Author Topic: Help to identify bananas  (Read 1161 times)

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
Help to identify bananas
« on: June 13, 2020, 05:12:17 PM »
These are my neighbor’s banana trees. I had the fruit for the first time and they were really good, so I’d love to identify and plant my own. Someone gave them to her a few years ago, so she’s no help.

The fruit shown are ripe; the brown exterior did not match the interior, which was without blemish or dark spots. They are short, but not finger size, very sweet and rich. Anyone? TIA!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:10:11 AM by canesgirl821 »

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify bananas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 07:11:12 AM »
^^^

Anyone???

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 09:29:05 AM »
Sadly, 90% of bananas look alike.  Your best bet is to collect a pup from this plant, if you like the fruit, and grow and enjoy your own.

Carolyn

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »
Sadly, 90% of bananas look alike.  Your best bet is to collect a pup from this plant, if you like the fruit, and grow and enjoy your own.

Carolyn

Thanks for your input. I know there’s little chance of IDing this way, guess it was wishful thinking!

I’d love to steal a pup from her, oddly it isn’t giving many off, despite being in the ground for about 5 years.
She also insists the one stalk continues to produce fruit every six months or so. Another oddity, but I suspect that may be the mimosas talking (she doesn’t care to know anything about growing fruit).

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

Carolyn

Thanks for your input. I know there’s little chance of IDing this way, guess it was wishful thinking!

I’d love to steal a pup from her, oddly it isn’t giving many off, despite being in the ground for about 5 years.
She also insists the one stalk continues to produce fruit every six months or so. Another oddity, but I suspect that may be the mimosas talking (she doesn’t care to know anything about growing fruit).

The banana tree should produce a lot of pups so she technically should have enough to give away and once a banana fruits the stalk it is on dies. ??? lol

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:41:39 AM »

Hi Canesgirl,

If your neighbor lady doesn't care about growing this banana and it's not producing pups, maybe you could convince her to allow you to dump some fertilizer on it every so often.  Bananas are really heavy feeders, we know, but that extra food dumped around the plant ought to encourage some extra new suckers to poke up out of the ground at which point she might let you harvest one for yourself.

¡Solamente mis dos granitos de arena!

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 07:04:39 AM »

Hi Canesgirl,

If your neighbor lady doesn't care about growing this banana and it's not producing pups, maybe you could convince her to allow you to dump some fertilizer on it every so often.  Bananas are really heavy feeders, we know, but that extra food dumped around the plant ought to encourage some extra new suckers to poke up out of the ground at which point she might let you harvest one for yourself.

¡Solamente mis dos granitos de arena!

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Muchas gracias por sus dos granitos. Muy bien idea, la verdad que no lo había pensado.

Thanks so much for your idea, it’s a great one that I hadn’t thought about. I’m sure she would be amenable to that, I will implement it today.  :)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 03:00:26 PM »
I vote for dwarf cavendish

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
I vote for dwarf cavendish

Thanks for your input.  I already have one of those recently planted, hope you’re right!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk