Author Topic: How to prune this super lanky coconut cream mango?  (Read 5951 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
How to prune this super lanky coconut cream mango?
« on: April 24, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
Too much flowering and too few leaves.
Thanks,

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: How to prune this super lanky coconut cream mango?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
  Trung

My  CC is lanky too but more like a 6 foot trunk with a few sparatic limbs here and there . I have been considering pugging it but want to make sure that it's about to go into a growth flush first.

William

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »
William,
What would you do in my case? I was thinking of drastic amputation ;D

Trung,

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
How much sun vs shade do you get a day?

I would wait until things swell up for a new growth push, which is a few weeks after the flower panicle dies off, strip the leaves and snip the branch ends. It will branch out all along the stem.  It looks like it has a nice scaffolding already, just needs a few more internodes.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
What are your average nightly low temperatures now? If your nightly lows are above 62F, there is a good chance the next flush will be vegetative. The literature says the temps should be above 66F but it's not an exact science. Another good sign the next flush will be vegetative is if nearby mango trees have vegetative growth flushes.

Your tree looks like it's in decline which opens it up to infection to diseases such as Phomopsis.

Simon

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
I am not an expert, but the branching point does not seem very sturdy, i have a tree with a similar branching point, i pugged it 2 Months ago and it is now pushing vegetative flush. (I did it when i saw buds swelling all over the branches so i assumed it was going vegetatively, but in your case as others told you, you might want to wait till night emps are warm enough to be sure that they are vegetative or when the little fruitlets form on the panicles)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
I trained my peach cobbler which is on a turpie. I did not let a single branch grow more than 10 inches. I pugged at every 10 inch growth. Coco Cream is very fragile wood too. I would stake the hell out of it. You need some serious pruning to do, plus turbo charge ferts, NPK

shinzo

• Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »
I trained my peach cobbler which is on a turpie. I did not let a single branch grow more than 10 inches. I pugged at every 10 inch growth. Coco Cream is very fragile wood too. I would stake the hell out of it. You need some serious pruning to do, plus turbo charge ferts, NPK
Interesting technique. Do you have pics of the whole process and of the final result for your Peach cobbler?

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
    Trung

If it were my tree , I think I would go ahead and pugg it . I have read a lot of the old posts and it seems like the best option for a tall ,spindly tree. Actually I have several trees that need to be pugged . Maybe do some reading up on it then make your decision.

William

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »
Per Excalibur, Coconut cream grows in a weeping willow fashion at full growth with branches hitting the ground with fruit if the cap point is too low.

That said, I had to pug mine when it showed signs of disease and an ambrosria attack in the center of the trunk.  Caught it in time and saved it.

The next step is training the new head to reach 8 feet before encouraging branching and the guy will simply have a heel.

Just make sure if you pug it, get it to grow tall enough to deal with the adult weeping branches later on.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:40 AM »
I second this thought. Curious to see how the resultant growth takes shape.

-K

Interesting technique. Do you have pics of the whole process and of the final result for your Peach cobbler?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 01:24:11 AM »
Per Excalibur, Coconut cream grows in a weeping willow fashion at full growth with branches hitting the ground with fruit if the cap point is too low.

That said, I had to pug mine when it showed signs of disease and an ambrosria attack in the center of the trunk.  Caught it in time and saved it.

The next step is training the new head to reach 8 feet before encouraging branching and the guy will simply have a heel.

Just make sure if you pug it, get it to grow tall enough to deal with the adult weeping branches later on.

It will still weep with undulating branches.   That is the basic growth habit, it does not grow out of it.  Mine is a 2011 release that has been in the ground since 2012 and every year I am cutting the branches off the ground.  I have seen same thing from a top worked tree that is approximately 10 years of age.

In addition,  our problem are minor compared to the California growers,  especially when theirs are on Turpentine rootstock.   They need to have their on Manila to stand a real fighting chance.
- Rob

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
    Trung

Did you see the pic of Big al's coconut cream grown in a 45 gal pot ? It says that he pugged it in july of 2016. His pic can be found in the thread " container growing dwarf mangos "

William

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »
I second this thought. Curious to see how the resultant growth takes shape.

-K

here it is, 5 feet tall and almost 4.5 feet wide. several branches. it was 3 Gal I got 15 months ago, it had two exceptional fruits last year, I ranked it over Sweet Tart for my taste pellet. this year its full bloom, may not let is hold more than 4 as its still small plant.

Note that some of the young plants, I also tie their branches if they are unstable. over season these branches harden off in that shape.

shinzo

• Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »
Thank you very much for the answer. Do you let the leaves harden before tipping? or you tip them when they are still bronze colored?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
in some varieties, the branches are not very thick, si instead of tipping, I prune to the lower node terminal location. Varieties that have thicker flush, I not only wait for leaves to harden, but also wait until I see its terminal bud swollen, then I tip it, and cut the leaves down around the terminal bub.

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
I spent a fair amount of time getting mine into a nice shape only to have winds from a strong cold front negate my efforts. A lot staking and tape to support branches until they firm up.

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
a better angle of the shape

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:56 AM »
LZ, extreme topping last year.  Now a  4' or so high heavily branching tree setting fruit.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21887.0 

You need to knock off the panicles after they've done their thing, go against the forum NPK grain like I did and apply a high N food with micros to develop a good mass of roots and foliage.

Your choice of where to cut will be based on a weeping vs upright profile, local disease pressures, etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:36:47 AM by Mark in Texas »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
I spent a fair amount of time getting mine into a nice shape only to have winds from a strong cold front negate my efforts. A lot staking and tape to support branches until they firm up.

what a shame. It occurred to me as well, the wood of coconut cream appears to be brittle and snaps easily under light pressure. this plant needs constant staking and tying to prevent this sort of damage. feel sad for you to have this happen to such a beautiful tree.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:14 AM »

Wow that was a really nice looking tree that appears to have sheared at the graft union.  How sad
- Marley

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
Talk to "OFDsurfer", Mike. he and a few others had the same thing happen to them with there CC. I still put two of them in based on how good the fruit was. Fingers crossed and I guess leave them staked up. 

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »

OMG, just opened that up.  My condolences!  :'(  Looks like the only recourse is to let it grow suckers and graft good wood on them.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 11:07:39 AM »
Wow, very sad FruitF. sorry to see this wow :'(

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »
The s is my Sweet Tart .

Was also growing Lanky .

Zone 10