Author Topic: Your weapon of choice?  (Read 1243 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Your weapon of choice?
« on: July 05, 2021, 02:46:39 PM »
Was watching the CRFG video on Gary Zill and thought his knife looked like my Victorinox paring knife. I got a fancier Victorinox chef's knife as a dedicated mango slayer, but I honestly prefer their paring knives to the chef's knife. Anyone have a preferred mango slayer?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Your weapon of choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »
I just use a big 8" chef knife, it's my go to for pretty much everything.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »
I have the same orange handle victorinox and it's what I use for mango.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »
serrated pocket knife

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »
I always worry with folding knives gunk will get trapped somewhere in them. I've also had some cheap ones fall apart😂 Though I will say, my most often used knife as I go around the garden is a $1 folding pocket knife from a flea-market. Had it for a couple years and it's still going strong.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 05:10:23 PM »
Go for the common blunt serrated knife. I have them placed at different parts of my garden so I can always grab one for a quick pruning, cutting into fruits and other matters. This image shows the Victorinox version. You want the cheaper knockoff that restaurants put on your table. Ask the owner if you can buy ten from him. Or hit a restaurant supply store.

Whoever invented serrated should get a Nobel prize. Harbor Freight sells a machete that is normal blade on one side. Viciously sharp serrated on the other. Of course I bought two. I gave one away. ----- https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-machete-with-serrated-blade-62683.html

Paring knives? 4 for a dollar at my local Dollar Tree.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:18:11 PM by zands »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 08:24:31 AM »
I have the same orange handle victorinox . Can be sharpened even more that factory, inexpensive, looses the edge with minimal use. A good tool for some things. I like it to clean shoots from top worked trees.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 03:05:50 AM »
I occasionally use my victorinox grafting knife, but I've found that a wood chisel gets a much more controlled wedge cut on the scion. For the rootstock, gardening shears tend to get a much straighter cut than I can with my grafting knife.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »
A regular old razor knife with a good blade works great for me.
Trying to grow it all!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 02:48:15 AM »
Though the 8" victorinox is an excellent all-purpose, I do prefer a thinner victorinox boning or fillet knife 6-7" when processing mango, as I can make tighter turns around the seed (like the bone of a chicken thigh) while preserving the delicate flesh. I find that If I do that with a chef's knife with a broader blade, I usually pry the meat of the cheek back too much and bend the flesh while rounding the seed. The other benefit of these two blades is that they are tempered, and can be useful for removing the skin due to the flexibility of the blade (like skinning fish). I don't eat the skin of all mangoes, and when processing large quantities, it really helps to get closer to the skin.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 05:40:38 AM »
Thanks, Oolie, that's helpful info! I have a feeling I'll be adding those to my pantry.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 05:47:38 PM »
You call those knives? A 12 inch razor sharp blade is needed and it could come in handy for intruders also. Seriously a sharp, short bladed safe knife is all you need rather than a Bowie special or an australian 14 inch blade for taking down buffalo.