Author Topic: Tropical Fruit Literature?  (Read 1767 times)

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
Tropical Fruit Literature?
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
This is my first post here, so please bare with me. I know there’s a separate part of this site more dedicated to literature, the library seems like less of a place for discussion and questions. So I was hoping some of you guys could help me out.

So I’ve recently been reading The Fruit Hunters by Adam Gollner, and actually like it quite a bit. I like the mix of informational aspects and cultural as well, specifically the way fruit has impacted different ancient and modern cultures throughout the world. I was wondering if any of you know of any good, similar books that fit that same bill.

Thanks for the help!

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Fruit Literature?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:45:13 PM »
The Fruit Hunters is a great book, I don’t know any other that is similar. The $64 Tomato is a great book, but not really about tropical fruit, but about growing, well, tomatoes. It’s more of a personal story/memoir, but is funny and relatable if you grow anything.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
Hi JBJ and welcome to TFF!

I recently read and enjoyed "The Fruit Hunters" so if you liked that you prolly would also enjoy:

"Fruits of Eden: David Fairchild and America's Plant Hunters" by Amanda Harris; pub. 2015.

I've seen copies both on Amazon and on ABE Books.  It's probably on eBay from time to time, too.  Best to shop around for the best price.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:17 AM »
The Fruit Hunters is a great book, I don’t know any other that is similar. The $64 Tomato is a great book, but not really about tropical fruit, but about growing, well, tomatoes. It’s more of a personal story/memoir, but is funny and relatable if you grow anything.
I’m looking for anything so that could be really interesting. Thanks!

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:59:24 AM »
Hi JBJ and welcome to TFF!

I recently read and enjoyed "The Fruit Hunters" so if you liked that you prolly would also enjoy:

"Fruits of Eden: David Fairchild and America's Plant Hunters" by Amanda Harris; pub. 2015.

I've seen copies both on Amazon and on ABE Books.  It's probably on eBay from time to time, too.  Best to shop around for the best price.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

I was looking and saw a few copies, so I’ll probably order. I prefer actual books so I’ll be excited for it to get to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:24:10 AM »
I haven’t had a chance to read it yet myself but try looking for bill Whitman’s book. I think it is called five decades with fruit or something along those lines. Guy was a pioneer

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
I haven’t had a chance to read it yet myself but try looking for bill Whitman’s book. I think it is called five decades with fruit or something along those lines. Guy was a pioneer

Hi again JBJ,

Mike's suggestion for the Whitman book is a good one.  I recently got a copy and have only skimmed thru it but it is crammed with interesting fruit history.

It is now quite pricey since it is OOP but be patient because every so often a less inexpenvive copy will show up and that's the time to nab one.  It's a big, heavy book.  The complete title is:

"Five Decades With Tropical Fruit, A Personal Journey" by William F. Whitman; pub. Coral Gables, FL, 2001.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »

Hi again JBJ,

Mike's suggestion for the Whitman book is a good one.  I recently got a copy and have only skimmed thru it but it is crammed with interesting fruit history.

It is now quite pricey since it is OOP but be patient because every so often a less inexpenvive copy will show up and that's the time to nab one.  It's a big, heavy book.  The complete title is:

"Five Decades With Tropical Fruit, A Personal Journey" by William F. Whitman; pub. Coral Gables, FL, 2001.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

I checked and looks like right now they are going for around $100. So I could either wait like you say or maybe pick it up if my pockets end up burning. Seems like a novelty worth the price, not only to read but also have, so I will probably get it at some point. Thank you!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 08:10:53 PM »
Bush Tucker Man,Field guide.
But be aware that in Australia the fruits taste usually bad or not necesarrely bad ,but not apealing to primates like us, because there were no primates there to assist the evolution.
None the less,there are valuable fruits in Australia and the author itself has discovered a fruit that has the biggest vitamin C content in the world ,ammong all the fruits.
He also has documentaryes( films) about survival  where he presents somme of the fruits and plants he documented.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:17:29 PM by SeaWalnut »

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
But be aware that in Australia the fruits taste usually bad or not necesarrely bad ,but not apealing to primates like us, because there were no primates there to assist the evolution.
None the less,there are valuable fruits in Australia and the author itself has discovered a fruit that has the biggest vitamin C content in the world ,ammong all the fruits.
He also has documentaryes( films) about survival  where he presents somme of the fruits and plants he documented.

That’s really interesting about the fruits not ever needing to “taste good” there. I don’t think I’ve ever even considered the fruit or botany of Australia, so I’ll add it to my list. Thank you!

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 09:29:33 PM »
I checked and looks like right now they are going for around $100. So I could either wait like you say or maybe pick it up if my pockets end up burning. Seems like a novelty worth the price, not only to read but also have, so I will probably get it at some point. Thank you!

Well JBJ, this book is definitely not a novelty.  It's crammed full of narratives about the discovery of and introduction to Florida of many tropical fruit.

It also contains the minutes of the Rare Fruit Council meetings for several decades.

In those minutes one can find notations on when certain fruits were first brought to Florida and the efforts to grow and succeed wth them. These same minutes document the source for certain cultivars of different types of fruit, some of which were exemplary-tasting and became all-the-rage, but which over the years fell from favor and which may only today be being rediscovered and becoming popular again.

I wouldn't undrrate this particular book.

¡Solamente mis dos granitos de arena!

Paul
==

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »

That’s really interesting about the fruits not ever needing to “taste good” there. I don’t think I’ve ever even considered the fruit or botany of Australia, so I’ll add it to my list. Thank you!
It is an expensive book ,i realised.
I didnt read it but its on my list.
What you can do in case you dont buy this book,is that you can watch his documentaryes for free on Youtube .They are gems,you will see ,if you do.
This is fruit hunting of rare ,mostly unknown fruit that australian aboriginals eat.
https://youtu.be/LRcn_uj0ySw

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 11:13:55 PM »

Well JBJ, this book is definitely not a novelty.  It's crammed full of narratives about the discovery of and introduction to Florida of many tropical fruit.

It also contains the minutes of the Rare Fruit Council meetings for several decades.

In those minutes one can find notations on when certain fruits were first brought to Florida and the efforts to grow and succeed wth them. These same minutes document the source for certain cultivars of different types of fruit, some of which were exemplary-tasting and became all-the-rage, but which over the years fell from favor and which may only today be being rediscovered and becoming popular again.

I wouldn't undrrate this particular book.

¡Solamente mis dos granitos de arena!

Paul
==

I definitely meant that in no negative way. It just seems like a rare and valuable book, and I mean that in more of the fact that it would just be cool to Have, even after a first read through, both as reference and display if that makes sense. I always seek things that have a displayability aspect to them. Something to be proud to own.

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 11:47:01 PM »

It is an expensive book ,i realised.
I didnt read it but its on my list.
What you can do in case you dont buy this book,is that you can watch his documentaryes for free on Youtube .They are gems,you will see ,if you do.
This is fruit hunting of rare ,mostly unknown fruit that australian aboriginals eat.
https://youtu.be/LRcn_uj0ySw

That’s a great resource.  Thank you!

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »
I definitely meant that in no negative way. It just seems like a rare and valuable book, and I mean that in more of the fact that it would just be cool to Have, even after a first read through, both as reference and display if that makes sense. I always seek things that have a displayability aspect to them. Something to be proud to own.

I didn't perceive your reply as negative, not to worry.

Don't know how 'rare or valuable' it is but it's a pretty thoroughly documented history covering many tropical fruits and their introduction from the tropics into the US, and particularly to Florida.

I suggested that you be patient cuz I've seen it pop up on eBay from time to time for much lower prices.  I got a very good copy on there about six months ago for about $35.00 + $8 S&H!  So if you can wait you'll find one at an attractive price.

And it is worth more than a single read-thru.  It is an historic document with a lot of stuff to absorb.  In fact I doubt you could or would want to read it straight thru.  I know I couldn't.  But there's lots of unexpected stuff in this book.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:03:08 AM by Epicatt2 »