Author Topic: Mango Trees Eaten by Dobermans Please HELP  (Read 4579 times)

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
Mango Trees Eaten by Dobermans Please HELP
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:20:28 AM »
Hello. This is my first post and it is a sad one. Was wondering if i should just throw these trees to the trash after my Dobermans decided it was a toy. I had just bought them. It was a Kesar in a 7 gallon and a Glenn in a 3 gallon. I was very mad when i got home and saw this. Dobermans are in timeout. Any help would be appreciated as i am just now getting started with growing fruit trees. Will they eventually grow back? should i just go buy new trees? is there anyone who can help me? ill take the trees to you and see if you can work any magic. I am in the Los Angeles area about 15 mins from LAX. Thanks in advance. Please send me an email at   alangr088@hotmail.com   if you feel you can help me out.....here is a link to the video of the damage

https://youtu.be/TsCsguLDsYc

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:39:58 AM by alangr088 »

alangr088

• View Profile
Re: Mango Trees Eaten by Dobermans Please HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:21:41 AM »
Here is a picture of the trees in the car about 2 days ago when i bought them.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 05:13:56 AM »
If they are chewed off above the graft(assuming they are grafted trees) , there is a chance they will shoot and keep growing. If not, you could wait and see if they shoot below the graft, and find someone to regraft the trees when they are ready. I would buy sell the dogs, buy new mango trees and start over. Maybe get a cat or some goldfish, less destructive.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
The first one has a good chance to grow back just fine, it is well above the graft line. It is hard to tell on the second one where we just see the damage from the top. Either way, just take good care of them and wait. Mangos are pretty good about bouncing back from damage like this.
Dom

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:59:18 AM »
Since you're just getting started with growing fruit trees, I would go out and get new, healthy trees if you can afford that option.  Otherwise, wait and see if they grow back.
John

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
Since you're just getting started with growing fruit trees, I would go out and get new, healthy trees if you can afford that option.  Otherwise, wait and see if they grow back.

OR, if you can afford to get some new ones AND needed an excuse to plant more mangos that a significant other would buy, then just go buy two more, and set those aside and "forget" to throw them out for a while. Then you get to act super surprised when they grow back and you've got 3 or 4 mangos.  ;)
Dom

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »

OR, if you can afford to get some new ones AND needed an excuse to plant more mangos that a significant other would buy, then just go buy two more, and set those aside and "forget" to throw them out for a while. Then you get to act super surprised when they grow back and you've got 3 or 4 mangos.  ;)

Other varieties?
John

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
Yes the smaller one is the Glenn, the torn off section is above the graft. The second one is the Kesar. Here are some pictures of the Kesar in the daylight. I cant really tell where the graft is....might have gotten chewed off. I am now debating if I should go and buy a new Kesar? or just try to find a Sweet Tart? Seems like the Sweet Tart is the most positive reviewed tree to grow in SoCal. I currently have what i believe is a Valencia Pride (from MIMOSA about 4 ft tall) and an Alphonso (from Exotica about 7 feet tall) Thank you for your replies.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »
Ooh yeah, I'd say that Kesar is shot. The graft union is where it is swollen up a little bit. I'd set it aside and see if it will flush out then use that as rootstock to graft on to later if it recovers.
Dom

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. Bit the bullet and bought new trees(Kesar and Glenn again). Hoping the Glenn grows back and keeping the rootstock from the Kesar.

Jon

• US NY Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 08:02:43 PM »
Good Luck with your new tree replacements.
Its only money, and dogs will be dogs, and I love em all.
Dobies are great dogs, luckily the plants were toxic.
Jon

Jon

• US NY Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 08:04:39 PM »
Sorry, NOT toxic.
Jon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »
that's horrible....my dogs chewed up my LZ and a few other trees when they were pups. I would replace them with sweet tart and harvest moon.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »
that's horrible....my dogs chewed up my LZ and a few other trees when they were pups. I would replace them with sweet tart and harvest moon.

To me, Harvest Moon and Glen are in a very similar class.  Basic mango flavor with no distinguished characteristics or flavors and both lacking that wow factor.

Dont know how it will do in Cali but of the current newest Zill varieties, Juicy Peach, Peach Cobbler and Pineapple easure are far superior.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 11:22:45 AM »
Yah, that was my impression of harvest moon too.

To me, Harvest Moon and Glen are in a very similar class.  Basic mango flavor with no distinguished characteristics or flavors and both lacking that wow factor.

Dont know how it will do in Cali but of the current newest Zill varieties, Juicy Peach, Peach Cobbler and Pineapple easure are far superior.
Jeff  :-)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »
I'm going by what's easiest to grow in our area. I have had some difficulties growing juicy peach  & peach cobbler. In trying to nail it down to the best ten varieties that are top tier and easy to grow.

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 02:16:58 AM »
Got 3 of my 5 mango trees planted yesterday. I have a mango tree that i dont know what it is yet. Got it from mimosa as a "lost mango tree" as they lost the labels for its name. 

This one is the Kesar....planted yesterday.

I ended up getting a Sweet Tart...planted yesterday.

This is Alphonso which has been in the ground for about 2 months.

This one is Glenn...planted yesterday.

This one is my "lost" mango tree. I have had it in the ground for about 10 months. I showed a picture of it to a guy working at a nursery and he said it looked a lot like Valencia Pride.....so as of now i am just assuming it is a Valencia Pride. Wish me luck on my Mango trees!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »
As those are ZHPP propagated trees, unfortunately you will most likely have issues with them.  You need fo reach out 9some of the experienced Cali forum members familiar with mangoes in Cali for guidance.
- Rob