Author Topic: Beetles eating new leaves on small trees  (Read 956 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Beetles eating new leaves on small trees
« on: May 24, 2021, 03:04:44 AM »
What organic product can be used so that beetles don’t eat the new leaves of small  trees? I go out there at night and my trees are covered in beetles.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Beetles eating new leaves on small trees
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 09:02:54 AM »
Julie, those are probably Japanese beetles..
the only way that i was able to control them was spraying the lawn and stopping the cycle..
the beetles lay eggs in the ground, the eggs become grubs(which eat the roots of the lawn) and then they become beetles and eat your fruit trees leaves.. it never ends

after i started spraying the lawn, the problem seemed to get better

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
They are most likely May/June Beetles if they look like the images above (brown beetles ).  Those will be gone at some point in the next month or so.

If they are smaller, white beetles, they are Sri Lankan Root Weevils (you can google for a picture) and are a bigger, potentially year round problem.  Those are two stage, grubs eating roots and your trees and grass, and the beetles eating the leaves.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
Yes they are brown beetles. Thank you.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 12:34:58 AM »
Do they really eat the leaves or just bite them off the stalk? That's what we have, leavecutters on the young mangoleaves but they do it in daytime.

Other fruittree's also get attacked at night in my garden, brown beetles at night who are attracted by light it seems.

I put fruitbags on young leaves, or spray with chili/garlic mix...those brown beetles are grubs who live underground and eat roots.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 01:11:39 AM »
Do they really eat the leaves or just bite them off the stalk? That's what we have, leavecutters on the young mangoleaves but they do it in daytime.

Other fruittree's also get attacked at night in my garden, brown beetles at night who are attracted by light it seems.

I put fruitbags on young leaves, or spray with chili/garlic mix...those brown beetles are grubs who live underground and eat roots.

May/June Beetles actually eat the leaves.  They are not a leaf cutter.  By their name (theybus ut ally show themselves in May and/or June), they will be gone soon.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 01:21:04 AM »
Thank you guys for the tips, I appreciate it, great ideas and information.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
what do you spray with?

Julie, those are probably Japanese beetles..
the only way that i was able to control them was spraying the lawn and stopping the cycle..
the beetles lay eggs in the ground, the eggs become grubs(which eat the roots of the lawn) and then they become beetles and eat your fruit trees leaves.. it never ends

after i started spraying the lawn, the problem seemed to get better

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk