Author Topic: Is Sir Prize avocado a good pollinator for Haas Avocado?  (Read 9473 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Is Sir Prize avocado a good pollinator for Haas Avocado?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »
Thanks for the pix Samu!  Mine does look like that but also a bit water stressed.

So Reed don't need pollinator? Do I need to cover it in my zone 9B if I planted into the ground? Will Reed be a very huge tree? Thanks

Reed is consistent on its own and can be easily kept pruned to a 8-10' height.

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
Guys, in my zone, do I need to cover my Reed and Haas if it goes on ground? Thanks

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 04:09:58 AM »
To maximize fruit production, get yourself a pollinator but either way you will get fruit. Bees will be picking up pollen and shuttling it around all day from the same tree.

I container grow for now and I have had great success with a 3-5 gallon Jim bacon tree: it flowers like crazy and has both male/female flowers for quite a while during the middle of the day. In that size container, you can just move the tree around to whichever tree you want to have enhanced fruit set. I have found Pinkerton also makes quite a few flowers. Unfortunately I lost my first Jim bacon tree. All that flowering... I guess it set so much fruit even at such a small size and I failed to remove or thin  the fruit. Carried 40 avocados for several months before slowly dropping them and tree went into decline for next 2 seasons then died on me. Never grew the same again. Word to the wise. - don't let young trees bear so much energy rich fruit.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »
Guys, in my zone, do I need to cover my Reed and Haas if it goes on ground? Thanks

If you have winter temps below 30F, I'd say "yes" they need to be protected which is gonna be hard as those make big trees.  I'm keeping my Reed to 10' H.

What nails us in Texas even with cold hardy trees is the wild temps swings from one day to the next.  We'll have a warm south wind one day, an Arctic blast will move in and BAM, lose the un-acclimated tree to 24F at sunrise.  I've lost two (supposedly) VERY cold hardy (15F at maturity) young Arctic Frost satsuma trees, both covered. 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
Pollinator are not necessary here in Soca. We have an avocado tree every other house. I have my SP a Pinkerton in one side and a Holiday in the other, Pinkerton is the most reliable a heavy crop every year. Sir Prize and Holiday are alternate bearing.

Sir Prize has a massive crop this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk