Author Topic: Mango men of Homestead are out of fruit for the season.Whose next?  (Read 1877 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Will Seacrest Boulevard make it through August?
I will be in West Palm Beach later today that will be the first question I ask.
For next season I'm going to try to book 3rd week of June first week of July.
How has it this season compared to last season?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango men of Homestead are out of fruit for the season.Whose next?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 07:34:39 AM »
It varies from year to year.  Therevare alao multiple factors that can have an effect on crop size and timing.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
The first  two weeks of August was the last posting for Saturday mangos on Truly Tropical Facebook page. It was down to Valencia pride and Keitt.

This is a Valencia Pride drop from this morning
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:28:52 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »
Closed for business and "out of fruit" are 2 different things.

No way someone with that many varieties has no good mid to late season mangoes.

Doc still has mangoes; he's just shut down shop, hoarding them all for himself. Eating them in the closet, laughing...

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »
The first  two weeks of August was the last posting for Saturday mangos on Truly Tropical Facebook page. It was down to Valencia pride and Keitt.

This is a Valencia Pride drop from this morning

I tried VP for the first time this season and I think it's very underrated. Am I imagining some coconut taste in it?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 03:05:32 PM »
I picked out most my trees today. Sad day.
This season was earlier then most. Last year was a little earlier.
I still have Neelam and Keitt but considering I'm already picking Neelam I don't expect to have mangos in September.
Been picking more then I can eat personally since May.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 04:09:40 PM »
skhan, how do you determine when your Neelams are ready to pick? Thanks!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »
Alex at Tropical Acres Farms has many cultivars left for sale daily.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »

Matter of fact, he will post few boxes online at 7pm later today.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »

Yes he does

This is my friend Buxton. I hope he does not invite his friends over for a mango party while I am out of town >:(

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:03:52 PM by bovine421 »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 06:40:37 PM »
skhan, how do you determine when your Neelams are ready to pick? Thanks!
I started picking because a bunch have been dropping.
This is the one mango you don't want to pick when yellowing.
It's still pretty earlier so I'm not holding out hope that these will be spectacular.
I find them pretty forgiven to pick though. Even whens it's half black and wrinkly on the outside it's still pretty good.
Once the tip turns yellow on the tree it's two late.
Having that problem with orange sherbet too

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »

Thanks Alex :)

This is when you know you've reached South Florida

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:32:59 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »
Truly tropical Facebook page

Open tomorrow... Wednesday, July 14... 5-6:00pm

We will not be offering online sales for tomorrow.
You can select your mangos from our cart full of picked mangos.
Varieties will include Keitt, Kent, Neelam, Beverly, and Marlys.

Our supply of mangos for tomorrow looks very good, but it looks like mango season will last for a few more weeks.... :(

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »
Alex with the incredible ALL-STAR LINE-UP this year just blew me away.

Still my top 2:

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 01:25:09 AM »
I still have loads of Sweet Tarts and Lemon Zest and some Lemon Meringue and plenty Orange Sherbets. Loads of Cotton Candy. Hatcher’s and Valencia Orides and Venus and a few M-4’s loads of Keitt and just 1 Kathy and a partridge in a pear tree!
I am most pleased with the timing of my O Sherbet’s picking time which is this Friday July 16 and I believe that the readiness of Sweet Tart to be picked the last 3 weeks and probably another 2 weeks is an amazing length of time for a variety to have a window of picking and that’s probably why ST’s get so many splits besides from all the rain. Sweet Tarts literally tell you when to pick them. I love the way Lemon Zest tells you when to pick it and how it’s colors tell you when to cut them open at the exact time. I love that Lemon Meringues are still green on the trees on July 13th. I don’t like that Cotton Candies in the shade towards the end when they are sweetened up get anthracnose skin but the ones in the sun keep the cotton Candy look. I hate how hard it is to know the perfect time to cut into a pineapple Pleasure. I now think it’s got to be opened when it’s more green than yellow. And still have a handful of Venus left. Also going to significantly boost my numbers of Orange Sherbet and Kathy trees by topping many trees and converting them. After this season I don’t see the need to have 5 trees of a variety so I’m going convert most of the trees that I only have 1 to 5 of unless they taste really special to me and my wife like Juicy Peach.  Eg Hatcher Harvest Moon Coconut Cream Spirit of 76 Duncan these will be converted plus more like Phoenix Seacrest Van Dyke and more.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 06:43:12 AM »
My strategy with orange Sherbert is I pick one on July 9th. It's in a box ripening to finny. If it's not ready I'm going to pick another one and wait another week. I will do this until I get one that's ready.  I will pay attention for any yellowing. Particularly on the nose. Going to Zill high performance just say I've been there and done that

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:51:19 AM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 07:07:36 AM »
I still have loads of Sweet Tarts and Lemon Zest and some Lemon Meringue and plenty Orange Sherbets. Loads of Cotton Candy. Hatcher’s and Valencia Orides and Venus and a few M-4’s loads of Keitt and just 1 Kathy and a partridge in a pear tree!
I am most pleased with the timing of my O Sherbet’s picking time which is this Friday July 16 and I believe that the readiness of Sweet Tart to be picked the last 3 weeks and probably another 2 weeks is an amazing length of time for a variety to have a window of picking and that’s probably why ST’s get so many splits besides from all the rain. Sweet Tarts literally tell you when to pick them. I love the way Lemon Zest tells you when to pick it and how it’s colors tell you when to cut them open at the exact time. I love that Lemon Meringues are still green on the trees on July 13th. I don’t like that Cotton Candies in the shade towards the end when they are sweetened up get anthracnose skin but the ones in the sun keep the cotton Candy look. I hate how hard it is to know the perfect time to cut into a pineapple Pleasure. I now think it’s got to be opened when it’s more green than yellow. And still have a handful of Venus left. Also going to significantly boost my numbers of Orange Sherbet and Kathy trees by topping many trees and converting them. After this season I don’t see the need to have 5 trees of a variety so I’m going convert most of the trees that I only have 1 to 5 of unless they taste really special to me and my wife like Juicy Peach.  Eg Hatcher Harvest Moon Coconut Cream Spirit of 76 Duncan these will be converted plus more like Phoenix Seacrest Van Dyke and more.

I call the partridge in the pear tree
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 08:50:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Friday is going to be our last day of regular hours. We’ve been open daily since April so we’ve done alright.

Going to sell by appointment after that, into August I would expect.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 08:55:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Friday is going to be our last day of regular hours. We’ve been open daily since April so we’ve done alright.

Going to sell by appointment after that, into August I would expect.
And do you know what will be available on Friday??
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 02:34:37 PM »

I went to Zill high performance plants today and it looks like I will get to try Carla finally. So I've exceeded all my goals for the season. Except I want to try buxton  spice and I see if it's more Buxton then spice or Spice than buxton.

Zills had plenty of diamonds. I put one in my bucket then I talked myself out of it. Since no one wants to talk about Carla I will give it a review
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:44:34 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 09:14:37 PM »

I went to Zill high performance plants today and it looks like I will get to try Carla finally. So I've exceeded all my goals for the season. Except I want to try buxton  spice and I see if it's more Buxton then spice or Spice than buxton.

Zills had plenty of diamonds. I put one in my bucket then I talked myself out of it. Since no one wants to talk about Carla I will give it a review
Well I for one want to know about Carla.  If the flavor resembles Kent, having hints of other fruits other than citrus, pineapple, or coconut.
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 09:33:23 PM »
Bovine, Diamond sucks. You ain’t missing anything! Super lame vegetable taste. Hard to believe it’s even a named variety.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 01:30:15 PM »

Well I for one want to know about Carla.  If the flavor resembles Kent, having hints of other fruits other than citrus, pineapple, or coconut.
John to give you a scale of reference I took this photo. All the Carla's I got from zills were surprisingly big to me. Since I've never tasted Kent I can't help you with that but I will give a very simplistic review I'm mostly focusing on the classic acid component.

The good news is I was able to score some more Little Gem's. LG life is great :)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:33:19 PM by bovine421 »