Author Topic: Jumbo Cantaloupe  (Read 7017 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Jumbo Cantaloupe
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:34:21 AM »
Feast you eyes on this rock melon/cantaloupe.Its aroma is filling the house and this type is noted fo their lovely taste.

The stall holder said the entire batch was between 10lbs and 20lbs.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Jumbo Cantaloupe
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:06:55 AM »
Cultivator Rusty's was surprisingly poor today and there were no fancy sugars and few rare fuits.The biggest rock melons were gone by 6.40am.There were no giant Inga edulis,tampoi or other species that would tickle my fancy.

Once the rain starts properly, greenslopes will be ripe fo plundering.Good pick up about the bean.No one else correctly identified it.It is hard to believe they were derived from an Italian gourd.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
NG bean is Lagenaria siceraria and its italian ancestor is about 1m long but the NG form can be 2m.I use it like giant luffa in soups,stir fries with pork and herbs and I also cook it down with tomatoes,onion and garlic with basil as a vegie slime.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »

The taste is just like a standard sweet cantaloupe/rock melon.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:42 AM »
Hi Mike,
 :o Now that's a huge cantaloupe with a nice flesh colour too 8) I prefer orange flesh than green. The only downside of cantaloupe being very high on water...ya peeeee alot ;D ;D ;D Though, very good to clean the system and excellent piece of fruit on a hot summer's day :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »
What variety I wonder?

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:03 PM »
Cantalopes on steroids!   
FloridaGreenMan

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
i tried them many times in Thailand but they are not sweet and not juicy so i don't care for them anymore.

In Holland we have Gallia melons that are much better, they are imported though.

The watermelons here are very sweet sometimes but they have seeds in the flesh.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
This one is sweet and juicy and not like some of the thai melons.It taste just like a nice cantaloupe and way better than honeydews in my opinion.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
Mike do you know why they taste so bad in Thailand? They get more then plenty sunshine here.

We eat the ones from Spain or Turkye in Europe and some are very nice. Watermelons in N-Europe taste like water, i never buy them.

I would like to grow a melon in my big flowerbed but only if i m sure it will be a sweet one and no bugs eat them before me.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:59:35 AM »
Mike do you know why they taste so bad in Thailand? They get more then plenty sunshine here.

We eat the ones from Spain or Turkye in Europe and some are very nice. Watermelons in N-Europe taste like water, i never buy them.

I would like to grow a melon in my big flowerbed but only if i m sure it will be a sweet one and no bugs eat them before me.

They probably don't have good canteloupe cultivars...just like the dragon fruit cultivars they plant in Thailand are also very bland.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »
Yes also dragonfruit is not something that i would buy here on the markets. How can a good dragonfruit taste then? Are they more sweet?

Or maybe they use so many (wrong) chemicals here that the taste goes bland? They buy japanese melons here for big money like 250 baht a piece that is about 8 us$ a piece.

The Royal project should get some good seeds, then the Thai can see that it is possible to grow good ones here.

If my australian passionfruits are really sweet then i will start finding good melons and dragonfruits and grow them in Thailand. I first have to see proof that it is really possible to grow good ones here. I cannot believe that it is never tried here before.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:30:24 AM by bangkok »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
Yes also dragonfruit is not something that i would buy here on the markets. How can a good dragonfruit taste then? Are they more sweet?

Or maybe they use so many (wrong) chemicals here that the taste goes bland? They buy japanese melons here for big money like 250 baht a piece that is about 8 us$ a piece.

The Royal project should get some good seeds, then the Thai can see that it is possible to grow good ones here.

If my australian passionfruits are really sweet then i will start finding good melons and dragonfruits and grow them in Thailand. I first have to see proof that it is really possible to grow good ones here. I cannot believe that it is never tried here before.

Believe it! Lots of things have not been tried in Thailand before. For example, why don't they have rollinas, mamey, jaboticaba, white sapote, and countless other good quality south american fruits that could be grown there? Same goes for most countries, there's lot of good plants still to be added. But Thailand seems to me especially closed minded about trying new cultivars and new species. They like to always plant the SOT, same old thing. Maybe India is even more close minded. They are just now starting to discover the rambutan, and have yet to add durians and mangosteens, all of which are Asian fruits, while their close neighbor to the south, Sri Lanka, has been growing them for many decades.
A good dragon fruit is not just sweeter it has a taste, hard to describe but it is a very refreshing and delightful fruit when it is good quality. Canteloupes there are lots and lots of excellent quality ones in USA. Growing conditions and use of chemical fertilizers ofcourse can affect the taste. But most important and crucial is to start with a good cultivar.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »

Believe it! Lots of things have not been tried in Thailand before. For example, why don't they have rollinas, mamey, jaboticaba, white sapote, and countless other good quality south american fruits that could be grown there? Same goes for most countries, there's lot of good plants still to be added. But Thailand seems to me especially closed minded about trying new cultivars and new species. They like to always plant the SOT, same old thing. Maybe India is even more close minded. They are just now starting to discover the rambutan, and have yet to add durians and mangosteens, all of which are Asian fruits, while their close neighbor to the south, Sri Lanka, has been growing them for many decades.
A good dragon fruit is not just sweeter it has a taste, hard to describe but it is a very refreshing and delightful fruit when it is good quality. Canteloupes there are lots and lots of excellent quality ones in USA. Growing conditions and use of chemical fertilizers ofcourse can affect the taste. But most important and crucial is to start with a good cultivar.
I have no idea why they don't have those fruits but somebody must have tried to grow them i guess. Maybe some pest killed the crop or the soil, climate, water, light was the problem. Maybe those fruits are sacred in the Thai religion or look like something that they don't wanna eat.  Maybe those expensive melons in the shops are just grown in Thailand but the grower likes to tell they are imported to get a higher price, everything is possible here.

Asian people are not very inventive or open to new things. What they are good in is copy things that somebody else started. They are also good in protecting their business. An avocado still costs 60 baht (2us$) and if i read your story that they are so cheap in Myanmar then something strange is going on. Maybe the shops make more profit by importing them from Australia so that is what they will keep on doing then.

Well if you ever come back to Thailand then please bring me the good seeds, i will pay for that.

I would like to have a good tasting dragonfruit and grow it in my garden, the problem is where to get the plant.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
Bangkok, for Dragonfruit Matt's landscapes in california and Pine Island Nursery in florida have great ranges.The whites in thailand are picked too young and taste a bit better if left longer but still not as good as viet ones.I have about a dozen of so of the best at almost 1 year old with columbian self fertile red the first to flower.
Sometimes people never get around to doing things.Why have sour instead of sweet passionfruit or flavorless melons instead of rich sweet ones?No one has bothered and people take comfort in mangoes,pineapple and durian.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »
Bangkok, for Dragonfruit Matt's landscapes in california and Pine Island Nursery in florida have great ranges.The whites in thailand are picked too young and taste a bit better if left longer but still not as good as viet ones.I have about a dozen of so of the best at almost 1 year old with columbian self fertile red the first to flower.
Sometimes people never get around to doing things.Why have sour instead of sweet passionfruit or flavorless melons instead of rich sweet ones?No one has bothered and people take comfort in mangoes,pineapple and durian.

Yes i guess you are right Mike, add to that that the Thai are not the most energetic people on the world. Did you grow some better species in your family's garden in Thailand? My mother in law was here this weekend but was not very interested in the sweet passionfruits. I gave her a multigrafted mangotree with 5 red species on it and she did get excited about that. She had never seen grafted branches before though and grows fruits all her life.

Well i will try to get the seeds or plants here from the better species dragonfruit, for melons i dont have enough space and i dont even know in which part of Thailand they grow them. I m sure people here believe me much easyier if i let them eat sweet passionfruits homegrown. I will spread the plants out that you gave me, many of them are sprouting now but the biggest ones sprouted in your plastic ziplockbags so i allready planted them in a big pot.

Maybe i will even go to vietnam to find dragonfruit, i still want to go there one day but not this year.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »
MASTER ปลูกปัญญา เทป 1 เมลอนญี่ปุ่น แก้ไขคำผิดแล้ว

See they grow the "japanese" melons in Thailand but they don't mention that (to get a higher price and status).

These things cost about the same as a labourer earns in 1 day, but they are nice i admit that.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
Mike, thats a not a real cantaloupe.
Cantaloupes dont have the netting on the skin,they have smooth skin and powderry texture identical to the banana texture.
You got there a hibrid that looks a lot more inferior than a cantaloupe.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 11:25:42 PM »
You are strange, Mr. SeaWalnut.
John

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 12:29:45 AM »
This site is about fruit not to make personal attacks wich you can send me in PM not posting them here like a coward.
So GTFO troll!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 06:54:51 AM »
This site is about fruit not to make personal attacks wich you can send me in PM not posting them here like a coward.
So GTFO troll!

Right back at ya you cracked nut.  Its enough of your crap, find another site to pollute.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 10:07:00 AM »
 :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:03:06 PM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
Mike, thats a not a real cantaloupe.
Cantaloupes dont have the netting on the skin,they have smooth skin and powderry texture identical to the banana texture.
You got there a hibrid that looks a lot more inferior than a cantaloupe.

I think there might be some confusion on what is referred to as "cantaloupe" nowadays.
A European Cantaloupe is what you are describing.

Below is an excerpt from Wikipedia

"Originally, cantaloupe referred only to the non-netted, orange-fleshed melons of Europe, but today may refer to any orange-fleshed melon of the C. melo species."

On this side of the pond at least, I've only ever seen the netted ones

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »
Great to see there is still passion about melons. Common names are fluid and only half of Australia uses the name cantaloupe with the rest saying rock melon for the same fruit. They are essentially a musk melon whether netted or not and it obviously doesn't conform with the European classification. It is not something worth getting hot blooded about. What is known as paw paw, custard apple, and granadilla here are different fruit from what other countries recognise by these names.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 09:53:06 PM »
Only in Victoria do they call it cantaloupe because, well, they have always been Australia's snobs. Well, maybe they use the term in Tasmania too, because when cousins marry they can't elope.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida