Author Topic: Tebow(Young) mango  (Read 4614 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Tebow(Young) mango
« on: July 15, 2019, 09:40:06 PM »
I've been growing mango and multi variety for a long time.  I just recently tasted some tebow mango and have to say that is probably the best tasting mango I have ever had.  I understand the 'young' variety was renamed tebow.  But, regardless it is a very sweet and fiberless mango that is a very pretty fruit when ripe.  The tree is slow growing and stays within bounds.     
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:20:14 PM by Central Floridave »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Tebow(Young) mango
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:56:32 PM »
I've been growing mango and multi variety for a long time.  I just recently tasted some tebow mango and have to say that is probably the best tasting mango I have ever had.  I understand the 'young' variety was renamed tebow.  But, regardless it is a very sweet and fiberless mango that is a very pretty fruit when ripe.  The tree is slow growing and stays within bounds.   

Lol what? Just for a point of reference, what was your previous #1 mango?

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:10:13 PM »
You know what I need to go taste a Young now.  😂😋  How would you describe the flavor?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
The very slow ripening process after picking it and waiting often 4 to 6 more days till it turns from yellow to more orange also results in it becoming sweeter. One of my kids would agree with you as he loves the Tebow.

I think mango tasting often follows the similar path of alcoholic beverage tasting and spicy food tasting etc. At first you want sweet and mild, but then with time you find yourself wanting more sour and hotter spices.... I'm not sure if it's good or bad... Just a commonly seen event with our change of taste and needing more intense flavors as we age & progress with continued consumption/ indulgence.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:17:29 PM »
Is this some kind of joke?

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:23 AM »
Tried my first homegrown “young/tebow” this year and it was good. Not a slow grower for me it actually is my fastest growing mango tree.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »
I have a young/ tebow and use them as my freezer mango

The size and quality of the fruit after thawing is a big plus

Can use the glass method to process the fruit for freezing also

We use them for ice cream and cooking

Have mango that tastes better but they never make the freezer

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 12:51:34 PM »
"what was your previous #1 mango?"

The mango I have in my hand and eating?  :P 

favs: kent, glenn, rosigold, pickering.  I've got about 18 variety.  The Tebow/young just produced enough fruit this year that I got them before the rodents did.  Of course there are better tasting ones that are listed but I eat what I got.     

Why would this be a joke?  Is this not a tropical fruit discussion forum?   

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
Tastes vary considerably from person to person, and over time.

I recall Tebow/Young to be a good mango. Glad you are happy with it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
"what was your previous #1 mango?"

The mango I have in my hand and eating?  :P 

favs: kent, glenn, rosigold, pickering.  I've got about 18 variety.  The Tebow/young just produced enough fruit this year that I got them before the rodents did.  Of course there are better tasting ones that are listed but I eat what I got.     

Why would this be a joke?  Is this not a tropical fruit discussion forum?   
Mango snobs!
John

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 07:51:00 PM »
Young is a VERY mild flavored mango compared to almost any other variety. However the smooth texture to the skin and the unbelievably velvety texture to the flesh is what I love about it. It’s very refreshing but rates as a “1” on a scale of flavor intensity

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
Hey, I'm a mango snob also (along with beer and coffee snob).  I get that.  Taste is subjective.   I happen to think Tebow is a really great tasting mango.   For those who don't, are you joking?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »
I'm considering banning anyone who uses the name Tebow. Horrible name for a mango. Almost as bad as Triple Sec.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »
And Raw Honey!
Har

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 11:52:24 PM »
What about 'peach cobbler'?
or Coconut tapioca pie?

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
"I'm considering banning anyone who uses the name Tebow."

LOL, I'm a long time gator-hater (Go UCF Knights) so when the name first came out I remember everyone huffin' and puffin' about it.  Especially my FSU friends.   The hate was real!   

Purely a marketing name as it got plenty of media coverage at the time.   

I haven't googled it, but any history of the 'Young' variety?    I think parents are edward/???    Not sure.   

I ate another one last night and paid attention to the taste and off-flavors.  I say canned syrupy peach.  Definite peach flavor.   

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
Sorry if I'm behind the times on this topic, but have been chasing other hobbies the last few years.  I'm back though!  I'll catch up to 2019 eventually.  :P

Found from a google search on an obscure website 2011:

youngduncan
My grandfather was issued US Plant Patent # 3,181, on May 16, 1972, for his "Young" mango. He would be rolling over if he knew that PIN had changed the name. Was named after his good friend Dr. T. W. Young of Vero Beach, Florida.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
I've now read the other comments on this forum (early 2010's) and other spots on the Internet that say the Young mango is bland and not worth growing.

...it is entirely possible that now after ten years of growing the tree that the fruit has improved?    Sometime's mango does have a bad year in taste due to environmental conditions or age of tree. 

I planted the Tebow/young in 2009.   ten years later.  I really liked the fruit and its the first time I tasted it as it always got raped by rodents.   I have given the tree zero care as well.  No spray, no fertilizer, no water. Its on its own.  Maybe that makes a diff also.  I'm a true believer on never fertilize or water a mango. They don't need it and that just encourages vegetation growth.

I'm also on Merritt Island with a ten foot sand ridge.  So, plenty of room for roots to grow. Water table is ten feet down.   

Thus, you guys in So.Fla may have different growing conditions. 

Ok, 'nuff said.  I think it is one of the best tasting.  Carry on and thanks for not banning me.  :P   

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »
The only reason I bought a Tebow was the write up on pine islands website.

I was very happy with my Fairchild and was looking to add

Had never heard about Young being the original name until I was already enjoying the fruit

For a newbie it’s easy to grow without spraying

Pine Island still sells Tebow but now relates the original name on the website

The renaming has caused a ton of trees sold when it was all but forgotten before

If I ever sell some fruit I know what name I’m using

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:55:33 AM by WGphil »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:15 AM »
I have a young/ tebow and use them as my freezer mango

The size and quality of the fruit after thawing is a big plus

Can use the glass method to process the fruit for freezing also

We use them for ice cream and cooking

Have mango that tastes better but they never make the freezer

What is the glass method?
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
I've now read the other comments on this forum (early 2010's) and other spots on the Internet that say the Young mango is bland and not worth growing.

...it is entirely possible that now after ten years of growing the tree that the fruit has improved?    Sometime's mango does have a bad year in taste due to environmental conditions or age of tree. 

I planted the Tebow/young in 2009.   ten years later.  I really liked the fruit and its the first time I tasted it as it always got raped by rodents.   I have given the tree zero care as well.  No spray, no fertilizer, no water. Its on its own.  Maybe that makes a diff also.  I'm a true believer on never fertilize or water a mango. They don't need it and that just encourages vegetation growth.

I'm also on Merritt Island with a ten foot sand ridge.  So, plenty of room for roots to grow. Water table is ten feet down.   

Thus, you guys in So.Fla may have different growing conditions. 

Ok, 'nuff said.  I think it is one of the best tasting.  Carry on and thanks for not banning me.  :P

Next year when your Youngs are in season again, maybe we can buy a few off you down here for a tasting. It would be interesting to see how the growing conditions have improved the fruit quality.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 09:42:00 PM »
And Raw Honey!

I just pretend that mango doesn't exist. It's of such mediocre quality, it should not have even been re-named.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
What about 'peach cobbler'?
or Coconut tapioca pie?

I got about 30 Peach Cobblers from my tree this year. Not worth the hassle since the fruit will ripen on the tree without changing color.

When a name is so descriptive, it ruins the fruit for me. I am expecting it to taste like a peach cobbler even though I know it won't, and when it obviously doesn't I am disappointed.

I have no such expectations for a Dot, Julie, etc.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »
"maybe we can buy a few off you down here for a tasting. "

I own a 2nd home down in Sunrise, fl. since December/18.    Thus, I'm down there more often. I'm not sure where you are, but yes, I can trade some mango when the chance happens.   

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »
This thread is about re-naming, which we generally object to.

At least 'Peach Cobbler' is an original name;  prior to being named it had an expeimental-field row-and-plant#-in-row ID, which is not normally considered to be a name.
Har