Author Topic: Ziziphus joazeiro - Jua  (Read 709 times)

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
Ziziphus joazeiro - Jua
« on: May 12, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »
Anyone have experience growing/fruiting? Can it be hybridized with jujube?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Ziziphus joazeiro - Jua
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
While I am not familiar with this species, I read an article a while back that said only a tiny fraction of Jujube flowers result in fruit (I think the number was 1%). Of those, some do not have viable seed, and because the flowers are so tiny stripping the pollen producing parts is difficult. This is why you don't see many hybrids between Chinese and Indian Jujube eventhough they are likely compatible.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
It looks like a species from the Caatinga of Brazil (desert). Saw a thread where Luc had a z. Joazeiro growing almost 10 years ago.

Have seeds coming, we'll see!

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
I see someone else has been ordering from Trade Winds. I ordered a few seeds from them about a month ago, maybe a little longer. So far, one of six has germinated and only just recently. Since Ziziphus joazeiro is a plant from Brazil's dry forests, I have been carefully monitoring these seeds to make sure I do not rot them with too much moisture. The Useful Tropical Plants website cites Harri Lorenzi's Brazilian Trees in stating that Ziziphus joazeiro has low germination and slow growth rates. I have also seen one of Adam Shafran's videos talking about how some of his failures in growing rare Brazilian fruit plants were with ones from drier areas of Brazil. So, perhaps a challenging plant to grow.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »
Caught me!

Good to hear youve gotten some germination. How do you germinate the seeds without moisture? Im up for the challenge.

Im assuming the main issue would be dealing with humidity and rainy season.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »
I do keep the seeds moist, but I really monitor the moisture levels to make sure the soil does not get too moist. My hypothesis is that these seeds would probably rot very easily. A second seed just started germinating earlier today, so I must be doing something right. Or, I have gotten some germination through blind luck. Probably the latter.

If you get any of your seeds to germinate, you should probably keep Ziziphus joazeiro strictly as a container plant. South Florida soils probably do not drain well enough to prevent root rot for this species. Assuming I can keep my seedlings alive, when I transplant them into larger pots, I am going to use some sand to create a very well-draining soil mixture and avoid the urge to overwater them. I am also going to use clay pots, not plastic.