Author Topic: Greenhouse Questions for South Florida  (Read 485 times)

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Greenhouse Questions for South Florida
« on: April 12, 2024, 10:04:27 AM »
I am looking into a small to medium greenhouse for my most cold sensitive species, will have electric heat, and don't want to go the route of a hoop house or plastic film. I want to do all metal frame with polycarbonate panels. Most greenhouses I see on a commercial basis in this area use hoop houses with plastic film, I assume because it's cheap. I wanted something that looks nicer, would stand up to 100 mph winds, and could go 10+ years without replacing the siding/panels. I was thinking of getting steel frame only metal building kit with 14ft ceilings and finding brackets for the polycarbonate panels. I want to be able to somewhat easily remove the bottom panels for summer months. I just think the steel frame only building kit would be sturdier, cheaper, more options than a greenhouse kit option.

Just looking for some feedback on this idea, or if I'm way off base.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse Questions for South Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 11:15:03 AM »
That's a big ask. In a hurricane you'd better remove all the panels. If you remove the side panels, leaving the top panels in a hurricane it will need to be built like a tank. That top will be like a plane wing ready for takeoff.

The poly covered option will be way cheaper and way easier to remove the covering in summer.

I love the Solarig and Palring materials. They last 10 years plus in our intense sun and in place all year long.

https://www.robertmarvel.com/greenhouse-covers

In place over winter in FL they'd last a long time if well cared for. That is protect from sun damage on or off. Only one side is UV protected on poly or panels. They all need proper care.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:18:02 AM by fruitnut1944 »

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Greenhouse Questions for South Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 02:32:52 PM »
Can buy a steel frame from for example Farmtek and add brackets for poly panels to be sliding them in and out whenever needed. Here in Costa Rica everything is welded, so adding brackets is quite cheap and easy. In Florida everyone uses screws, myself included, but I have never built a greenhouse, only a couple of shadehouses. They stood up to the winds last several years but we haven't had any strong hurricanes since Irma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk