Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 24040 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
I agree, grow bags dry too quickly.

To rehydrate any pots that get too dry, you want to put them in a water tray with an inch of water and let it soak up from the bottom while watering from the top also.  Drain the traiy and keep repeating until its wet again.  Sometimes you think its getting water but only the top half an inch is wet because its so hydrophobic.  Peat is the worst for that. 
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2022, 04:16:22 PM »
You could slip a plastic bag arpund the whole thing and then fill it up with water until the soil gets saturated again. Just be sure not to leave it that way too long or you will probably cause root rot. Of course, if this is an ongoing problem, you may want to re-pot any way.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
Thank you all three.  I will first try re-wetting the medium, it'll take a while since I have a dozen plants.  I did it all this way because it's what I had on hand at the time and this brand bag look nice on my patio, and the peat mix was all left over from my tomatoes.

These bags are super high quality, which makes the error a bummer, doesn't work in my situation.  I wonder if using coconut coir would've been better than peat moss base.. other than the hassle of checking salt content and then determining whether to rinse, from what I've read coconut coir absorbs water and is not hydrophobic like dry peat.

If re-wetting turns out to be problematic, I'll repot.. maybe wait for winter when they slow down,

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
coco does suck up water really easy.  i wouldnt worry about the salts for a pineapple plant.  you can use pretty much anything for pineapple plants.  you really want it to drain well which coco doesnt do but a little wont hurt. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2022, 11:13:16 AM »
Okay, thanks.  It wouldn't be straight coco coir, mixed with perlite and bark, which I think helps drain better (something like gardener's ground cover bark, or orchid fine bark, or kellogg garden soil / recycled forest products, whichever is on sale).

pdemars84

• Coral Springs
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »
I have a few pups that I can't plant due to surgery. I picked them on Monday 7/25 then had a surgical procedure on 7/26 that prevents me from potting them for at least a week or more.  Didn't know i would be out of commission. What is the longest time frame I can go before they die? It may be 10 to 14 days before I can pot them up.   

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »
Okay, thanks.  It wouldn't be straight coco coir, mixed with perlite and bark, which I think helps drain better (something like gardener's ground cover bark, or orchid fine bark, or kellogg garden soil / recycled forest products, whichever is on sale).

Coco coir is not soil, it's a medium. It is problematic especially for calcium and magnesium as it doesn't hold these very well. I recommend against coir personally unless you are religious about, and understand, either top dressed amendments or liquid nutrients.

I would just re-pot your plants into fresh potting soil in plastic pots and call it a day - don't forget to keep on top of watering them.

Pineapples are not a permanent fixture in the pot like a tree or something. 2-3 years from now, probably in the compost heap after getting your pineapple.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »
Coco coir is not soil, it's a medium. It is problematic especially for calcium and magnesium as it doesn't hold these very well.
I wasn't aware it can't hold certain nutrients well, that could be an explanation for some issues I had a couple years ago!  Thanks for that :)
Spaugh and other state pineapples will grow in just about anything.. and I do believe them.  For the record, I'm not trying to find the best possible mix, medium, soil, whatever, just figuring stuff out and learning along the way.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »
I have a few pups that I can't plant due to surgery. I picked them on Monday 7/25 then had a surgical procedure on 7/26 that prevents me from potting them for at least a week or more.  Didn't know i would be out of commission. What is the longest time frame I can go before they die? It may be 10 to 14 days before I can pot them up.

Pups meaning no roots? 2-3 weeks should be fine as long as they aren't sitting in the sun. You can start them in water, too, keep the water level just below the plant.
- Val

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2023, 11:30:58 PM »

How much longer should I wait? Till full ripe? I’m worried about rodents getting to it.

Bought this as a slip from Spaugh some years ago, didn’t label it.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2023, 12:32:16 AM »
Wait till the whole thing turns yellow, but don’t let it go past it’s peak. If you’ve never had homegrown you’re in for a real treat...
Nate

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2023, 07:29:52 AM »

Pups meaning no roots? 2-3 weeks should be fine as long as they aren't sitting in the sun. You can start them in water, too, keep the water level just below the plant.
They can even go longer then 3 weeks.  I have had some get lost under some covering discovered well over a month later, planted and came back.  I had not expected them to and had planed several in a single pot, now I have to separate them.  Poor things, all that stress.
The key was they were covered and out of the sun.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2023, 12:26:35 PM »
Kevin it needs to be yellow.  That will not be sweet yet.

I took this picture a few weeks ago to post here and forgot about it.  This is a 15 or 20gal pot with 3 plants in it.  It worked out great, less space taken and all of them ripened at the same time.

It takes 2 years to grow these then I bring them inside and leave them on the cou ter and my family eats it all in 10 minutes. 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:28:13 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »
Interesting work going on in costa rica. Had to get permission to share these.

16 brix, great flavor.  Non genetically modified: from breeding Brazilian cultivars.

According to the breeder, still a few years out.  Red flesh w/red skin?

Exciting work.

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2023, 08:06:59 PM »
I’m looking to visit Okinawa this summer.  I hope to find some specimens of their famous ‘Peach’ or ‘soft touch’ pineapple…and the super desirable ‘gold barrel.’  Okinawa has about 5 distinct cultivars they are growing.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2023, 10:52:42 AM »
Fertilization how frequent and what type do you use do you use with a pineapple in a 7 gallon Nursery pot. I have some Miracle-Gro bloom for my plumeris. Recently I've taken an interest in growing pineapples since I like to grow most of my friends are like-minded and since I let them know that I want to grow pineapples they've been giving me quite a few I have approximately 20 now. Dm2 Sugarloaf Natal. Since I'm new at this I have no idea how needy pineapples are

« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 11:27:27 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2023, 12:06:44 PM »
Mother-in-law wants me to build a cage or pen to put the pineapples in when they're getting close to ripening. Her friend just lost a very large pineapple to raccoons😡

Someone just sent me this don't know if it's useful or helpful but they say they use this on their pineapples

« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:53:44 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2023, 03:05:54 PM »
Kevin it needs to be yellow.  That will not be sweet yet.

I took this picture a few weeks ago to post here and forgot about it.  This is a 15 or 20gal pot with 3 plants in it.  It worked out great, less space taken and all of them ripened at the same time.

It takes 2 years to grow these then I bring them inside and leave them on the cou ter and my family eats it all in 10 minutes. 

Im in similar climate as you. Do you have to put these in a greenhouse during winter or can you grow them outside year around?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2023, 05:34:26 PM »
Greenhouse, they need tomstay dry when it is cold.  Pineapples love greenhouses.
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2023, 09:21:17 PM »
Fertilization how frequent and what type do you use do you use with a pineapple in a 7 gallon Nursery pot. I have some Miracle-Gro bloom for my plumeris. Recently I've taken an interest in growing pineapples since I like to grow most of my friends are like-minded and since I let them know that I want to grow pineapples they've been giving me quite a few I have approximately 20 now. Dm2 Sugarloaf Natal. Since I'm new at this I have no idea how needy pineapples are

Pineapple fruit size will directly correlate to plant size. You can't get a 5 lb pineapple off a 12" plant. My old "Florida Fruit" book recommends pouring 1 cup of liquid fertilizer solution (mixed with water according to the instructions on the bag) in the bud each month with 3 Tblsp. of granular in April, August, and December. I found the granular to be a pain because its hard not to get it in the crown because pineapple leaves are designed to funnel everything that direction. Even if just a tiny amount gets in there it burns the leaves pretty badly. I would just go with the liquid. My Dad used 20-20-20 and picked 1 pineapple that weighed 11 pounds--not bad for a grocery store twist top! I used 24-8-16 with good results and picked almost 40 grocery size pineapples one year. About the time I was getting cocky the coons found me. The next year they picked 50 of my 55 pineapples for me and last year I got 2 (both of which had to be caged. Some nights they would eat 5 whole pineapples! Until I get an electric fence put up the pineapples are on starvation rations.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2023, 09:27:24 PM »
Greenhouse, they need tomstay dry when it is cold.  Pineapples love greenhouses.

The good news in Central Florida is that it is dry when we get cold. I have actually seen pineapples growing wild here under oak canopy (which protects them just enough from the frost) on numerous occasions. We can grow pineapples like y'all can grow stone fruit. Well, almost...  :P  ;D

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2023, 05:16:15 PM »

Landed my first one but unfortunately had ants tunneling in it. Hope some of it is salvageable.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »
Kevin, ants are protein  :) Brad, great advice on starting pineapples from pups I have always striped off outer leaves when starting new little pups. 8)

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2023, 11:04:07 PM »
On fertilizer - whats been working very well for my plants is Jack’s citrus feed. Started by using it on a few select plants and it has out performed others, both soil and foliar. Very effective at getting anemic plants from yellow back to green - and with good drainage, healthier root stock.

First MD1 fruit - nice brown color. Lighter flesh than MD2.  A keeper cultivar.

https://www.amazon.com/Peters-52524-Classic-20-10-20-Fertilizer/dp/B00FSI2J30/ref=asc_df_B00FSI2J30/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193139379506&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7371340409544577835&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011841&hvtargid=pla-307722525555&psc=1

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2023, 06:35:45 AM »

Pineapple fruit size will directly correlate to plant size. You can't get a 5 lb pineapple off a 12" plant. My old "Florida Fruit" book recommends pouring 1 cup of liquid fertilizer solution (mixed with water according to the instructions on the bag) in the bud each month with 3 Tblsp. of granular in April, August, and December. I found the granular to be a pain because its hard not to get it in the crown because pineapple leaves are designed to funnel everything that direction. Even if just a tiny amount gets in there it burns the leaves pretty badly. I would just go with the liquid. My Dad used 20-20-20 and picked 1 pineapple that weighed 11 pounds--not bad for a grocery store twist top! I used 24-8-16 with good results and picked almost 40 grocery size pineapples one year. About the time I was getting cocky the coons found me. The next year they picked 50 of my 55 pineapples for me and last year I got 2 (both of which had to be caged. Some nights they would eat 5 whole pineapples! Until I get an electric fence put up the pineapples are on starvation rations.

Since I have 3/4 in PVC and some chicken wire. I was thinking of building something similar to these crab traps to cover pineapples. When Ricky raccoon who likes to Howl at the Moon and eat pineapples till daylight
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 06:38:03 AM by bovine421 »