Author Topic: Soursop and cold  (Read 947 times)

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
Soursop and cold
« on: December 26, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »
Hi all! I wonder if there are different types of a. Muricata, soursop that have different cold tolerance...
My soursop drops leave when temp about 45f. Last night was 32f . Today i went to a local nursery and noticed that one of their soursops still have greenesh leaves and the rest of them dropped them long time ago.
I wonder if it's a. Montana got mixed up or there are more cold hardy muricatas. I was so tempted to buy it just for survival ability because its hard to keep my soursop happy
Ana

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop and cold
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
Yes, there is variability in the cold hardiness of different soursop trees.

I have a bunch of different soursop seedlings growing right now from 4 different continents and some are more cold-hardy than others.

Some have lost all leaves, while others have had no damage with the recent cold here in S Florida.

I've brought them all inside for anything under 40 though to avoid too much damage while they are young.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »
It was mentioned before by Har that wind chill plays a big part in Soursop defoliation. aI have quite a few wind protected and some nearby not so and there is a distinct difference. The wind protected have leaves while those more exposed have dropped. That isn't such a bad thing once temps warm it stimulates a good growth
flush.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
What was surprising is that 15 small soursops, 3g, in the same area were opened to wind, no protection, defoliated because of previous cold nights, and a one single tree survived even last 32f. It has to be different...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:47:19 PM by Flgarden »
Ana

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 06:30:17 PM »
What was surprising is that 15 small soursops, 3g, in the same area were opened to wind, no protection, defoliated because of previous cold nights, and a one single tree survived even last 32f. It has to be different...

Keep an eye on that one and see how it performs the rest of winter. If it has good quality fruit, it may be worth propagating.

My trees are all kept in an enclosed patio with walls on both sides so no wind and I noticed huge differences between trees right next to each other as well.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 07:06:47 PM »
That's what i was thinking, will watch it. If it will still look the same in a few days, i have to buy it :)
Unfortunately I won't be able to see fruits, it will be sold or something.
My soursop, covered like a mummy, still dropped leaves and fruits 3 weeks ago...
Ana