Author Topic: Hunt for the best Surinam Cherry  (Read 16932 times)

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: Hunt for the best Surinam Cherry
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »
are there seedlings that never fruit? I got a plant some 9 years ago, didn't grow much and no fruits.

Of course, the problem with getting some small seedlings is sometimes you may have one with runt genetics but since you purchased it as the expected size its hard to weed out any weak characteristics. For 9 years I would say that one is definitely a runt/bottom of the liter pick.. that being said, if you don't mind you can try:

defoliating + light prune + liquid fertilizer + consistent watering - it should take about a month to start back up and if all goes well you should see very aggressive growth and possibly flowering - I just did this with my bonsai

I would suspect like simon said, that girdling may also trigger blooms, I will note something interesting that I've picked up from other bonsai growers w/pitangas..

They have experienced trees to bloom after heavy thick wiring around the trunk has been removed.. girdling may work in a similar mechanism.

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2021, 09:24:14 PM »
No, this is neither the sweet orange or black beauty from Ben.  That's what is currently listed on his website.  The fruit is red when fully ripen.  My friend grafted this onto a uniflora rootstock.  You can easily see the differences in the leaves.  Very elongated vs. the rootstock leaves.  Whatever it is, I really enjoy it.  Here is a pic from May:

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2021, 09:50:53 PM »
This pic below shows the leaves from the grafted plant and the rootstock (upper left is the narrow leaves that my fruits are from and lower right are normal looking Surinam Cherry leaves from the rootstock).  Showing this because it clearly isn't a nutritional deficiency.  So beyond the lobeless fruit, the leaf structure is very different.  Nexxogen is correct with his assessment.  Pitanga-pebo.

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2021, 02:02:18 AM »
This pic below shows the leaves from the grafted plant and the rootstock (upper left is the narrow leaves that my fruits are from and lower right are normal looking Surinam Cherry leaves from the rootstock).  Showing this because it clearly isn't a nutritional deficiency.  So beyond the lobeless fruit, the leaf structure is very different.  Nexxogen is correct with his assessment.  Pitanga-pebo.

It could be E. Pitanga then, nice, would love to buy scions sometime.. I really want to try this fruit and I'm pretty sure the one I purchased isn't actually E. Pitanga.. we should hold a pitanga tasting party sometime

Also kinda reminds me of http://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2018/05/more-on-guaruja-red-surinam-cherry.html

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2021, 12:58:06 AM »
A member of this forum Miguel.pt sells Eugenia Pitanga seeds. This is where I've got mine from.

Another characteristic of this species is that it is very short - won't grow more than 2m high supposedly. It also defoliates during winter. Wikipedia actually describes it as "deciduous".

Nexxogen, thanks for the information! I had no idea there was a different species or subspecies of Surinam Cherry.

I don't even think it's correct to call this a species or subspecies of Surinam Cherry. I think it's simply another Eugenia which just happens to have fruits that look like Surinam Cherries.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:02:42 AM by nexxogen »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
Has anyone here tried top working and unproductive or undesirable plant? I have two that are shy bearers and that don't taste very good.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »
Has anyone here tried top working and unproductive or undesirable plant? I have two that are shy bearers and that don't taste very good.

Works fine. I have marklee's 'driveway', regina seedling and the one i just mentioned all grafted over a poor tasting seedling.
Shane

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »
When’s the best time of year to graft Surinam Cherry here in So Cal? Thanks
Nate

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »
When’s the best time of year to graft Surinam Cherry here in So Cal? Thanks

I have grafted them at several different times of year, often with poor success. My only successful grafts have been in late Summer after it has cooled off, or early spring with the plant in a greenhouse to keep it cozy. I'm in 9b, so that causes some stress / cold issues during deep winter.

Personally I think the optimal time is early spring and that's when I had my most  consistent successes.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2021, 09:59:36 PM »
Thanks K-Rimes!
Think I’m gonna give it a shot now, weather’s lookin pretty mild and my Zill’s Dark tree is pushing lots of new growth but doesn’t have any fruit on it since she ain’t fruited yet, women...

The Zill’s is from exotica nursery and the other Surinams I have in the ground are two runtz that are from seeds I grew from some tasty black skinned fruit I got from a big Surinam cherry grower named Thom.

Great looking trees and fruit everyone, I hope to add to the discussion sooner than later...

Zill’s Dark tree

Runt 1

Runt 2

Nate

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2021, 12:18:05 AM »
Thanks K-Rimes!
Think I’m gonna give it a shot now, weather’s lookin pretty mild and my Zill’s Dark tree is pushing lots of new growth but doesn’t have any fruit on it since she ain’t fruited yet, women...

The Zill’s is from exotica nursery and the other Surinams I have in the ground are two runtz that are from seeds I grew from some tasty black skinned fruit I got from a big Surinam cherry grower named Thom.

Great looking trees and fruit everyone, I hope to add to the discussion sooner than later...

Thom in HB?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2021, 10:39:45 PM »
I decided to take a Brix reading from some of the smaller JM Thick Leaf fruit and I got a reading of 17.0% Brix. I will stop by Leo Manuel’s place soon and test some fruit from his mature, in ground Vermillion.

Simon
Here is one of the "thick leaf" Neitzel fruits. Very good taste, similar to the "black star" and "zills black".

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2021, 02:15:56 PM »
Here are some photos of my pitangas. I have so many more not shown. I have a couple Regina seedlings from Miguel, a few Zill's from achetadomestica and a few other randoms I can't recall. Sorry if the photos aren't clear, it's hard when everything is so green here

My fruitless Lolita with a Zill's graft in the centre

Grafted vermillion that produces prolifically

10' tall Black Star that is combo potted with a strawberry guava that is choking it out. I repotted them yesterday and I hope that the black star will come back a bit. It had a lot of branch die-off I think due to being root bound. It fruits rarely but it is the sweetest one I have.

10' tall red pitanga which I've never had a fruit from, it had many fruit on it when I bought it.

Zill's, black star, or seedlings from Argentina (the bigger pointy leaf ones in the back are the Argentine variety)

Chamba and Lolita from Exotica, no flowers yet

Lolita from Exotica that I grafted some of my vermillion onto

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:22:30 PM by K-Rimes »

klhenks

• southern california
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »
does any one sell scion wood for the surinam cherry trees,   i can not find any.

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
does any one sell scion wood for the surinam cherry trees,   i can not find any.

yes plenty people do but grafting success might be limited now..

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2021, 08:24:22 PM »
Check this out @simon_grow, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFcR74X7y6k apparently 20%+ brix is doable with pitangas.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
Wow, that’s awesome, I’d love to get a hold of that variety! Thanks for the info!

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2021, 01:18:50 PM »
My grafted vermillion is into heavy flowering time. Looking like a great yield for this fall crop. Had a mild spring crop but birds knocked them all off.

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2022, 07:10:33 PM »
Its that time of the year again.. might have a winner with this unknown black fruited seedling!

Got this one from a buddy in 2020 so maybe I'll name if after him, he doesn't know the original source but it grew extremely vigorously for me and throughout winter as well.

I should note that microclimate shenanigans are in play ;D.

Really happy so far with this seedling, I believe this is the first time it properly set and ripened some fruit, under 4 years old and great flower to fruit set ratio with no other surinams nearby.

These fruits ripened this week, brix ranging from 16 to almost 19, some more heat could result in a 20. This is much sweeter than my grafted blackstar, however, my blackstar only gets morning sun whereas the balcony the seedling is grown at gets afternoon sun only.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:12:10 PM by socalbalcony2 »

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »
I just had my first surinam cherry. Does anyone prefer the red variety over the darker hue varieties? Seems like everyone likes the darks more

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2022, 07:32:19 PM »
I just had my first surinam cherry. Does anyone prefer the red variety over the darker hue varieties? Seems like everyone likes the darks more

Red gets a bad rap but I like them just the same really. Even a tart pitanga is tasty to me.

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2022, 07:41:35 PM »

I like plenty of reds, with the exception of when some ripen during the cooler months.. one of mine went from tasty to literal tomatoes flavor, wasn't good at all.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »
Growing and fruiting several types myself. Just recently did an exterior job for client and was able to try fruit from her Surinam. They were very large and extremely juicy, some of the best ive had. I noticed the tree trunk had a sprinkler head 2 ft away and was receiving lots of water weekly. I’ve noticed on my own Surinams the largest juiciest fruit comes during the rains.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2022, 08:25:01 PM »
Just starting to harvest the Vermillion surinam cherry now. It is the most likeable fruit in our family. Very juicy, very sweet ( has to be picked fully ripe), and has a strong tropical flavor to it.
Yes, it loves water! Once we finished harvesting this batch, i will water it heavily and it will start bloom again like crazy. I mostly use gray water from our kitchen ( water we used to wash rice, veggie, meat, etc). It seems to love it.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2022, 09:01:34 PM »
I have a red and a black from seed and they taste the same to me when ripe.  Both are best when they fall off the tree on their own or come off woth the slightest touch.  I will probably ditch the black one and keep the red because the ripe red fruit is easier to spot.  I am interested in trying all these varieties but the plain red is already very nice, I probably won't bother growing the special types

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk