Author Topic: No mango in Florida this year. bummer.  (Read 2525 times)

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
No mango in Florida this year. bummer.
« on: March 17, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
It seems this year Florida mango flowers taking a serious hit of powdery mildew or some kind of fungus. We are living in the Tampa Bay area, and none of our mango are setting fruits. The flowers started to get darker, some look like powdery mildew. I tried sprayed tea tree oil, not much help.

Anyone in Florida has this problem?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: No mango in Florida this year. bummer.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
How many years have your trees been in the ground which varieties and did you get hit with frost?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:05:34 PM »
Alek, you neeed to spray copper before flowers opened.  Sorry.  If any haven't opened yet, spray asap.
S.E. Florida mango season looking very very good to me.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 08:09:31 PM »
No issues on the east coast in Sebastian. Cogshall and PPK flowered and set fruit just fine. It hurt to remove the bloom from PPK but I just grafted it 6 months ago so it is not ready to bear.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:37:13 PM »
Alek, you neeed to spray copper before flowers opened.  Sorry.  If any haven't opened yet, spray asap.
S.E. Florida mango season looking very very good to me.

Copper is not used for powdery mildew.
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 01:53:40 AM »
I lost several flowers too, mostly on the trees that flushed first.  They got caught in the frost in February and I believe it was more from temperature than powdery mildew in my case. 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 04:33:19 AM »
Going to be a terrific mango season for us in southeast Florida.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 05:53:40 AM »
I am now using this product for powdery mildew and anthracnose. Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide.  Available through Amazon among others I am sure BUT, one key with this that I confirmed from the company itself is that it can be sprayed on open panicles without harming them as well as fruit.  In addition, it can be used as a drench to help with potential root rot issues. 

I live in the Lakeland, FL area near the Hillsborough County line.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 06:42:29 AM »
I am now using this product for powdery mildew and anthracnose. Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide.  Available through Amazon among others I am sure BUT, one key with this that I confirmed from the company itself is that it can be sprayed on open panicles without harming them as well as fruit.  In addition, it can be used as a drench to help with potential root rot issues. 

Can you foliar spray and root drench in the same application or is it one or the other. Plant Doctor organocide I didn't have my spectacles on and I added 8 tbsp instead of a teaspoon and then when I was done I poured the contact of my 1/2 gallon sprayer for a root drench. Later to read that that is not advised for mangoes but it seems to be okay for the medical marijuana people it's called a Curative dose. And since I knew some of the varieties would not be caring fruit this year I went ahead and sprayed the blooms opened and closed didn't seem to have ill effect. They all set fruit wonderfully. On the Q&A someone ask about how much to drench the soil the answer is a 1 cup  per plant. That's a mighty big cup that can hold a half gallon LOL
Daylight saving time my tailbone. It's so dark I can't find my truck.Lol

Correction that is a tbsp. Not eight
My Google Assistance is a little snarky this morning. She says she doesn't have the linguistic algorithm to decipher the dialect of ignoramus Lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:10:08 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 11:50:12 AM »

Can you foliar spray and root drench in the same application or is it one or the other. Plant Doctor organocide I didn't have my spectacles on and I added 8 tbsp instead of a teaspoon and then when I was done I poured the contact of my 1/2 gallon sprayer for a root drench. Later to read that that is not advised for mangoes but it seems to be okay for the medical marijuana people it's called a Curative dose. And since I knew some of the varieties would not be caring fruit this year I went ahead and sprayed the blooms opened and closed didn't seem to have ill effect. They all set fruit wonderfully. On the Q&A someone ask about how much to drench the soil the answer is a 1 cup  per plant. That's a mighty big cup that can hold a half gallon LOL

My Google Assistance is a little snarky this morning. She says she doesn't have the linguistic algorithm to decipher the dialect of ignoramus Lol

While my memory overall is slipping, I am pretty sure he said I could mix up enough to do both at the same time but you might want to confirm that.  I did do both and have not seen any ill effects so far, wait a minute perhaps breathing the stuff is fogging my memory more, lol.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 02:46:00 PM »

While my memory overall is slipping, I am pretty sure he said I could mix up enough to do both at the same time but you might want to confirm that.  I did do both and have not seen any ill effects so far, wait a minute perhaps breathing the stuff is fogging my memory more, lol.
I can only speak of my experience with Plant Doctor organocide. After applying a foliar spray mix ratio 3 times stronger than recommended and a soil drench 4 times stronger than recommended. I didn't see any signs of Phytotoxicity  shock on a three foot tall ice cream mango tree. The marijuana people use my mega dose as a Curative dose and then the recommended dosage as a scheduled maintenance dose. Organocide may feel that there is a point of diminishing returns but I plan on in the spring of each year  Giving a Curative dose followed by a scheduled maintenance dose. This will only be for my anthracnose prone variety. Organocide does recommend foliar spray over drenching for mangoes.  They do not recommend a combination of both.
I do find the above recommended fungicide interesting will study on it this weekend :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:01:35 PM by bovine421 »

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
It still looks good down here in St. Pete. We had light frost on the car windows the one morning, so I'm sure you got it good up there. The trees that bloomed before the frost didn't set as much but they are still holding a fair amount. The trees that bloomed after the frost are loaded.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »
It still looks good down here in St. Pete. We had light frost on the car windows the one morning, so I'm sure you got it good up there. The trees that bloomed before the frost didn't set as much but they are still holding a fair amount. The trees that bloomed after the frost are loaded.
The last week in February Central Florida had rain every day for about a week. Also during that time. We had cool nights and actually tomorrow Friday is supposed to be down to 52. Because of variety selection for the most part my trees have done really well with powdery mildew. Out of my trees that are anthracnose prone only my DOT has issues that are concerning to me.  It has been on a regiment with a systemic fungicide before fruit set. As of today I've seen evidence on a small percentage of mangollets having signs of anthracnose. I always think that I can be the exception to the rule but now I'm starting to think I should have listened to wiser minds. As much as I love DOT I'm thinking I'm going to start top working it  to Zill indo-chinese. Did you have much rain? If so which varieties did it mostly affect if any. :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:17:35 PM by bovine421 »

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »
Instead reply on-one-one....

