Author Topic: Top work 🥭 mango project  (Read 1119 times)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Top work 🥭 mango project
« on: July 05, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
I cut this Keitt back today I'm going to top work it. You think I cut it low enough?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Top work 🥭 mango project
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
That depends on your overall vision of the final tree. From my perspective, it looks great. Top work the scaffold branches or side/cleft the small branches or new branches once they’re the appropriate size.

Simon

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:46:00 PM »
Depends.

How much of the tree did you take off already?  How large do you want the new tree to be?  Do you plan on bark grafting or on new growth later in the season?

I would cut it lower and graft on new growth.  But I think I might have lost a tree that way.
My new approach is to go in sections, take a third of so down and graft on new growth from that leaving some of the canopy to feed the roots.  Then when my grafts harden off, I take another section down getting the whole tree in 3 goes.  It takes more time to finish the tree but the two trees I have done that way seemed fine with it. 

See this video from Chris, her example looks like what you have now.  So perhaps it is OK at that height but were it my tree, I will remove more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyDpXouUAiU

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
That’s what I’m talking about 👍
Good luck !
Ed
Zone 10

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
Thanks everyone! I want it to be a nice bushy canopy. Try to keep it pretty low.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
If you want it to be low and bushy, you could cut it back some more. It also depends on what variety you plan on top working it with. Some varieties will naturally want to be more compact and bushy where as something like LZ tends to stretch out and will be more difficult to keep bushy unless you tip prune it.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »
Iv started to Top Work my Francis Hargrave , Iv Cut Some Of the branches waist high..

Ed
Zone 10

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to leave it as is and graft onto the new shoots. Can always cut more later if necessary