Author Topic: 9b Spring  (Read 711 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
9b Spring
« on: April 03, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »
Things are cautiously opening up here in zone 9b. This year they’re about a month behind what happened last year, but I prefer that. Last year I had tons of blooms and young growth that got burnt by a late frost.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: 9b Spring
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
Nice looking plants!   And I really like your PVC greenhouse design.   Simple and good use of space.

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
Looking good 8) How are the jabo grafts doing? I threw a few grafts on my Sabara a couple months ago but they've been pretty quiet. How long does it usually take for them to poke?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 08:48:51 PM »
Looking good 8) How are the jabo grafts doing? I threw a few grafts on my Sabara a couple months ago but they've been pretty quiet. How long does it usually take for them to poke?

In the winter they hung around from November til February before they explosively popped, so, in those colder conditions 3 months. The most recent reds I put on were on Feb 15 and are pushing now, so about 6 weeks in warmer spring conditions. The greenhouse is, in my opinion, the best thing ever for grafting. It really makes the pushes consistent and strong.

I did a HUGE cocktail jabo with over 10 types on it and none have pushed, that was about one month ago.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »
Nice cherry blooms
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 12:40:52 AM »
Nice cherry blooms

Santa Rosa plum in the back and flavor king pluot front. The smaller Eugenia bloom are savannah cherry (Eugenia calcyina)

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 07:29:33 AM »
Nice picts!  Yeah, the trees seem to have been sleeping later than prior years. Just last week, my wife asked me of they were dead!  The new pluots planted this year, looked like sticks in the ground until a few days ago. Same with the asain pears and persimmons..  only the avocados and weeds were on schedule.

The other weird part is lack of bees buzzing around?

Here are some Stella cherry blossoms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk