Author Topic: Hybrid vigor and Annona hybrids  (Read 708 times)

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Hybrid vigor and Annona hybrids
« on: September 07, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
I studied Food Science in college, but in my office I had a good friend who was doing a PhD in agronomy.  He knew a lot about plant genetics, and he was the first person how explained to me about "hybrid vigor".   This was in Texas A&M.  We were working mostly on cereals, particularly sorghum.   The basic concept is that you have two varieties, each one with specific qualities.  If you interbreed these varieties, you obtain a hybrid, which has BETTER properties than each of the original varieties.  Hence the term hybrid "vigor".    A "problem" with hybrids however is that you typically can't propagate them properly by seeds, because the resulting plants are not true to the parent hybrid, but rather you get a lot of variability.

Inter-species hybrids are even more interesting - at least to me -, and the things that have been done with Annonas I find fascinating.  Atemoyas (A. squamosa x A. cherimola), Cherilatas (A. cherimola X A. reticulata [custard apple]), Sugarlatas (A. squamosa X A. reticulata), and other things people are doing I find fascinating.

I was wondering if anyone here is working breeding annona hybrids?   I have a ton of questions....  :) 
For example, when breeding atemoyas, does it make a difference if the female flower is a Sugar Apple or the Cherimoya?  Another question, I have seen that people take an Atemoya female flower and fertilize it again with Sugar Apple pollen... What happens when you do this?  Is the hybrid vigor mantained? 

I have been searching for more information on this subject, but can't find much....

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid vigor and Annona hybrids
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »
I recall the Australians were doing some systematic work on this.
I saw several google results this is dated but tells some of the story:

https://www.horticulture.com.au/globalassets/laserfiche/assets/project-reports/cu11000/cu11000-final-report-complete-2.pdf

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 04:26:31 PM »
I recall the Australians were doing some systematic work on this.
I saw several google results this is dated but tells some of the story:

https://www.horticulture.com.au/globalassets/laserfiche/assets/project-reports/cu11000/cu11000-final-report-complete-2.pdf

Thanks a lot!

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »
I follow Annonabreedingproject on instagram. Them seem to be doing work in that regards.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk