Author Topic: Cara Cara yellow leaves??  (Read 2522 times)

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
Cara Cara yellow leaves??
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
I got two cara cara a couple of weeks ago. Right from the beginning one looked very pale and the other one a bit more green. After re potting one of the plants really darkened and put out a lot of new growth while the other one did nothing but instead got more ad more yellow. I thought as long as the leaves are not falling off, still hope for a turnaround. Now the leaves are dropping, weather changes and no sign of any growth. What is wrong with this tree? Is there a chance it can survive?

and new growth

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:35:15 PM by Susanne42 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Cara Cara yellow leaves??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
There is hardly any green coloration at all in those leave.  I would fertilize the tree with a 250 ppm nitrogen.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
Millet this tree get the same FP fertilizer plus organic citrus fert. every four weeks. It is not the lack of nitrogen I assume.
I water with rain water. This plant has not moved one bit. No new growth despite food and water.
When you say 250ppm nitrogen, what do I use? This is the only tree in my collection looking like this.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »
Susanne you can certainly grow your trees as you see fit.  In my opinion, for what it worth, I would forget organic type fertilizers.  Citrus are heavy feeders, and do best on conventional  type fertilizers.   I would also fertilize the tree once every two weeks instead of once a month.   From looking at the coloration of the tree's leaves it definitely looks VERY deficient in nitrogen.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
Millet I don't know what to answer to that. If you look at the two, both same treatment, one growing gangbuster and dark green, the other one the total opposite, wouldn't it be more plausible to think something is wrong with the ability to take up nutritions?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
Susanne, because your tree is not all dried up, it shows that the roots must be working, as they are drawing up water from the medium. all nutrition that a tree requires is supplied to the tree dissolved in solution.   Therefore, if the tree is drinking, and if sufficient nitrogen is in the solution, then the tree should be able to produce chlorophyll.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
Yes I would assume at least water goes through. But why no nutrition? Tree was light in color when it came here eight weeks ago. All others greened up and most all put on new growth. I got aTrovita the same time that had seven fruits on it. Left them on because the tree looked so strong. Even got new growth despite all the fruits. After some consideration (winds in particular in fall) I decided to take them all but two off. So I think my fertilizing must do something just not to this one. I was just wondering what else could cause this. Maybe just slow and before winter will see some growth? Right now I doubt more fertilizer would do anything.
Trovita before cutting the fruits off couple of days ago.

new growth

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:38:29 PM by Susanne42 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
Well one thing for sure.  If the tree's root system absorbs the water from the medium, up into the tree, then it also must absorb the irons that are dissolved in the water, such as nitrogen.  The tree certainly does not absorb the water and screen out the nitrogen.  A fertilizer that contains   nitrogen in the nitrate form, even the ammonium forms. will enter into the tree.  I still believe, your tree is nitrogen deficient.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:19:37 PM »
 some I talked to the people from the nursery where the tree came from (end of june) They said that some trees take longer to recover from shipping stress. I guess I still need to wait and hope it will decide soon to put out some new growth.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
Hope your tree does well.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
Thank you :)

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
some I talked to the people from the nursery where the tree came from (end of june) They said that some trees take longer to recover from shipping stress. I guess I still need to wait and hope it will decide soon to put out some new growth.

So what happened? I am curious....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk