Author Topic: Huge Loquat Leaves  (Read 2459 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Huge Loquat Leaves
« on: October 09, 2020, 12:11:46 AM »
Interesting growth. Has anyone seen big/large loquat leaves on seedling plants or any varieties bigger than this one?

I have many varieties and many large seedling loquat trees but this one seems to have giant leaves. It is even larger than the Peluche loquat leaves.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Loquat Leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
Is the seedling under some other trees and looking for Sun?
I would be tempted to let that one grow
Do you recall what type produced the seed?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
Yes, the pot was under the shade of my large lychee and loquat trees.

The seedling tree is from my fruiting seedling trees which has good fruits. Don't remember which one, I have 12 seedling trees which fruits.
Yes, I think I will let this one grow out and see how the fruits taste before I graft over it. But I have some many different varieties that I don't know if there will be a new one that tastes better.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:33:04 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 02:42:19 AM »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:46:20 AM »
I have a seedling like this as well, full sun. Almost foot long leaves. It is from that tree I still want to get you scions from, Kaz. Will try to find the house owners this spring. The fruit quality is VERY good so maybe this is a good sign for  that seedling.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 12:54:02 PM »
Sounds good. I replied to this so I could post an updated photo of this small tree since I put it in the ground.
Here's a few photo of the same tree in-ground. Now the largest leaf is about 20-1/2" long. This tree has much larger leaves and branches are longer than any of my other seedling trees. Hope the fruit is large.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 05:37:24 PM by sc4001992 »

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »
I have a loquat seedling with a 16" leaf. it was growing in the middle of nowhere, in very dry sand before I took it. i mostly thought it would be a good rootstock but now looking at the leaf size i wonder if the fruit will be large too and good!
Ana
Ana

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:48 PM »
I heard Peluche is a hybrid with Eriobotrya bengalensis. If it's an F1 hybrid, and Peluche gets its big leaves from bengalensis, some of the F2 generation should have bigger leaves than Peluche, closer to bengalensis. One possible explanation.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 11:52:04 PM »
I do have multiple Peluche grafts which fruited but I'm pretty sure this seedling was not one that was cross pollinated by the Peluche. I do have many seedlings (F2) of the Peluche growing now from last years fruits so it would be interesting to see how large it's leaves get. This large leaf plant has much larger/longer leaves than any of my Peluche grafted scions which are 2-3 yrs old. I have been growing many loquat seedlings for years, and have over 20 seedling trees that fruit now and this one was the first one where these elephant leaves got my attention after 1 to 1-1/2 yrs old from seed so I put in a pot to isolated this one plant and keep an eye on it.

On a side note, my small variegated loquat seedling plant lost its colors, now it's just a regular green leafed seedling. But good news for me is I found a variegated white sapote branch on one of my branches of the tree I was grafting last week (yuppie).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:57:14 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 12:03:59 AM »
Nate, don't know what an "Eriobotrya bengalensis" plant is, is it a larger leafed plant than a loquat?

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 12:23:48 PM »
Nate, don't know what an "Eriobotrya bengalensis" plant is, is it a larger leafed plant than a loquat?

I don't know much about E. bengalensis, just remember hearing that about Peluche once. It could be incorrect, but it would explain why Peluche is so different from other loquats. I'm guessing the leaves of bengalensis are larger, if it's true. I think the F2 variability would come out less if it were not self-pollinated, but still more than the F1? Eriobotrya japonica (loquat) can cross with bengalensis, so it's at least possible: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318055630_Identification_of_interspecific_hybrids_between_loquat_Eriobotrya_japonica_Lindl_and_Bengal_loquat_E_bengalensis_Hook

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 02:36:09 PM »
Nate, ok, got it. Thanks for this info, now I remember I was looking for the Bengal loquat but couldn't find anyone with it.
I might have had one a while back but it dried up and died in the pot since I didn't water it. I got it from the Greenscene sale years ago.

I may need to try searching again and maybe try that cross with some of my loquats that are good tasting. Just for info, I will try to take some comparison photo of this large leaf loquat with my Peluche leaves.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 01:56:06 AM »
Update on my tree. I accidentally broke the main branch on the loquat tree about 3 ft from the tip, so I had to do some first aid wrapping. Looks like it is healing so it is good.

This tree has the largest leaves of all my loquat varieties. It is much larger/bigger than the Peluche so I hope the fruit will be large as well.

