Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183277 times)

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #700 on: November 30, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »
Definitely second the idea of using a Bacon tree to graft other varieties onto. That's a great way to use the nice Bacon tree structure.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #701 on: December 02, 2019, 02:00:51 AM »
November 30, 2019

2 hour long interesting video on Avocados.

First half on Avocado roots, rootstock, and why Brokaw trees are better.

Second half of the video is a discussion on Avocado varieties, pollination.

https://www.youtube.com/Growing Avocados
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:14:39 PM by ricshaw »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
Can anyone id this avocado variety?  Attached are pics of the fruit and foliage. 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 14, 2020, 09:36:01 PM »
Looks like fuerte.  They have pointy seeds if thats what it is.  Wait a few months they get a lot better. 
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 27, 2020, 12:26:41 AM »

Agree with Brad. I have a bacon seedling that has 7 varieties grafted onto it. Great structure and vigorous grower.

Bacon is the larger one.  Big seed makes a good rootstock.  The Stewarts have a good flavor sometimes, some of them are watery, some are ok.  But the have other issues like a little fiber, fruit fall off tree before getting oily, thin skin that cracks.  These avocados are pretty much crap to be honest.

The bacon tree is my favorite tree though, not fruit.  It's so strong and erect.  It would make a great frame to multi graft other types onto.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 28, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »
November 30, 2019

2 hour long interesting video on Avocados.

First half on Avocado roots, rootstock, and why Brokaw trees are better.

Second half of the video is a discussion on Avocado varieties, pollination.

https://www.youtube.com/Growing Avocados

Thank you very much, informative discussion. Interesting that he has a no compost in soil approach.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 30, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »
Thank you. I really enjoyed the video. It really emphasized everything I have done wrong. :(  My Avocado trees have always done fine while in pots where I can control the moisture of the potting mix, But apparently the mix stays to wet when the trees are planted into the ground. I need to find our replicate his soil for my potted trees. Our winters are very wet here, so drainage is a major concern.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:50 AM »
I wished I would have done this before planting my avocado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLOWNPbUTgA

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 06, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Thank you. I really enjoyed the video. It really emphasized everything I have done wrong. :(  My Avocado trees have always done fine while in pots where I can control the moisture of the potting mix, But apparently the mix stays to wet when the trees are planted into the ground. I need to find our replicate his soil for my potted trees. Our winters are very wet here, so drainage is a major concern.

Your best for Houston is a bottomless RootBuilder "pot".;

Avocados aren't picky about soils.  Just has to be well drained and not alkaline.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:51:28 PM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 26, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
Top Fuerte, left hass, right sharwil.  The fuerte was from another farm, greg alder gave it to me yesterday to compare against my own.  The fuerte was really nice and buttery and dense.  Kind of gooey, easy to spread and was delicious.  It did have some fibers in the bottom half of the fruit which I really don't like but overall was excellent.  The hass still sticking to the seed a bit and can use a little more hang time to bring the oil content up but still acceptable and good.  The sharwil easily has the best appearance, nice yellow color.  The sharwil is dense and already good oil content also spreads easy and taste nice.  Im excited for this variety, this was the first one I've tried and first one off my tree.  Ive got about 40 of them hanging to test over this year.  Based on the current level of ripeness here in february, I doubt these will hang past june but we will see.  Todays taste test loser was hass and I give it a toss up between fuerte and sharwil.

Sharwil has a medium peel that comes off clean, I like that a lot

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:26:39 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 27, 2020, 10:29:32 AM »
Wow, am just drooling.

My Sharwil is about to explode in blooms.  Great fruit in all respects.  It also hangs on the tree a long time.

Love the small seed too!

Low of 21F this morn.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 27, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »
Nice report Brad, sadly up here on Central coast (Arroyo Grande) Ca. two miles inland from coast Sharwil doesn't fruit at all I just stumped my 12yrs. old tree so that I can rework when sprout's appear. In all those year's I had 3- fruit but I sure love your report very nice looking fruit!! :( 8) I'm not saying to folk's don't grow this excellent variety just beware that it need's heat to set and ripen fruit ;)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 27, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »
Nice report Brad, sadly up here on Central coast (Arroyo Grande) Ca. two miles inland from coast Sharwil doesn't fruit at all I just stumped my 12yrs. old tree so that I can rework when sprout's appear. In all those year's I had 3- fruit but I sure love your report very nice looking fruit!! :( 8) I'm not saying to folk's don't grow this excellent variety just beware that it need's heat to set and ripen fruit ;)

That’s too bad Scott sharwill is top 5 cado in my book but right now Pinkerton is king, not a better fruit out there.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 27, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
Wow, am just drooling.

My Sharwil is about to explode in blooms.  Great fruit in all respects.  It also hangs on the tree a long time.

Love the small seed too!

Low of 21F this morn.

I have these plates too.. I think I bought them at target when I moved out 10 years ago... haha.
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 27, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »

That’s too bad Scott sharwill is top 5 cado in my book but right now Pinkerton is king, not a better fruit out there.

