Author Topic: Can’t be a Duncan, right?  (Read 1042 times)

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Can’t be a Duncan, right?
« on: July 22, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
I bought this tree a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be a Duncan but this fruit doesn’t resemble one. Plus the skin is edible. It’s a delicious fruit but it’s too strong for my kids, could it be a Julie? Orange flesh and fiberless.

Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t be a Duncan, right?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:52:32 PM »
Could be Juliette. Is the skin thick?

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 06:40:43 AM »
It’s a really thin edible skin. It’s a very sweet fruit and strong resin flavor near the skin. Thank you, I never had a Juliette so can’t compare, do you think this is one? Thank you.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:46:13 AM »
What is the tree's growth habit?  Maybe post pictures of the bhb tree and leaves
- Rob

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 07:22:54 AM »
Thank you Rob, here is the tree. It’s moderate vigor and quite disease resistant being out here in western palm beach. I need to put it into the ground soon. Thinking it was duncan I grafted a lemon zest and k3 onto it last year and both grafts fruited and held fruit. I remember duncan being a milder fruit that I couldn’t eat the skin, this fruit was too sweet and strong for the kids but I like it a lot.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
Idk, that fruit description sounds like the fruit I just ate off my Duncan.  Super sweet with some resinous flavor.

I don’t recall the skin being “edible” or super thin or anything though...

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 02:58:46 PM »
Definitely not a Duncan. The Duncan fruit is larger and shaped different.
The skin is not edible
I ate one Julie this year from a friends tree and it looked like the
picture you posted. Very good sweet and spicey mango made me want to get another tree.
I remember it having a little fiber
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:21:35 PM by achetadomestica »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »
Thanks guy. I definitely like the fruit, I’m just curious what this may be. I like eating skins but Duncan’s I can’t handle. I think achetadomestica is in the right track, it’s reminiscent of carries and Julies. It has less fiber than the julies I’ve had, and it’s more elongated, the flesh is also darker. I guess it’s a fortunate mislabel because It tastes better than Duncan’s, though my kids like Duncan’s mild flavor. Thank you.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 04:58:21 PM »
Thanks guy. I definitely like the fruit, I’m just curious what this may be. I like eating skins but Duncan’s I can’t handle. I think achetadomestica is in the right track, it’s reminiscent of carries and Julies. It has less fiber than the julies I’ve had, and it’s more elongated, the flesh is also darker. I guess it’s a fortunate mislabel because It tastes better than Duncan’s, though my kids like Duncan’s mild flavor. Thank you.

Some Duncans are definitely better than others (off the same tree in the same season, just different crop times) and I can't comment on the edibility of the skin (of any mango cause I dont eat mango skin).  I will say that not all Duncans are small.  I have seen many a large Duncans off of one if Walter's trees, weight definitely over 1lb.

That fruit doesnt look like Julie nor does the tree.  Fruit doesnt look totally like Juliette either but hard to tell 100%.  The growth habit of the Juliette is upright and moderately vigorous.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
Doesn't look like any Duncan I've seen.
Duncan has a bitter skin like NDM or Cac so I wouldn't consider any of these as edible skin.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 09:38:32 PM »
Thank you ! I really appreciate the feedback. When I get more fruit next year I would like for you all to try it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk