Author Topic: Does Any Other Mango Grow As Fast As Valencia Pride?  (Read 892 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Does Any Other Mango Grow As Fast As Valencia Pride?
« on: March 21, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »
I have a spot in my yard where I’m thinking about planting a shade tree. Currently there are some smallish strangler figs growing there that I was thinking about leaving and letting get big but I’ve been reading that they may become problematic. I have been considering planting a mango in that area as a shade tree instead. Valencia Pride has a reputation for having uncontrollable growth and becoming a massive tree in a short period of time and would be ideal if it weren’t for the fact that the majority of the VP fruit I’ve had had been mediocre at best (I have had some decent ones but most have been disappointing). Are there any other mangoes that approach the vigor and disease resistance of VP but have somewhat better fruit?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Does Any Other Mango Grow As Fast As Valencia Pride?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
Cac and ST Maui are two very vigorous varieties that also happen to be superb mangos with decent disease tolerance.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
Some fig varieties in Florida will grow and then get large branch dieoff and keep repeating that process (I think has to do with nematodes) and they go dormant part of the year anyway so I’d go ahead and transplant it somewhere else. Or, are you talking about a sycamore fig?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
Some fig varieties in Florida will grow and then get large branch dieoff and keep repeating that process (I think has to do with nematodes) and they go dormant part of the year anyway so I’d go ahead and transplant it somewhere else. Or, are you talking about a sycamore fig?

OP stated its a strangler fig, most commonly F. aurea (but could be other tropical species).  Super fast grower but can be quite invasive.
- Rob

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 10:37:54 AM »

OP stated its a strangler fig, most commonly F. aurea (but could be other tropical species).  Super fast grower but can be quite invasive.

Yes, strangler fig. Normally parasitic but I have some that are free standing. They can become very cool looking trees when they get big but I’ve been reading that their roots can cause problems.

Looks like Cac it is! Thanks Alex!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:40:20 AM by Oncorhynchus »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »

Yes, strangler fig. Normally parasitic but I have some that are free standing. They can become very cool looking trees when they get big but I’ve been reading that their roots can cause problems.

Yeah, the stranglers can look very cool but roots are an issue.  They are are more of surface roots which makes them topple over in hurricanes.  I have one in my yard that looks very nice but due to its size and proximity to the house,  I really need to have it removed.
- Rob

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »

Yeah, the stranglers can look very cool but roots are an issue.  They are are more of surface roots which makes them topple over in hurricanes.  I have one in my yard that looks very nice but due to its size and proximity to the house,  I really need to have it removed.

You weren’t kidding about the shallow roots, I just ripped two 6 footers from the ground like it was nothing! Just wish sable palms came out that easy.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »

I can't say much about the tree I have no experience with that but I will say as far as the fruit  It consistently has a very good flavor. My wife made the remark last season. That every time we've had CAC  We said wow this is a excellent mango.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry