate the entire durian. It tasted much better than the frozen ones I have had. It was a little more expensive than during the season, but it was worth it. About $4 for the entire fruit.

I don't know of any fruit that tastes better frozen than fresh? With almost all fruits there is a decline in quality of the fruit taste and texture after freezing. The longer the fruit is frozen the bigger the decline in quality.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »
It looks a bit like a gaan yeow (long stem) which is a good thai cultivar.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Today,
I stopped at the vietnamese store, a few blocks from my house, and bought a small box of frozen durian from Thailand!  It cost a little less that 10 bucks for a smail box. Even frozen, durian is a nice treat.  Durian is one of the best fruits there is.  Either you love durian or you cannot stand them.  My wife falls on the second category!
One day, I plan to eat a fresh one directly from the tree.  So far, I have met a lady that her family owns a large durian plantation in Thailand.  I've made some progress on my fresh durian long term project!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »
Berto I suppose you have looked at 100's of durians seeking the most cold tolerant good ones.May I suggest lin laplae and long laplae as the srongest contenders, D.macrantha (really just a red flowering zibethinus) and ironically red prawn (D175) also are heavweights for cooler areas.Kradum is hard core commercial and grows a long way north in thailand so this northern material is also worth securing.Pomoho montong is probably the most cool tolerant of all the montong class and came to hawaii via thailand.In my opinion of 300 thai types just those 4 specific ones are worth trying and only one malaysian of 300 and one indonesian of who knows how many.Kradum means button just like in the lychee world fai zee siu means concubine laughing. 

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
Mike,
Thank you for the information.  I do not plan to plant a durian tree  here in SW Florida.  all I want to do is eat a bunch of them nice and fresh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk