Author Topic: Mango: anyone have Alampur Baneshan - Indian mango? Turned out it's Iman Pasand!  (Read 2159 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
I don't see any discussions about this variety here. How do you like it?

Description from Toptrop:
"Originated in the Andhra Pradesh region of South India and is considered as one of the finest dessert mangos in the country. The fruit are large, averaging 14 to 16 oz. They are oblique-oblong. The skin color is green, even when ripe, and is overlaid with characteristic corky dots covering the fruit surface. As with most other fine dessert mangos of India, 'Alampur Baneshan' is best harvested hard-green and ripened at room temperature. In this manner one can expect an exceptional, multi-leveled flavor, from the deep and resinous to the intensely sweet. This is a mango for the true connoisseur, not the beginner, as its flavor could prove to be overpowering to the unaccustomed palate. The fruit are uncommon outside of India and due to its green skin color, yield limitations and propensity for pre-harvest splitting, it is improbable that they will enter into international export markets."

I had this grafted tree in ground for 10 years or more and it's only 36" tall with most wippy branches huggin the ground. Leaves are very small: 2" wide x 6" long. A very slow grow plant. I had grafted a few brands on other rootstocks (from seedlings) and the grafts are slow grower compared other variety.

I had eaten a few good fruits and here is my feedback: it's one of the top on my list, over LZ.  When ripe the flesh is pale yellow unattractive, no aroma outside. But it's a shock when it's inside my mouth: creamy like avocado with absolute no hint of fibers; very sweet but balanced taste, and the aroma (sensed by mouth/tongue and not nose) of the taste is so powerful -- almost like durian fruit and creamy. The fruits are bigger than Kent, and the flowers looking so strange compared to other mangoes. I called it durian mango in my family.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:00:04 PM by sapote »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango: anyone have Alampur Baneshan - Indian mango?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 05:48:46 PM »
At the rate it's growing you should expect fruit in 30 years?

This is a great web site for mangos

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/alampur-baneshan

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 07:45:22 PM »
Yes, I had bought many scions from Alex of TropicalAcresfarm. The link confirmed that my Alampur Baneshan is actually Iman Pasand, as the true Alampur has the deep yellow flesh as shown here :
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Alampur_Benishan_mango%2C_interior.jpg

Mine has the pale yellow or white flesh when ripe and the taste was so good without any tart aftertaste. No mangoes I have known has this creamy taste -- like avocado.

Here is a youtube video of the tree and those small leaves.

All I can say is my Iman Pasand is a very slow growing tree in SoCal and its taste is incredible.

This video shows the Iman P. as my smaller tree but same small leaves and the tree looks more like Sapodilla than a mango tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvQq8i1ILFg

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 07:57:06 PM by sapote »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »

This is a great web site for mangos

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/alampur-baneshan

You ended up help me to correctly identify my tree as Iman Pasand which is, luckily not disappointing at all even though I wanted to get the Alampur. :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »

Funny, my 10 yrs old small tree only had enough energy  to give me 2 very big fruits every years the last 6 yrs; only 2 from 2 different branches. However the grafted on a larger Kent rootstock gave me 4 larger fruits this year after 3 years grafted.  It taste like the best butter in the world.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
The “real” Alampur Baneshan may not exist in the US (or at least, is not propagated by any nursery which I’m aware of). If you have a tree labeled as such here, it is almost certainly Iman Passand.

Finding photographs on the internet of the real thing in India is also difficult , but the real one seems to develop some reddish blush at the top of the fruit. The fake (Iman Passand) does not develop that color.

I agree with the above posts about Iman Passand being a fantastic fruit (with the caveat that you have to enjoy Indian/West Indian flavored mangos to appreciate it). It has a very complex, rich flavor with high Brix to go with it. The trees are super manageable and actually produce VeRY well and consistently here. The major drawback is fruit cracking, which can afflict literally the entire crop in a ‘bad’ year. Many of these are still salvageable though, just not necessarily saleable.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
I was lucky enough to purchase one of Alex’s “Iman Passand” crop this past summer and it was excellent. Very interesting complex mango.  Not pretty, but very good.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
"The major drawback is fruit cracking, which can afflict literally the entire crop in a ‘bad’ year."

Interesting, because in SoCal I have never had one cracked fruit (but I had a few cracked LZ at the same time). Maybe it's only issue for FL growers.

Squam256

• View Profile
"The major drawback is fruit cracking, which can afflict literally the entire crop in a ‘bad’ year."

Interesting, because in SoCal I have never had one cracked fruit (but I had a few cracked LZ at the same time). Maybe it's only issue for FL growers.

Probably. It’s always worse when there’s rainfall.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
I’ve been looking for imam pasand for such a long time after watching Weird explorer’s review on it. But I don’t know a legit place to get one since there’s so much mislabeling. 

Squam256

• View Profile
I’ve been looking for imam pasand for such a long time after watching Weird explorer’s review on it. But I don’t know a legit place to get one since there’s so much mislabeling.

We produce Iman Passand trees. We’re planning on obtaining California certification to ship trees in 2021 if it proves practical.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile

We produce Iman Passand trees. We’re planning on obtaining California certification to ship trees in 2021 if it proves practical.

Just raise the price until it is practical for you. I actually found your website when I was looking for imam pasand scion, I think I emailed you cause it was out of stock.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile

Just raise the price until it is practical for you. I actually found your website when I was looking for imam pasand scion, I think I emailed you cause it was out of stock.

I agree Alex. Charge accordingly. Shipping trees is a pita, but can be worth it if done right and charging enough.

Re thread: lots of Indian mangoes are mislabeled/misidentified, in India as well.

Glad we are progressing in nailing them down. 

Squam256

• View Profile

We used a shop template to write those descriptions so everything is always marked “out of stock”, but scions will be available again in April.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
I bought some fruit on or near Pine Island a few years back and was very impressed. A very unique flavor, flesh was almost white, very pale yellow. Unfortunately, I can't remember which stand I bought them at and haven't found any for sale since. I know someone has a producing tree locally. I want to buy or trade for some fruit next year if any local forum members have it.

JamesS

• united states,california,garden grove,10
    • View Profile

also interested in  California

We used a shop template to write those descriptions so everything is always marked “out of stock”, but scions will be available again in April.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
The best thing is this Iman Pasand flowers don't have power mildew while other varieties planted nearby have tons.
I also have this observation, that most Indian varieties (Alphonso, kesar)  , the flower buds (not the almond shape bud but in later developed buds of like a wheat shape) have more furs or velour than others.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:00:25 PM by sapote »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I got the well know Indian mango called Banarasi Langra, via the Fairchild mango festival of about 2012. That year the theme was mangoes of India. I was told Zill grafted. Alex=Squam has told me it is something else unknown. But is usually produces large enough fruits so I have no complaints. It produce Haden-like fruits and produces more than my Haden tree of yore.

Langra - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Langra
The 'Langra' mango, also known as Banarasi Langra, is a mango cultivar primarily grown in Varanasi, or Banaras, Northern India, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:45:21 PM by zands »