Author Topic: T bud rootstock sprout question  (Read 553 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
T bud rootstock sprout question
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
I have this White Piri grafted onto Piva rootstock. Piva is a very good mango. It has sprouted opposite of the T Bud graft. Could I should I would it be wise to let it grow and have a cocktail tree or is the position of sprout in a precarious spot?

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: T bud rootstock sprout question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »
Remove them both.
- Rob

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:58:18 AM »
Looks like you have two potential Piva branches growing on there. I wonder how strong the union is with the White Piri, might not be great (which could be why the Piva rootstock is pushing new branches). You could let them develop for awhile on the rootstock and then take them for grafting onto some of this year's seedlings. You might get a Piva tree or two out of it; they would likely take awhile to produce fruit since they came from the rootstock, but Piva sounds like it would do okay in a container for awhile.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
Looks like you have two potential Piva branches growing on there. I wonder how strong the union is with the White Piri, might not be great (which could be why the Piva rootstock is pushing new branches). You could let them develop for awhile on the rootstock and then take them for grafting onto some of this year's seedlings. You might get a Piva tree or two out of it; they would likely take awhile to produce fruit since they came from the rootstock, but Piva sounds like it would do okay in a container for awhile.

They will take energy from the graft...plus, they are extremely low.  They should be removed...
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »

They will take energy from the graft...plus, they are extremely low.  They should be removed...

This is excellent advice.  Don't allow epicormic sprouts near or below your grafts.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
Depends on his priorities. If the sole goal is getting the White Piri big as fast as possible, sure, knock them off. He's obviously interested in Piva, epicormic sprouts make good scions, letting one or even both develop for a few months and then removing them wouldn't be the death of the tree. The growing season in Florida has only yet begun and the WP is the tallest branch, it'll be fine as long as the tree is receiving proper sunlight and nutrition.