I agree pinkerton is hard to beat.  The tree isn't that great of a grower but they fruit like crazy and the quality of the fruit is amazing.  I think reed and Pinkerton's are my favorites.  Pinkerton's were amazing here around May last year.  Oil bombs.  I can tell sharwil will also be an oil bomb in a few months. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 28, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »
Found this big sir prize on the ground.  The bottom got banged up when it fell but not terrible.  The fruit are all turning black now and this one was ripe.  Nice and soft and good taste.  I like this avocado a lot.  Its a little bit big even for 4 people.  The trees growth pattern isnt good but they do put out and it is a top tier.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:32:10 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 28, 2020, 01:11:40 PM »
I've got a brogdon near Orlando FL with tons of blooms but nothing seems to be setting so far. I've read up a decent amount on setting fruit due to temperature sensitivity and flower phase overlap but nothing seems too definitive. Is there anything I can do to promote fruit set or will things work out on their own as it heats up more? I've got a lula, which I believe is the opposite flower type, with blooms about to open which should help too.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 28, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Sir prize is an excellent avocado and has a long season.  I still have some 70 fruits on my trees and the longer they hang the better they taste. We are very fortunate to have these winter/spring avocados vs the mushy Chilean hass avocados sold at Costco or other markets. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 28, 2020, 03:24:33 PM »
It's been blowing super hard santa ana winds all week 4 days straight 1% humidity and I got a few fruits dropped off.  I watered them really hard this week but they still didn't like that wind.  But surprising only a handful fell off. 

Agree about the chili avocados.  They are total crap.  Sometimes the mexican ones are good but the stuff from chili is garbage.  We quit buying those long long ago even before starting an avocado orchard.  Just like flushing money down the toilet paying for chili avocados and opening them to find stringy black mess. 
Brad Spaugh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #719 on: February 28, 2020, 03:42:38 PM »
It's been blowing super hard santa ana winds all week 4 days straight 1% humidity and I got a few fruits dropped off.  I watered them really hard this week but they still didn't like that wind.  But surprising only a handful fell off. 

Agree about the chili avocados.  They are total crap.  Sometimes the mexican ones are good but the stuff from chili is garbage.  We quit buying those long long ago even before starting an avocado orchard.  Just like flushing money down the toilet paying for chili avocados and opening them to find stringy black mess.

Can you grow bamboo out there or is it not worth the water?
-Josh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 28, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
It will grow but you have to water it.  My neighbors are Asian and grow a lot of bamboo.  Why, what are you thinking?  It's not going to block the wind if that's what you are thinking.  We are on a steep mountain top with full exposure.  There's not really any way to fix the wind problem.  It blows like a mild hurricane here, there were 100mph gusts in the mountains of San Diego this week.  I had to get out of bed at 2am the other night and go fix the greenhouse before it got shredded.  Had to put some screws into some clips on the plastic roll up sides that were coming loose.  When the house starts shaking and my trees are going sideways I'm always worried the GH will lift off and fly away ripping all the electrical lines and plumbing with it.  Luckily my concrete footing seem to be heavy enough to keep it in place.

Brad Spaugh

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 29, 2020, 05:19:59 AM »
I am just south of Tampa.  I have a Super Haas, Hass and Oro Negro.  They are blooming now.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #722 on: February 29, 2020, 10:41:05 PM »
It will grow but you have to water it.  My neighbors are Asian and grow a lot of bamboo.  Why, what are you thinking?  It's not going to block the wind if that's what you are thinking.  We are on a steep mountain top with full exposure.  There's not really any way to fix the wind problem.  It blows like a mild hurricane here, there were 100mph gusts in the mountains of San Diego this week.  I had to get out of bed at 2am the other night and go fix the greenhouse before it got shredded.  Had to put some screws into some clips on the plastic roll up sides that were coming loose.  When the house starts shaking and my trees are going sideways I'm always worried the GH will lift off and fly away ripping all the electrical lines and plumbing with it.  Luckily my concrete footing seem to be heavy enough to keep it in place.

So intense! I was thinking lining the property line with the tallest clumpers you can for wind protection. They also add a mulch layer on their own. They could possibly raise the humidity slightly with all of the water stored in the plant.

This lychee grower in Florida added a wind screening to a newly planted grove.
http://www.lycheesonline.com/photopage.cfm?pid=163
-Josh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 08, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
This WILL stop the wind from the ground up at least on fairly level ground - Leyland cypress cv "Murray" and Arizona cypress cv "Blue Ice."  Wind break for my garden, 2017  Bullet proof, super drought tolerant.

Just planted the same seedlings for a visual block in front of the barn.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2020, 12:06:51 PM »
Still waiting to try a Sharwil from Brad's tree.  I got one last saturday. 

Has anyone try a Gillogly avocado yet?  Gary Matsuoka from Laguna Hills Nursery said it's the best avocado he has so far.