So far of all the loquat fruits, the Exotica X-large variety (from Mark Lee) has the largest green fruits which are still growing bigger.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 12:51:51 PM »
Leo Manuel’s seedling loquat from seeds given to him by the great Maurice Kong had huge leaves. I didn’t take any pictures of the leaves but the seedling was growing in full sun and had very large leaves and yes, it did have very large fruit as well.

Take into consideration that Leo did not thin the fruit so the fruit could probably get even larger than they already were.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23667.msg282286;topicseen#msg282286

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 01:19:44 PM »
Simon, yes thanks for the link. I did remember reading about Leo Manuel's large seedling tree with those big loquats.
If you want to trade, I can trade you one of my large white flesh seedling (KT3-Sheri Lynn) cuttings for a few of Leo Manuel's cutting.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 07:13:39 PM »
Kaz, hope your special large leaf loquat turns out to be a tasty large fruited one.  What color flesh is your Peluche?  In Flying Fox Fruits video he mentions his Peluche is white fleshed and although video is at night the fruit looks pale white, but the picture on Akme gardens website (Viking Guy) shows orange flesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeThpaBLz0

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »
Janet, that is a very good observation, I don't remember seeing FFF video with the white flesh. I agree, even though it's at night the Peluche fruits looks white fleshed to me. My Peluche fruits I picked last year were all yellow colored flesh, not white. That's interesting since the person who sold me the cuttings said he purchased his Peluche from Adam (FFF). Also, I have the cuttings from Adam (Viking Guy) that I grafted on my tree. Viking Guy's Peluche has not fruited yet, but now they do have green fruits so I will need to check the flesh when it is ripe. I think Viking Guy also got his original cuttings from Adam (FFF). I wonder if Flying Fox Fruits sold another version of the Peluche to these people and didn't know it. I do know the fruits are very large (more than any other I grow), and another forum member in SD who has it said the fruit has yellow/orange flesh inside.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »
Kaz, I found a video where Adam says there is a white flesh and orange flesh Peluche.  Austin Barnhill’s Peluche is orange fleshed.  In the end of the video, Adam says his is white, not orange, and both have the same large fruit and large leaves.  So he had access to both types.  I got my Peluche from Adam (Flying Fox), but it has not bloomed in two years so don’t know what color mine is.  One thing about my Peluche tree is that the leaves burned in full summer sun, so I moved it into shade.  The video I mentioned is on Barnhill Farms & Nursery Facebook page, April 5, 2020 posting if you want to see it.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 09:44:43 PM »
Janet,

That makes sense, I did read online that it mentions the flesh color is white, yellow, or orange for the Peluche. Adam (FFF) must have both types and the ones he sold to the guys here in CA and to Viking Guy is the orange variety.

Here's a video by FFF (3/21) showing his orange flesh Peluche. I think the orange flesh variety should taste sweeter than the white flesh since it will not be as tart. My Peluche fruit I tasted last year was sweet like Big Jim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_wPLEvve8

Now I will need to see who has the white flesh Peluche and try to get a few cuttings to add to my collection.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 09:50:53 PM »
Here is a pic from Austin’s Facebook page.  In the videos these were from Adam’s trees.  They said the white flesh were great.  I hope I have the white flesh, I got my tree after I saw these videos.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 10:25:38 PM »
I did notice in Adam's (FFF) video he weighed his largest Peluche fruit, it was 68 grams. My orange flesh Peluche was 93 grams, and the friends was 103 grams so the orange flesh is a little fatter and long.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 10:40:01 PM »
Good to hear.  I should have the orange fleshed Peluche from Viking Guy and hopefully the one from Adam is white.  Not sure if you noticed in Adam’s video, but his Peluche loquat tree has long branches without dense leaves, doesn’t look as lush and vigorous as a typical loquat tree.  It looked like it was in a pot, not sure if that was the reason or it just has a different growth habit.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 10:17:54 PM »
I did notice in Adam's (FFF) video he weighed his largest Peluche fruit, it was 68 grams. My orange flesh Peluche was 93 grams, and the friends was 103 grams so the orange flesh is a little fatter and long.

That is the size of an apricot! And 103 grams is approaching Florida peach size. Lol!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 11:48:33 PM »
Yup. Peluche fruits get very large, but it only has a small cluster (1,2 or 3) on each branch. While the other loquats like Big Jim may have 8-12 fruits per cluster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk