Author Topic: Very bendy branches on Mango trees North California  (Read 1747 times)

halcyonzero

• San Jose, Ca
    • View Profile
Very bendy branches on Mango trees North California
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
Hello all,

I have some mango trees that I put in the ground here in northern California.

The branches are very very bendy.  TZhe branches are about the dia of a Sharpie marker but very bendy.  They all droop and the wood is very flexible almost like rubber.

Other than that, they seem ok.

Does anyone have any ideas why the branches are "bendy"

Cheers!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Very bendy branches on Mango trees North California
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
Were they ordered from florida?
Brad Spaugh

halcyonzero

• San Jose, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 04:01:29 PM »
Yep.  all the trees came from Florida.

I put them in the ground last year and the branches were always alittle bendy, but they seem worse now.

Maybe a deficiency in something or too much water/too little?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »
Bendy is better than snappy.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »
Yep.  all the trees came from Florida.

I put them in the ground last year and the branches were always alittle bendy, but they seem worse now.

Maybe a deficiency in something or too much water/too little?

I had a soursop with this issue. It would bend like a piece of rubber, otherwise it looked great. Don’t know what changed but it’s normal now.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

halcyonzero

• San Jose, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »
I agree bendy is better than snappy, but the tree is looking more like a vine than a tree! 

Can't even support the weight of the leaves.

Just trying to figure out if it is lacking something or getting too much of something.

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
I'm also new to mangoes, but from what I hear, that's a common problem here in CA.  We get a lot of drooping, and I was told to stake the branches up until they grow stronger.  Also, cut 50-80% of the flowers off when they're young to reduce the fruit set (if you want fruit) or even the weight of the flowers.

If anyone knows what causes this, exactly, I'd love to know as well!

--Jake
--Jake

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 11:02:21 PM »
There are plenty of threads with more info on this issue.
The general consensus seems to be that the turpentine rootstock commonly used down here seems to cause this in CA.
Manila rootstock works good out in CA from what I understand

halcyonzero

• San Jose, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 09:36:06 AM »
Hm....Can anyone hazard a guess as to why one root stock would cuase bendy branches vs another?

Is it a soil deficiency or something like that?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »
I don’t know exactly what causes the extreme droopiness but the Florida Turpentine rootstock seems to exacerbate the issue. I hypothesize that the relatively fewer heat units and fewer daily light integral that we get compared to Southern Florida slows down the lignification of new wood.

Here in SoCal, we really only get about a 5 month growing season that in reality narrows down to 3 months of actual vigorous growth around June through August. Growth will occur before and after these three months but in our climate, you should time the last vegetative growth to harden before winter. You also want to wind down the total PPMs of residual fertilizer in the soil or pots so that you don’t get wayward blooms or vegetative growths out of season as the new growth is soft an highly susceptible to fungal and cold damage and can be an entry way into the rest of the plant.

If your mango tree becomes droopy, You Must Stake Up the Branches! Stake them up as soon as they are even a bit droopy because these will likely be your secondary or tertiary branching for future fruiting wood. The branches often get droopy after several aggressive vegetative flushes and almost always get droopy in winter due to the weight of the flower panicles. In either case, stake them up to how you want your branching structure when it becomes lignified.

In Winter when the droopiness is caused by the bloom panicle, remove about 2/3 of the bloom AFTER the blooms have fully formed unless under specific circumstances such as thinner wood that would otherwise snap if not removed earlier.

The reason you want to wait for full bloom formation prior to removal of 2/3 of bloom is because if you remove it too early, your tree will re bloom. Allow any fruit that sets to continue to expand and remove the blooms/fruit around this time of year or when average nightly lows are approximately 60F and above. In literature, it states an average of 62 but I find that averages of 60+ is usually sufficient to induce vegetative growth.

Addition of Silica May increase branch rigidity but allowing the branches to blow in the wind is also beneficial. I stated earlier to stake the branches as soon as you see it get droopy because I often forget to stake it up later. If you have a calendar or have good memory, you can allow your droopy branches to drool a bit and allow it to sway around in the wind to get the branching stronger and then you can stake it up at a later time but definitely before full hardening of the Branch.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »
Im going to suggest chopping down droopy trees and replacing them with seedling trees.  Thats what Ive been doing.  These imported grafted trees are awaste of time and money.  Yeah a few of them have decent growth habit but the majority of them look sickly, weak, droopy...  I will never buy another grafted mango tree again ever.  From FL ir CA, makes no difference, they are all a waste of time and money.  My seesling trees look night and day better.   
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 08:04:51 PM »
Hello all,

I have some mango trees that I put in the ground here in northern California.

The branches are very very bendy.  TZhe branches are about the dia of a Sharpie marker but very bendy.  They all droop and the wood is very flexible almost like rubber.

Other than that, they seem ok.

Does anyone have any ideas why the branches are "bendy"

Cheers!

I forgot to welcome you to the forum so welcome! This thread may help you get started with growing Mangos in SoCal but as Brad(Spaugh) suggested, starting with seedlings is the best way to start.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23124.0

I need to start a new topic on how to grow Mangos in SoCal as some more data has been collected and the old thread is too lengthy.

Simon

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 02:01:57 AM »
Thanks Simon for all the informative posts. I am glad I read all your posts and did not buy any mango trees from FL. I instead bought few Manila (5 gallons $25 to $27 each). Let these grow a few years and before grafting.

halcyonzero

• San Jose, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »
Hello Simon and Spaugh.

Thanks for all the wonderful information and tips!

I'll stake up and see what happens.

I'll also look to find some seedlings as well.

Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk