Author Topic: Finally completed my Avocado Tree Collection  (Read 4418 times)

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Finally completed my Avocado Tree Collection
« on: April 02, 2020, 09:04:39 PM »
i have the following trees in my back yard.

Bacon
Carmen
D'Arturo
Fuerte
Gem
Mexicola
Pinkerton
Reed
Stewart
Wurtz- Little Cado

So between my 10 Avocado Tree varieties, 17 citrus varieties , 9 stone fruit varieties, 12 blueberry varieties, 8 raspberry varieties, 3 red grape varieties, 8 strawberry varieties, 2 mulberry varieties I should be set on anti-oxidants, minerals, healthy fats and vitamin C all year long :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Finally completed my Avocado Tree Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:58 PM »
Are they in containers, containerman?  Or are they in the ground?
John

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 11:14:25 PM »
My Fuerte, Stewart and Bacon are in the ground. My Pinkerton and Mexicola are in a large 8x4x 3foot deep raised bed and my Reed is in a smaller raised bed 4x4x2 foot deep and the others are in 10 gallon grow bags and are young trees.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 02:05:28 AM »
Where did you get d'arturo from? Epicenter? Have they shipped trees yet?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 08:51:42 AM »
In my SoCal youth I saw many really big Fuerte trees.  It was the most popular avocado until Hass took top honors, but Fuerte was always my favorite.  I hope your tree has room to grow.  Bacon is a bland fruit--pretty but flavorless.  Modesto is a good fruit-growing area.  Best of luck!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:56:09 AM by johnb51 »
John

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:08:00 AM »
i have the following trees in my back yard.

Bacon
Carmen
D'Arturo
Fuerte
Gem
Mexicola
Pinkerton
Reed
Stewart
Wurtz- Little Cado

So between my 10 Avocado Tree varieties, 17 citrus varieties , 9 stone fruit varieties, 12 blueberry varieties, 8 raspberry varieties, 3 red grape varieties, 8 strawberry varieties, 2 mulberry varieties I should be set on anti-oxidants, minerals, healthy fats and vitamin C all year long :)

Sounds nice.  Any pictures?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 01:15:27 PM »
Completed, ... that's what you think.
Your eye would catch a story or report on another variety and you will find space for one more :)

Congratulations on getting to your set milestone.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
Here is my yard 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzWZv35jiA&t=21s

And here it is 2 days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2uh7juix4&t=115s

I have 3 other videos from the same day showing my Citrus collection , my pond and my Japanese Maple collection of 50 different varieties and bonsai

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 03:33:00 PM »
Ca Hockey I got my D'Arturo from a friend

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »
Nice garden and now i understand why you keep them in pots- you want to maintain them dwarf like keeping bonsai.
The garden looks real nice now, almost wild and verry beautifull and for sure you will have big satisfaction when you will pick the fruits.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 05:04:21 PM »
seawalnut its a modified version of Dave Wilson Nursery Backyard Orchard Culture philosophy.

https://www.davewilson.com/home-gardens/backyard-orchard-culture

It all started about 7 years ago when i had a lawn,  a Labrador retriever and gophers. The dog would dig up the yard and the darn gophers would eat all my tomato and pepper plants right before they would ripen so the only way I could work around this problem was to grow in containers so the gophers would not eat all my plants. So my yard has kind of evolved over the years into what you see today. I didn't really plan this design it just sort of evolved into its current state lol.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »
We have ground squirrels here but they are protected by law.They look similar to gophers and dig holes in the earth dam that keeps the Danube river from flooding.
Sometimes the dam breaks because of the holes and it floods manny villages and field for thousands of kilometers.
Even the field mice ( the hamsters) here are protected by law and France got a big ammend from the EU for not protecting them enough.
I know a man from a village that got sent to jail because he was caught digging field mice burrows to steal their rice and fed it to his farm animals.He had criminal record from before because of poaching fishing.

The orchard looks great and i think the pots work in your advantage.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »
wow seawalnut thats crazy that you cannot protect your land from the varmints that ruin your crops.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 06:47:52 PM »
wow seawalnut thats crazy that you cannot protect your land from the varmints that ruin your crops.
We copy Germany and California  :D.
And they are not soo big damaging varmints.Nobody complains abouth them here like ive read about gophers in USA.
The idea is to have foxes and eagles hunting them instead of poisoning the rodents.Soo far it works well and those dams colapsed even when they used to poison the ground squirrels.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 07:57:09 PM »
containerman  ---
Well done ! ! !
I keep track of food prices at my local Aldi and all prices are up. You will have to worry about this less than others.

So between my 10 Avocado Tree varieties, 17 citrus varieties , 9 stone fruit varieties, 12 blueberry varieties, 8 raspberry varieties, 3 red grape varieties, 8 strawberry varieties, 2 mulberry varieties I should be set on anti-oxidants, minerals, healthy fats and vitamin C all year long

Vitamin C is great anti-virus. One NYC Doc is feeding it intravenously into his corona virus patients. Short of this buy a liposomal C. At Amazon they have at least 10 brands where they used to have 3.
D is very good as in 5000 units that NOW Foods puts out and if you take D then you must take K2

Liposomal C is slow release. This solves the problem of excretion of C above a certain amount so that you are left with "very expensive urine". If you are worried about corona V then keep your C levels high all day.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
Zands,see my experience with coronavirus and what it helped me to beat it in just 24 hours and what i think it helped me( bee pollen and a xilometazoline nose spray).
Off course im 36 years old and healthy,fit ,thogh im also a smoker.
I posted my experience almost live on this forum only probably because i have too much time staying at home and i also wanted to help fellow fruit tree collectors.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=37594.0

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »
containerman  ---
Well done ! ! !
I keep track of food prices at my local Aldi and all prices are up. You will have to worry about this less than others.

So between my 10 Avocado Tree varieties, 17 citrus varieties , 9 stone fruit varieties, 12 blueberry varieties, 8 raspberry varieties, 3 red grape varieties, 8 strawberry varieties, 2 mulberry varieties I should be set on anti-oxidants, minerals, healthy fats and vitamin C all year long

Vitamin C is great anti-virus. One NYC Doc is feeding it intravenously into his corona virus patients. Short of this buy a liposomal C. At Amazon they have at least 10 brands where they used to have 3.
D is very good as in 5000 units that NOW Foods puts out and if you take D then you must take K2

Liposomal C is slow release. This solves the problem of excretion of C above a certain amount so that you are left with "very expensive urine". If you are worried about corona V then keep your C levels high all day.

We eat many oranges and avocados a day.  And spend a lot of time in the sun working hard every day.  Seems good enough for me.  Don't need pills when you have the real stuff.
Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 11:37:56 PM »
containerman  ---
Well done ! ! !

We eat many oranges and avocados a day.  And spend a lot of time in the sun working hard every day.  Seems good enough for me.  Don't need pills when you have the real stuff.

Mr Spaugh aka "The man who never needs to go to a gym"  (For obvious reasons.)

You are doing it the best way.
You are in tip top shape and outside but for most Americans they should take D. Sunlight won't do it. And not even Florida sunlight

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 11:58:14 PM »
Right now i noticed the skin peels off from my back and im on 45N.I stayed a lot shirtless 10 days carying buckets of concrete to make stairs on a hill wich got me warmed.
I also got skin peel off my from my face because i welded a fence pole digger( i actually welded 2 but one didnt worked well).
Inside the greenhouse during the day in winter i always stay shirtless.I wonder if you could get tanned inside the greenhouse.Theoretically the UV is blocked so should be impossible but i have a feeling it still works.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 12:03:56 AM »
Zands,see my experience with coronavirus and what it helped me to beat it in just 24 hours and what i think it helped me( bee pollen and a xilometazoline nose spray).
Off course im 36 years old and healthy,fit ,thogh im also a smoker.
I posted my experience almost live on this forum only probably because i have too much time staying at home and i also wanted to help fellow fruit tree collectors.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=37594.0

You also said:
I know that for my age wasnt a big risk but i also seen the chinese doctor that discovered the coronavirus in China on ,CNN and the next day he died.That doctor was 2 years younger than me (34 years age) and had the best medical services there compared to me wich i only took pollen and a nose spray.

You can have someone who looks very healthy and runs 50 miles per week to stay in shape. The contradiction is they were born with a weak immune system so can die from Covid-19.  I am going to be cruel here.... 100 years ago this kind of person would have died in his/her first 6 months or first 6 years from infectious disease. Cemeteries were full of children's gravestones. But due to modern sanitation and modern medicine they got past this major hurdle that has plagued mankind for centuries. Then in this era could become a very fine athlete. But congenitally weak immune sys. is-was always their Achilles heel.

Reading at other forums, the best anti-covid right now is hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin + zinc and maybe Doxycycline being a better idea than azithromycin. Health workers should take a hydroxychloroquine pill each day after getting a heart evaluation.
Zinc is put on roofs to stop fungus and black mold. hydroxychloroquine carries zinc into the covid virus to kill it.

Chloroquine Is a Zinc Ionophore - PubMed Central (PMC)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182877
Oct 01, 2014 · Thus chloroquine is a zinc ionophore, a property that may contribute to chloroquine's anticancer activity. Introduction Chloroquine is an antimalarial drug …

https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/long-island-doctor-tries-new-hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19-patients/

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 12:24:47 AM »
Zands,ive heard first hand from a guy that his father was out of the respirator after taking hydroxychloroquine.
But i would not take it when i had corona .I did not take even Paracetamol or pain killers because i was affraid they would hide the simptoms and could probably confuse my immune system wich is allready confused by the virus because its new.
Meanwhile i learned a lot about corona and colds.It is just a regular cold,not a flu but because its new you get fever .
Kids when they get a cold for first time in their life they have fever .After that,as an adult it will never make fever from that virus again because the immune system recognise it and usually beats it in 24 hrs.
Bad news its the older you get,the less tolerant to fever you are thats why its soo deadly.

And the immune system if its too strong it will kill you .Take for instance Bear Grills,he eats apple bits from a bear poop,raw snakes and lizards,dead decaying animals.
He has a super strong immune system but when a bee stung him he almost died because his immune response was too strong.
Imunity must be ballanced i think and the bee pollen trained my imunity system probably before i got the corona.

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:43 AM »
Here is my yard 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzWZv35jiA&t=21s

And here it is 2 days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2uh7juix4&t=115s

I have 3 other videos from the same day showing my Citrus collection , my pond and my Japanese Maple collection of 50 different varieties and bonsai

Nice! I noticed that you partially buried the containers.  That is a very good trick.  I visited a Nursery in Garden Grove that specialized in Australian and Geffner Atemoya.  They also partially buried the high end trees.  These trees have large and numerous red and green Atemoya that are at leastt $1K a plant.  They also advice me to partially buried my plant to keep it small but productive for a small garden.

ElJefeLoco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
In my SoCal youth I saw many really big Fuerte trees.  It was the most popular avocado until Hass took top honors, but Fuerte was always my favorite.  I hope your tree has room to grow.  Bacon is a bland fruit--pretty but flavorless.  Modesto is a good fruit-growing area.  Best of luck!

What variety is good for down here in zone 10 then?  I'm wary because I bought a "Florida" avocado from the grocery store and it was nasty, watery, insipid.  Eugh!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 03:24:04 PM »
A forum member CTMiami has some interesting information on his web site at https://www.myavocadotrees.com/
He is often on amy you can find an old post of his if you want to reach out to him by PM.

I have decided to try Super Hass, Nishikawa, Oro Negro and Monroe, I rafted these on two seedlings I planted and on a third seedling that I rescued.  I also got from a forum member scions for Lam Hass which I grafted and wil try.  Some like Lula but it was a bust with me, seed way too large for the fruit and it was a scab magnet in my yard.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
Bacon isnt bland, people just pick them too early.  Its a really under rated avocado IMO.  Had to wait until February for them to be really good here so other places on the coast and north of hwre would need to wait really long.  Picking them in November and December is no good.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk