Author Topic: MANGO recommendation  (Read 6411 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: MANGO recommendation
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 06:01:00 PM »
Hello

I need your recommendations. If you were to plant 3 mangos, what would they be? 3 tasty, complex flavored mangos with different flavor profiles. Maybe one with coconut, one with lemon, and one with another complex flavor.

Thanks

Lemon Zest
Sugarloaf
ZINC

Poor ZINC gets no love.
Ranks in my top 5 every year.
I'm happy my tree is finally fruiting.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:36 PM »
I already have Glenn, Keitt, Orange Sherbet, Carrie, Pickering, & Cogshall.  This year only Orange Sherbet, Glenn and Pickering fruited well and the other 3 only have 2-3 fruits on them.  I have 6 spots left in my yard and I can only hope once I taste these new varieties from Tropical Acres Farm this summer I can narrow it down to 3 I want to plant since there's other fruits I'm wanting to plant as well! :'(

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 06:25:08 AM »
Does anyone have or will have E4, M4, pina colada for sale?

In your area I would call fruitscapes

https://fruitscapesllc.com/

Here are some nice folks over in Sarasota. I always to go visit when I vacation over there just haven't found the time
https://www.sulcatagrove.com/?m=1

Thank you Bovine. I know them. I will ask.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
I already have Glenn, Keitt, Orange Sherbet, Carrie, Pickering, & Cogshall.  This year only Orange Sherbet, Glenn and Pickering fruited well and the other 3 only have 2-3 fruits on them.  I have 6 spots left in my yard and I can only hope once I taste these new varieties from Tropical Acres Farm this summer I can narrow it down to 3 I want to plant since there's other fruits I'm wanting to plant as well! :'(
You need something from the Indochinese group.  Hopefully you find something you like this summer.  The information at tropicalacresfarms.com can also help you decide.  You can always PM Alex (Squam256) for suggestions.  He's good about answering.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »
I’m sure I will find something I like! I wish I had space to plant them all!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 09:45:04 AM »
What you "need" to get is what you like.  Dont buy for class/types or season, buy for what you like.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
What you "need" to get is what you like.  Dont buy for class/types or season, buy for what you like.

That's wisdom speaking there. Do not buy any trees until after mango season is over. The nice folks over in Sarasota. I know their favorite tree's are Peach Cobbler PPK and I think they have a pina colada. Word of advice before you pet their Turtle make sure he is not a snapper.lol

It would be nice that after mango season if you could give us your personal review.

I'm always interested in the hearing other perspectives
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »

Of course, you're gonna plant what you like after you taste them.  Did I say otherwise?  Most people like variety and enjoy the various flavor profiles.  (Gang up on the old guy if it makes you feel smarter, boys!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:41:44 AM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:27 PM »

horrible advice! get the ones with the coolest names!!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 01:09:55 PM »

horrible advice! get the ones with the coolest names!!
Lol !!! That is very true I'm trying to obtain one from Australia called the Red Roo

Old !!!  Who is he possibly talking about. He's had to much sun I suppose.Lol
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
Hello

I need your recommendations. If you were to plant 3 mangos, what would they be? 3 tasty, complex flavored mangos with different flavor profiles. Maybe one with coconut, one with lemon, and one with another complex flavor.

Thanks

Lemon Zest
Sugarloaf
ZINC

Poor ZINC gets no love.
Ranks in my top 5 every year.
I'm happy my tree is finally fruiting.

Adjusting for consistency year after year, I’ve moved ZINC into my top 5, all-time. Don’t ask me what I had to kick out.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
Main problem with ZINC is its propensity for uneven ripening and rotting/splitting.  They tend to have two crops like Duncan with the early ripening fruit tending to be of lesser quality.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
Main problem with ZINC is its propensity for uneven ripening and rotting/splitting.  They tend to have two crops like Duncan with the early ripening fruit tending to be of lesser quality.
Do you have a ballpark figure of what percentage typically splits and would it fare better in Central Florida where they tend to get less rain than South Florida

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
Do you have a ballpark figure of what percentage typically splits and would it fare better in Central Florida where they tend to get less rain than South Florida

Its not a rain issue.  The splitting has more to do with the rotting and uneven ripening.  I think its just a characteristic of the fruit.  Fruit from Walter Zill's trees have been consistently showing the characteristics for over 10 years.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »

Of course, you're gonna plant what you like after you taste them.  Did I say otherwise?  Most people like variety and enjoy the various flavor profiles.  (Gang up on the old guy if it makes you feel smarter, boys!)

Hi, sorry I didn’t mean to question your recommendation about an indochinese variety, that was actually really helpful since I don’t even know what flavor profile mine fall into!

I have a list of 26 mango varieties I would like to try (many of them new zill varieties) and only 3 spaces available. This list is based on this forum and YouTube as the top tier varieties.  I plan to try and order them online from Tropical Acres Farm this summer to find out which ones me and my child like best. I can definitely post a review of all of them. My hope is that I can narrow it down to 3 and not be disappointed I can’t plant more 😢

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »

For me it’s a balance of both what I like best and having the most variety and different seasons.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 11:16:02 PM »

For me it’s a balance of both what I like best and having the most variety and different seasons.

I was just saying not to choose cause someone says you need to have/should have a certain type/variety.  Its easy to pick a variety because of what you read but when it comes down to it, having a late variety just to "exrend the season" that you dont really enjoy eating is a waste of time and space.

I have 22 varieties planted and chose them all based on my likes with no other influences involved.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 11:42:32 PM »
That’s awesome, and yes I agree tasting the variety first is a must especially if space is limited.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 01:51:46 PM »
How can we try different varieties? By purchasing fruits online..? Joining mango tasting events..? Which nurseries are organizing events or selling and sending fruits?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 01:54:38 PM »
How can we try different varieties? By purchasing fruits online..? Joining mango tasting events..? Which nurseries are organizing events or selling and sending fruits?

Tropical Acres ships.  You would otherwise need to make a trip or two or three down to South Florida to buy some fruits.
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
Sometime in July in Cape Coral at the German American Club and at
Fruitscapes they have a mango mania weekend. In the past for $5 you
can sample around 25 varieties. I only went to Fruitscapes a couple years
ago but both were on the same weekend. It's really interesting listening to
the different opinions which is best.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2021, 02:54:51 PM »
Hey there, what is in top 5 category?

Adjusting for consistency year after year, I’ve moved ZINC into my top 5, all-time. Don’t ask me what I had to kick out.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:46 PM »
Sometime in July in Cape Coral at the German American Club and at
Fruitscapes they have a mango mania weekend. In the past for $5 you
can sample around 25 varieties. I only went to Fruitscapes a couple years
ago but both were on the same weekend. It's really interesting listening to
the different opinions which is best.
https://fruitscapesllc.com/fruitscapes-mango-fest/

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2021, 12:40:46 AM »

I’m going to be using Tropical Acres Farm. I’m mainly interested in trying newer Zill varieties that are not prevalent in Miami. In Miami you can buy all the classic varieties at Pine Island Nursery (they sell the fruit) for a low cost. I had posted something similar and you can go back and look at that post for more recommendations of places you can pick up at in person.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
Peach Cobbler, does wonderful in SO Cal and is not tangerine flavored if not let it go over ripe.
Sweet Tart, Honey Kiss, and Lemon Zest are all top notch