Author Topic: Top Tier Mango Reviews  (Read 7513 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: Top Tier Mango Reviews
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 06:43:38 PM »
Holy moley did I make a very embarrassing mistake. So so sorry.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »
If you have not tried Dwarf Hawaiian you should. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 11:33:11 PM »
I had a Dwarf Hawaiian tree and I converted it to another variety July 2020. First I agree it’s very special as far as a strong spicy mango loaded with robust and indescribably delicious flavors. And I hate spicy but DH was magic. Why did I convert it? Because I didn’t like having to check it every day to see if there was another one ready to be picked. They were sort of like our South Florida peaches where you have to catch them on time before it’s too late. Since they put out so many crops it never ends. And they are small. So yes I agree they are great tasting but too annoying to me and not worth the worrying. I like to pick off the variety and be done with it. But thanks for the recommendation because generally speaking it is a great and special variety.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 12:24:04 AM »
@oolie, whats the easiest to open the seed husk. I'm always too close to cutting my self

Most of the time I opened them with my thumbs. For those harder hush, I used a small hand shear or prune and cut around the "seam" then open with thumbs. No knife as in oyster shells as it cut the embryo.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 01:07:54 AM »
Well my child actually loved the PPK mango and said it was her favorite and identified the lemon flavor right away too. Just goes to show how individual tastes vary!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 01:19:26 AM »
I had a Dwarf Hawaiian tree and I converted it to another variety July 2020. First I agree it’s very special as far as a strong spicy mango loaded with robust and indescribably delicious flavors. And I hate spicy but DH was magic. Why did I convert it? Because I didn’t like having to check it every day to see if there was another one ready to be picked. They were sort of like our South Florida peaches where you have to catch them on time before it’s too late. Since they put out so many crops it never ends. And they are small. So yes I agree they are great tasting but too annoying to me and not worth the worrying. I like to pick off the variety and be done with it. But thanks for the recommendation because generally speaking it is a great and special variety.
That's understandable and logical. The only ones I have on my radar to try this year are Ceiclove Carla and Juliette. I think you're going to like fruit punch and Cac is consistently excellent :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2021, 11:55:50 AM »
Here is my lemon meringue/Ppk review:

Flavor: average sweetness for a mango, it had a light refreshing flavor with a hint of lemon, it does truly taste like lemon meringue because of the lightness/fluffy texture, hint of lemon combined with the sweetness.

Other comments: seems to be one of the earliest ripening mangoes and doesn’t have any disease or production issues that I’ve been told.

Overall it’s not one for my yard since I’m looking for one that truly amazes me and I already have 2 early season varieties but it’s definitely a good mango. For me I’m not as interested in lemon desserts so maybe that’s playing into my decision, I like lemon more in savory applications. Obviously taste is super subjective so anyone else can post their reviews/opinions too.

My thoughts/my reaction/my review are very similar to yours. I'm hoping that as mango season progresses it gets a little more wow to it. So far from last season to this season the Citrus and coconut profiles are not where my taste Cravings are. I should have more of a solid opinion by the end of the season

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
A PPK should actually be very sweet and pretty intense lemon candy flavor (creamy lemon meringue custard).  If not pick properly aka fully yellow colored,  it will lack its flavor and sweetness. This is definitely one that would suffer from being picked mature green or before the green has faded.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »
It was very good, still I’m looking for that one in a million tree for my yard. My daughter loved it though so maybe I will get a tree. Still waiting for that sugarloaf mango I paid 85$ to try to ripen lol

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2021, 01:30:12 PM »
It was very good, still I’m looking for that one in a million tree for my yard. My daughter loved it though so maybe I will get a tree. Still waiting for that sugarloaf mango I paid 85$ to try to ripen lol
Yeah it took a lot of negotiating but I was able to get one. While it was ripening I kept asking my wife can it go one more day until finally she said we have to eat it tonight. I wanted to make sure that we got the coconut taste. I never tell her what a mango variety is  supposed to taste.I Like to just watch her face.Then get her reaction.  She said it is very sweet. I then afterwards I ask did you taste coconut the answer was no. I didn't taste it either maybe we waited too long. As for PPK same thing. Did not tell her anything. After the first one she says this is very unique then at the second one she looked at me and said this tastes like orange sherbert. So I am happy that she likes it since I have the tree. I was hoping that she would taste coconut in E4 since I have that tree and this is it's third summer in the ground and it's about 5 feet tall and bushy. It's really hard to form an opinion just on one or two samples unless it turns out to be really great. Like the first time I had a Dot Instant love not an infatuation love :)
Neither tree did I let carry fruit per Rob. E4 is on its second flush and I'm hoping for a maximum growth this season

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »
Awesome, I've seen sugarloaf described as having a coconut flavor too so I'll post my review soon for that.  It's still rock hard right now!  My child recognized the lemon flavor in PPK.  The good thing about PPK is that it's an early season mango.  Family members always have to be considered when planting a tree for sure.  Right now I only have Glenn and Pickering at my home, both early season.  Glenn is amazing this year but for some reason Pickering tastes horrible.  I remember it being good before but this year it's fibrous and bland and tastes like Tommy Atkins?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2021, 09:59:26 AM »
Awesome, I've seen sugarloaf described as having a coconut flavor too so I'll post my review soon for that.  It's still rock hard right now!  My child recognized the lemon flavor in PPK.  The good thing about PPK is that it's an early season mango.  Family members always have to be considered when planting a tree for sure.  Right now I only have Glenn and Pickering at my home, both early season.  Glenn is amazing this year but for some reason Pickering tastes horrible.  I remember it being good before but this year it's fibrous and bland and tastes like Tommy Atkins?
How odd for your Pickering to be that bad!  Fibrous?  Tommy Atkins?  Sounds like the tree is missing something.  Usually they improve once their season kicks in.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
How odd for your Pickering to be that bad!  Fibrous?  Tommy Atkins?  Sounds like the tree is missing something.  Usually they improve once their season kicks in.

I have had bad/insipid versions of most varieties in certain years.  I just dont see why all the craziness over a Pickering.   They can be ok to good when at their best but cant see why they are treated as the be all to end all (in terms of fruit quality...I know many like them for the tree's growth habit).
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »

I have had bad/insipid versions of most varieties in certain years.  I just dont see why all the craziness over a Pickering.   They can be ok to good when at their best but cant see why they are treated as the be all to end all (in terms of fruit quality...I know many like them for the tree's growth habit).

Probably true but when I first moved here I didn't know about all these different mango varieties.  I picked my trees in 2013 based on tasting the fruit at Pine Island Nursery and what varieties they offer there.  At that time I thought PIN was the gold standard for mango trees and fruit.

I don't remember it being this bad before, I actually preferred it over Glenn last year.  Fruit varies from year to year, like some years certain trees don't fruit at all based on some weird factor with the weather.  That's why you have to have a lot of trees lol

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
I think Pickering and Glenn make a wonderful Cornerstone to build your Grove on. If you add sweet tart for a dessert mango and maybe fruit punch for its size and taste. I think you're going to be quite happy. I'm going to try to purchase a good-sized quantity of fruit punch. I really like its flavor and I want to make a gallon of juice. I think it will be top tier juice.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:46:52 PM by bovine421 »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 01:57:25 PM »

Yes, it’s a good mango,but there are so many better ones that you can keep small with a little more effort.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
I think Pickering and Glenn make a wonderful Cornerstone to build your Grove on. If you add sweet tart for a dessert mango and maybe fruit punch for its size and taste. I think you're going to be quite happy. I'm going to try to purchase a good-sized quantity of fruit punch. I really like its flavor and I want to make a gallon of juice. I think it will be top tier juice.

The term "dessert" mango, just like "condo" mango...abused and nonsense term.  Is there a non-dessert mango?
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »

The term "dessert" mango, just like "condo" mango...abused and nonsense term.  Is there a non-dessert mango?
Yes diamond LOL
And maybe the Vulcan

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 03:50:01 PM »

Last year I bought a couple Lemon Zest that were very fibrous, had a strong Carry spice and no citrus flavor. I think some trees just have an off year sometimes. Sometimes they have on years too, the Pickerings I was buying last year seemed extra sweet and had a strong coconut flavor that I have tasted in past years!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »

Last year I bought a couple Lemon Zest that were very fibrous, had a strong Carry spice and no citrus flavor. I think some trees just have an off year sometimes. Sometimes they have on years too, the Pickerings I was buying last year seemed extra sweet and had a strong coconut flavor that I have tasted in past years!

You sure it was a Lemon Zest you bought and not a mis-named fruit?  I have eaten 100s of LZs and NEVER had one that even comes close to that description. Your description sounds more like an East Indian or Madame Frances.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2021, 05:04:51 PM »

Yes diamond LOL
And maybe the Vulcan
Does anyone know if the Mercurial Marvel is a fibrous juice mango or dessert

I need to get down to Homestead and try the Peyote Gorilla mango. Wait a minute that's cannabis.🤣

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2021, 05:41:45 PM »

You sure it was a Lemon Zest you bought and not a mis-named fruit?  I have eaten 100s of LZs and NEVER had one that even comes close to that description. Your description sounds more like an East Indian or Madame Frances.

That is entirely possible.  I did compare them to pictures after eating one and they did look like LZ but it looks like the two you mentioned are similar as well.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
Why on earth would you make mango juice? You can't make mango juice because you cannot juice a mango. Let me guess. You put mango pulp in a blender along with some ice cubes and some water. Am I close? Wow, that is a lot of messy work separating pulp from skin and seeds. Then you refrigerate it. Far easier to refrigerate a favorite mango(s) and eat it directly. This is not diluted by water and ice cubes.

What you can make is watermelon rind juice. The seedless ones always have such thick skins. So don't toss them. They are 25% of what you paid for. Take the rind and juice it along with some ginger root and some limes. Juice the entire lime. You can substitute other citrus if you like.  So refreshing in the summer. I had some yesterday. If you are into cocktails this makes a fine base to add some vodka and other stuffs to.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 07:36:26 PM by zands »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »
Why on earth would you make mango juice? You can't make mango juice because you cannot juice a mango. Let me guess. You put mango pulp in a blender along with some ice cubes and some water. Am I close? Wow, that is a lot of messy work separating pulp from skin and seeds. Then you refrigerate it. Far easier to refrigerate a favorite mango(s) and eat it directly. This is not diluted by water and ice cubes.

What you can make is watermelon rind juice. The seedless ones always have such thick skins. So don't toss them. They are 25% of what you paid for. Take the rind and juice it along with some ginger root and some limes. Juice the entire lime. You can substitute other citrus if you like.  So refreshing in the summer. I had some yesterday. If you are into cocktails this makes a fine base to add some vodka and other stuffs to.
Why would you dilute alcohol? You drink it for the effect not to taste. The same reason I drink guava juice mixed with Barbados cherries. Golden apple juice because I like it I can afford it. And here shortly in a few weeks or so I'm going to have a surplus. It's called variety. This is what West Indians and probably Indians do with mango drops that are bruised and maybe a little mushy. I like it so much I bought a fruit punch tree just for that. I'm going to take it to the next level. I'm the one holding the camera.Lol🙂

These are mango drops. Thanks Alex!
You do realize South Florida is three or four weeks ahead of Central Florida  That's why I go down for the early mangos. I also get top-tier mangoes to sample that I possibly would want to graft
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:00:42 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »

Why would you dilute alcohol? You drink it for the effect not to taste. The same reason I drink guava juice mixed with Barbados cherries. Golden apple juice because I like it I can afford it. And here shortly in a few weeks or so I'm going to have a surplus. It's called variety. This is what West Indians and probably Indians do with mango drops that are bruised and maybe a little mushy. I like it so much I bought a fruit punch tree just for that. I'm going to take it to the next level. I'm the one holding the camera.Lol🙂

These are mango drops thanks Alex
You do realize South Florida is three or four weeks ahead of Central Florida  That's why I go down for the early mangos. I also get top-tier mangoes to sample that I possibly would want to graft

I agree, why dilute alcohol but not for the effect, I do drink undiluted FOR the taste.  I drink bourbon and rye neat, and barrel proof/cask strength.   Almost all I have is between 110-135 proof and it does not see a drop of water or a cube of ice.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk