Author Topic: WANTED : 7 gallon caimito (or other sizes), ship to CA  (Read 3212 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
WANTED : 7 gallon caimito (or other sizes), ship to CA
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »
Hi, anyone selling 7 gallon caimitos (or other sizes) willing to ship to CA? Or can you please direct me to any websites that sell them?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:25:06 PM by michsu »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED : 7 gallon caimito (or other sizes), ship to CA
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:20:05 AM »
Our friend.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:48:14 AM »
Plantogram has them, but not in 7 gallon containers.  They are in 3 gallon containers, but good size from 5-6 feet tall.  I picked one up earlier in the year.  They take some shipping stress, but one of the least expensive places to get one that I have seen for the size of the plant.
Bob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
shipping and permits are going to make your price high. have you checked Mimosa or Champa Nursery in the LA area?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:23:08 AM by roblack »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
double post

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
gozp, thanks I already messaged her, but she doesn't have any right now;

Guayaba, thanks for the website.. I ordered something from them a few years back, and it was really small for a 3 gallon (especially for their price + shipping).. can you show me a picture that you have? How is your star apple doing? Maybe I should just buy some fruit from you instead  ;D

roblack, I never checked Mimosa or Champa.. one of them is in El Monte I believe.. so it's close by.. thanks for the info.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
I went to Champa 2 weeks ago, picking up a green sapote. They had a few caimito, but only green, and they were quite ugly looking

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Get you a green one and then add some scions later. Easy and cheap to send a few scions.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 04:39:51 PM »

Guayaba, thanks for the website.. I ordered something from them a few years back, and it was really small for a 3 gallon (especially for their price + shipping).. can you show me a picture that you have? How is your star apple doing? Maybe I should just buy some fruit from you instead  ;D

The Caimito is doing okay.  I bought it in March and it has been outside since then.  It has a few mangled leaves from transport and it went into some shock when I transplanted it. The pot they had it in was too small for it to survive well outdoors here.  It has perked up since I re-potted it and is just now starting to grow.  I would be glad to share Caimito fruit with you  ;D.  It may take several years before it can fruit and it really is marginal, so first up is getting it to survive outdoors through winter.  Baby steps!

Green Caimoto

New Growth

Bob

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
That's a good size for a "3 gallon" .. looks more like 7 gallon. :) but it's still pretty expensive.. total is about $134 from Plantogram.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.. good luck and hope you get fruit next year.. it might take at least 3 years but you never know..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:32:38 PM by michsu »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
That's a good size for a "3 gallon" .. looks more like 7 gallon. :) but it's still pretty expensive.. total is about $134 from Plantogram.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.. good luck and hope you get fruit next year.. it might take at least 3 years but you never know..

Most likely will take much longer than 3 years...
- Rob

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »

The Caimito is doing okay.  I bought it in March and it has been outside since then.  It has a few mangled leaves from transport and it went into some shock when I transplanted it. The pot they had it in was too small for it to survive well outdoors here.  It has perked up since I re-potted it and is just now starting to grow.  I would be glad to share Caimito fruit with you  ;D.  It may take several years before it can fruit and it really is marginal, so first up is getting it to survive outdoors through winter.  Baby steps!

Green Caimoto

New Growth

My green star Apple was almost double the height of your tree. I was so happy when it bloomed. However, it did not set fruits. the winter 2015, the trunk died back more than haft of its original size.  Now it appear like a bush than a tree. I have a few blooms last year, but never made it through the cold. I have a feeling it will not never set fruits. Please let us know When you tree sets fruit

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 12:21:29 AM »
Are there any restrictions for shipping/receiving scion bud wood to California?

-K

Get you a green one and then add some scions later. Easy and cheap to send a few scions.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Dragon - thank you for the update on your Caimito tree. Sorry to hear that the trunk died back in the winter of 2015.  We have had some unusual weather lately, but I thought 2015 was warmer than normal.  Do you think it could have been lack of humidity during the winter that caused the die back?  I will keep you guys updated on my Caimito experiment. I also have a small purple Caimito in a 2 gallon pot.  It has spent the winter in the greenhouse.  It sounds like it will be challenging to keep these plants alive much less get them to flower and fruit.  Let us know how yours progresses, if it blooms this year post some photos!  I will do the same.
Bob

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »

Picture of its Glorious time

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

This is the current bush

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »

This is the current bush
Thank you for posting the photos.  It does look like the Caimito has a rough winter in 2015.  Good to see it bounce back though and put on a lot of growth.
Bob