I have a 4-yrs old lemon zest and a Maha Chanok same size. The lemon zest flowered early and plenty. The maha bloomed late in February.

I'm almost sure it's not frosting because the flowers kind of died slowly with and not clean as frost. Also, the Maha bloomed late and has the withered the same way. My parent's Kiew Sa Wei suffered the same fate. However, their kent mango seems doing fine. Let me hypothesize that older mango trees have stronger immune system.

I think I spayed soap and tea tree oil too late. Yes EddieF I think I'll spray early next year.

Some suggested copper and Jagmanjoe suggested Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide... Oh well I will try next year.

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 01:42:43 AM »
I'm in south St. Pete. My Mahas bloomed heavily in mid-Jan, and the Lemon Zests followed at January's end. All of them are holding fruitlets now and looking good. Other than 1 or 2 nights where temps go down to 38 deg F early January, we've had great weather to trigger blooms. The Phoenix tree was the first to bloom in my yard (late November), and even though it was covered with flowers, not a single fruit formed... most likely all male flowers due to the the cold spell. Not sure what may be going on with your Maha and Lemon Zest trees... too young perhaps, or thirsty ?? Would help if you post some pics of the trees. For sure you gotta spray for powdery mildew and anthracnose if you want a decent crop each season.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
No issues here in the southeast (Broward) here either, at least on my 5 trees.
Regards,

Gary

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »
I'm in south St. Pete. My Mahas bloomed heavily in mid-Jan, and the Lemon Zests followed at January's end. All of them are holding fruitlets now and looking good. Other than 1 or 2 nights where temps go down to 38 deg F early January, we've had great weather to trigger blooms. The Phoenix tree was the first to bloom in my yard (late November), and even though it was covered with flowers, not a single fruit formed... most likely all male flowers due to the the cold spell. Not sure what may be going on with your Maha and Lemon Zest trees... too young perhaps, or thirsty ?? Would help if you post some pics of the trees. For sure you gotta spray for powdery mildew and anthracnose if you want a decent crop each season.

Could be thirsty, we haven't had any rain this year yet. My trees also on slanted ground.
I have few questions hopefully you guys can help:
How many time we need to spray fungicide?
Do still need to water a 4-5 year old tree? (4-5 inch trunk).
What nutrient that you feed your mango trees? When to apply?

Appreciate all answers.

- Joe 

Not sure if this a Maha or not. The seller told me so but the branch and leaves are huge and upright.

Certainly look like powdery mildew.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:24:15 PM by Alekhan »

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 10:45:23 AM »

Could be thirsty, we haven't had any rain this year yet. My trees also on slanted ground.
I have few questions hopefully you guys can help:
How many time we need to spray fungicide?
Do still need to water a 4-5 year old tree? (4-5 inch trunk).
What nutrient that you feed your mango trees? When to apply?

- Joe 
[/quote]

Your Maha does not appear to be dehydrated... I don't see any dried leaf tips. I've been watering my trees at least 2X weekly these past few months (it's been very dry these past few weeks), before they started flowering, and also started spraying Plant Doctor and Daconil every 2 weeks. You should spray before flowers open, but NOT during open blooms. One of my Mahas will often not fruit much if it produced a lot the previous season, while the other will consistently pump out 100 mangos every season. I use Har's Fruitilizer (0-3-16) for all my older trees (>4 yrs in ground), and 8-3-9 or 8-4-8 on the smaller trees that needed to grow.

Maha from 10 days ago. Your tree looks like it's a Maha, at least to my untrained eye.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 08:44:32 PM »
@Gambit, wow so much fruit for a short tree. Next year I will water them in the Winter. Thanks for the tips.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 07:53:53 AM »
Yep, my tree is a Maha. It managed get 1 fruit. The fruit is beautiful elongated with red/pink shade. The taste is only sweet, not on par with my lemon zest. Maybe, it's the first fruit season. I'll give it another chance.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »
July is the mango low point of the year here but much to my surprise mid winter mangoes of at least 4 varieties are available in the market for a kings ransom.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »
Yep, my tree is a Maha. It managed get 1 fruit. The fruit is beautiful elongated with red/pink shade. The taste is only sweet, not on par with my lemon zest. Maybe, it's the first fruit season. I'll give it another chance.
You might try picking it a little earlier. Many Thai and Indian varieties get sweet to the point of insipid if allowed to go fully ripe, not sure about Maha.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2021, 08:54:11 AM »

A Maha will NEVER compare in terms of taste quality and complexity to a LZ.  Just two totally different varieties.
- Rob

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 12:18:21 PM »

A Maha will NEVER compare in terms of taste quality and complexity to a LZ.  Just two totally different varieties.

I'd tasted a few varieties, nothing beat the LZ so far. However, the LZ tree seems to have fungus (black spots, brittle braches). Next year, my sweet tart will fruit. Hopefully it will be good as the LZ; and the tree shape of the ST is very nice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk