Author Topic: Why won’t my miracle berry produce fruit?  (Read 2788 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Why won’t my miracle berry produce fruit?
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »
My miracle berry tree is in bloom but for some reason it won’t produce fruit. I tried giving the tree a little shake her and there to help pollinate but so far it has only produced 3 fruits. The flowers keep falling off. Any suggestions?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Why won’t my miracle berry produce fruit?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
Your tree looks great. Has it fruited much in the past (before the "3 fruits")? I not, it is probably just getting started with fruiting, and should pick up over time.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:01 PM »
I acquired the tree a year ago from someone else who said it produced minimallly, but she also wasn’t caring for it at all. 

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:17:44 AM »
Mine tend to have fruit when we have a dry spell and then get a lot of rain.They also need to
be in full sun for best results .A good dose of fertilizer might also help

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »
Here they tend to like some shade.  They are also acid loving.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
I agree regarding shade and acid soils. Keep mine in a pot, as the soil is too alkaline here. And it gets only brief direct sun, mostly indirect light. Shaded up under a jatropha tree. Well draining soil, and plenty of water works well with mine.

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
Do miracle fruit benefit from cross pollination? My plant is going through something similar. Last year when I bought it, I brought it home with close to 50 fruits on it. This year I've only gotten 3 fruit as well. I only have the one plant at this time - in partial shade in a 7 gallon pot.

scashaggy

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »
My miracle plant HATES full sun.  When I had it in mostly sun, it looked like it was a gonner.  Since, I have moved it under a tree where it gets mostly shade and it looks better than ever.  My plant has produced more since I have been fertilizing it, so try feeding it. 

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
My potted tree, has done very well this year,  lost count how many times it put out flowers and fruit.  so many berries most just dropped to the ground and were swept into the trash. 

no special treatment,  I just water them on occasion,  and once in a while fertilize when I see the leaves yellowing,   probably the easiest plant I have to take care of.  mine gets full mid day sun, for about 4-5 hours direct sunlight.  but   shade in the afternoon, and early morning due to wall and house.

Mine took a few years to do anything,  I started lowering ph,  to see if it would flower, and just weeks after , it started flowing,  and producing fruit multiple times every year since then.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:12:18 PM »
My potted tree, has done very well this year,  lost count how many times it put out flowers and fruit.  so many berries most just dropped to the ground and were swept into the trash. 

no special treatment,  I just water them on occasion,  and once in a while fertilize when I see the leaves yellowing,   probably the easiest plant I have to take care of.  mine gets full mid day sun, for about 4-5 hours direct sunlight.  but   shade in the afternoon, and early morning due to wall and house.

Mine took a few years to do anything,  I started lowering ph,  to see if it would flower, and just weeks after , it started flowing,  and producing fruit multiple times every year since then.

Nice, what did you use to lower PH just sulfer?
Brad Spaugh

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:25:10 AM »
Yes just sulfur, 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 12:39:54 AM »
I potted mine in straight peat moss, perlite and pine bark.  Then it gets some fast-acting sulfur for potted plants and regular old Miracle Gro. It is in part shade in my greenhouse, and makes more berries than I can give away.  I keep it wet, but not sopping.

But, the last plant I had only made two berries.  So I'm not sure what I am doing differently now, other than being heavy on the acid.

Carolyn

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:23 AM »
You can try hand pollinating if the plant is not too big. I did that before my plant made over 100 flowers.
One year I had over 100 fruits. Now, I don't pollinate and I get a few dozen fruits for each flush of flowers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk