Author Topic: Tropical plant question but not fruit  (Read 520 times)

toadshade

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta 7 A/B
    • View Profile
Tropical plant question but not fruit
« on: July 24, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
Don't really know where else to ask something like this but thought someone here might know about tropical plants in general.  I have been trying for years to get a philodendron to climb.  I have a thousand small philodendrons and pothos and every now and then one will grab ahold of a picket or my deck and shoot straight up.  But I have never been able to get it to do that on my own by using ties and posts.  I have even placed boards near it and stakes but nothing seems to provoke it into giving it that desire to cling to something and climb.  Any ideas?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Tropical plant question but not fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 11:50:41 AM »
Philodendrons, like fruit bearing climbers, generally have a strong desire to climb.  The only problem I have seen here is if the climbing surface has been treated, painted, or in some way repels the epiphyte.
Peter

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 05:52:28 PM »
Another thing to check/consider is moisture and sunlight.

I keep vines, climbers, and epiphytes well watered and partially to fully shaded until they take hold and start to show some new growth.

Depending on the weather, some orchids and tillandsias have been stubborn to take hold, even on my oak tree.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:40:23 AM »
Why dont u try monstera instead?? It has basically the same look, also climbs trees and stuff and is said to produce a very tasty fruit ....

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
Monstera is a philodendron.  I’m assuming that it won’t climb either for him for some reason.  It’s just another of the same.  They should all climb but there is some other problem.
Peter